What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary cap forcing Feleti Mateo out

fanaticeel

Juniors
I know Dutchy's a nice guy and offers insightful comment, at times :sarcasm: , however... Manly Leagues Club and Football Club and especially Brookvale Oval should be burned to the ground and the earth salted. :lol:

fanaticeel

Juniors
It seems that Dutchy's a nice guy and offers insightful comment, at times :sarcasm: , however... Manly Leagues Club and Football Club and especially Brookvale Oval should be burned to the ground and the earth salted. :lol:

You couldn't be a merkin....merkins are useful... ;-)

84 Baby

Referee
I know Dutchy's a nice guy and offers insightful comment, at times :sarcasm: , however... Manly Leagues Club and Football Club and especially Brookvale Oval should be burned to the ground and the earth salted. :lol:
I've got the salt

bradeel

Juniors
Many of you have already posted comments of this nature over the past 5 pages, but let me just add my substantial dislike for this story as my first contribution for 2010, particularly my anger at the muckraking inaccuracy of the headline. This feels like a beat up of the greatest proportions with absolutely no substance other than speculating around the following 2 facts:

1. Parra are, like all clubs, subject to the salary cap and as a result, will have trouble juggling current contracts with the anticipated upgrades for players coming off contract at the end of 2010 that they want to keep.

2. Feleti Mateo is one of a number of players coming off contract at the end of 2010 who has possibly already attracted some interest from a few rival clubs.

Within the story, Osborne asserts strongly that Mateo is part of the club's future and the player himself confirms that he wants to stay at the club. So where is the damning evidence that Mateo is going to be forced out, as per the headline?? The only iota of suggestion that Mateo's future at Parra might be in some doubt is when he admits that he'd understand if the club couldn't afford to keep him along with all of their stars. But certainly no comment that he has been told that this will be the case or that he has been put on notice that only a massive year will see him get another contract or the like.

I probably should take a chill pill and accept that this is what happens when you even glance at the Telegraph's backpage or website, but the damn thing nearly made me choke on my cornflakes and I just reckon there needs to be a bit more accountability in reporting and editing.

My own feeling is that I am confident that as long as his form stays strong, the re-signing of Mateo, along with Fui Fui will be one of the top priorities for the club. The club has already shed a substantial number of fringe players in the off season (mostly in an exodus to the Sharks) and we all seem fairly confident that Cayless and one of Grothe or Burt will finish up at the end of 2010 freeing up a bit of cash.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
10 minutes out of your beauty sleep probably wont make that much difference.

(obviously meant for Dutchy)

parra pete

Referee
Canberra. Not entirely there fault but do they even reach half the salary cap? They definitely going well above their weight division

Raiders have used all their Salary Cap, topping up outstanding juniors Dugan, Thompson (Joel), Croker, Daniel Vidot, Travis Waddell, as well as resigning Leahroyd Lars, Campo..
They mightn't be a force in 2010, but watch for them in 2011....

bradeel

Juniors
Good luck with that :lol:

yeah, crazy i know. I wonder how that conversation would go;

bradeel: Hi Rupert. I was wondering if you could tell your journos to perhaps tone it down a little when writing complete bullsh*t and instead put together stories based in fact a little more often.

Rupert Murdoch: Security...

bradeel

Juniors
Yeah the headline could just as easily said "Salary cap forcing Tim Robinson out"

Exactly. Obviously much less newsworthy, but based in the same level of truth and actually possibly even a more likely outcome than Mateo leaving.