What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sacramento Stallions

joshreading

Staff member
AMNRL (or more specifically Utah) have announced another team in development - Sacramento Stallions.

clarency

Juniors
For some reason the "AMNRL" lowers my confidence in such announcements...

They really are carrying a stigma at this point.

joshreading

Staff member
I've no idea - I also don't feel a great sense of confidence in the professional nature of the AMNRL. Such is not to say that there are not guys working hard for the game but it is an organisation that is in no way run with transparency, is unusually unaccountable (as is seen in their not being in the RLEF which requires outside approval) and has made alot of claims without any substance so promises are cheap.

I think that Hawaii and Utah are the AMNRL's keys for national footprint.

Utah will likely start a locally based comp without too much problem now that it is all on a roll. I don't particularly buy their 'we switched teams to play more club games statement' when USARL teams in the West (from my limited understanding) were organising games (though of course with no gaurantee) Also when they themselves say they are trying to start a six team local comp. I can see why they might switch to be eligible to play for the Tomahawks, that is a clear attraction for getting players to play for your local team. Also their captain - Sione clearly had NO IDEA as to what was going on really as is evident on their facebook wall.

Hawaii will get up due to their strong Rugby Connections and like the Islands in general a desperation to make a 'pro' career out of the sport. Whether, they become Rugby League loyal though is another thing. Jack does seem to straddle the fence (and I can see why) but the primary motivation does seem to be 'pro' rugby league not Rugby League. I think that the comp that gets up on the West Coast will slowly take dominance. I do personally see some credibility in such an approach (though it is limited) and think the NRL should pay some direct attention to Hawaii.

Sharks Forever

Juniors
My understanding is they are a rugby team (playing under a different name) that are considering playing league as well. Again another Polynesian-based team, and probably along the lines of the Hawaii comp, a foot in each camp.

I don't think there's anything definite yet. I'd treat the Facebook message as a show of support from one expansion team to another possible start-up team, not any sort of official announcement (despite the wording).

Utah will likely start a locally based comp without too much problem now that it is all on a roll. I don't particularly buy their 'we switched teams to play more club games statement' when USARL teams in the West (from my limited understanding) were organising games (though of course with no gaurantee) Also when they themselves say they are trying to start a six team local comp. I can see why they might switch to be eligible to play for the Tomahawks, that is a clear attraction for getting players to play for your local team.
I can honestly say the Tomahawks is the last thing on any of our minds, we are a long way from that. It really is just about getting some home games to show the local rugby players that this is a real sport/opportunity.

Last edited:

DINGb@T

Juniors
Sorry but is that Sacremento, California? If so would they be playing against the Utah teams (only AMNRL teams out that way aren't they?) or teams like the OC Outlaws etc which I thought were USARL 'aligned'.

deluded pom?

Coach
Sorry but is that Sacremento, California? If so would they be playing against the Utah teams (only AMNRL teams out that way aren't they?) or teams like the OC Outlaws etc which I thought were USARL 'aligned'.

In the real world you'd think the AMNRL and the USARL would be happy for the teams in the west that are aligned to them to provide opposition for each other until as and when they can support themselves with the quantity of teams required to form a viable comp. What's the use of having four teams in the west, two each aligned with the AMNRL and the USARL and they only ever get to play each of the teams from their league?

Latest posts