What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary cap forcing Feleti Mateo out

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
if we don't go one further this year, i reckon alot of those off contract will want to stick around one more year to have another shot with this team. at the moment you can just feel the love
is that what that is?

Stagger eel

Staff member
if we don't go one further this year, i reckon alot of those off contract will want to stick around one more year to have another shot with this team. at the moment you can just feel the love

I think you'll find that regardless of how we go this year, those players who are off contract would of had their futures sorted out months before this years gf.

born an eel

Bench
Someone mentioned it above that he could do what Hindy did - say he agrees to play on for 2011 & 2012 for $200k a season then instead of paying him $400k this year, we pay him $300k this year then $250k in 2011 & 2012. We could then go to Tahu and give him the freed up $100k this year then cut his 2011 & 2012 salaries by $50k each
and then we will have people complaining in 2012 that he is on $250K.

Unfortunately people wouldn't acknowledge the sacrifices he made for the club and still try to push him out. His salary has already been deferred once and as yy pointed out he would be loosing out by not receiving his due money up front.

yy_cheng

Coach

I think Caylo and Burt will and for little money too!

But Mortz, FFMM, Feleti will consider the $$ aspects as well.

My priorities would still be FFMM, Feleti, Mortz, Caylo, Burt in that order.

For mine, Mortz is young and still has alot to prove.
Caylo because there are not many props around.
Now with the outside backs that we will have in 2011:

1. Hayne,
3. Reddy
4. Tahu

I think 2 and 5 can be filled in by youngster like Wright, Etu as you can't really carry such a star studded backline.

At worst, Bouncing Benny could pop back in the centres to cover injuries.

jk13

First Grade
i was probably thinking more growthe, burt and cayless. surely they have the greatest potential to be sacrificed to keep mateo. which might result in their contracts being sorted out last.
i don't know about you jess, but since last year, when i see an eels jersey, the blood pumps and the pride swells :lol:

Delboy

First Grade
Let's calm down, the story goes on to say that the club wants him to stay, he wants to stay etc etc etc

If we believe everything his management put out to get a deal done, then I am dating Jennifer Hawkins. Every week it is a different player forced out, and then the question is, what about the other clubs, won't Bulldogs, Saints,Manly etc be under pressure with their players to keep under the cap.

Parra sells papers and we need to read beyond trhe rubbish headline, and stop selecting teams that have no relevance to the current roster, this gets to seem like we are lot of whingers and panic merchants. "keep the juniors', "buy new players", "don't lose anyone" , " let's rebuild".

Enjoy the day and don't look too far into the future , as we aren't there yet, last time Mateo came off contract, the Terror said he had signed a 3 year deal at Manly, next day he committed to 3 years with Parra.

84 Baby

Referee

Unfortunately people wouldn't acknowledge the sacrifices he made for the club and still try to push him out. His salary has already been deferred once and as yy pointed out he would be loosing out by not receiving his due money up front.
Totally agree that he isn't acknowledged as one of out best leaders.
On the deferred money issue, even if he found a magic investment paying 20%, he'd only be missing out on a potential $15k a year. How much does he value the chance to break the grand final drought?

Stagger eel

Staff member

I wouldn't worry about it bae, whilst a few haven't ackowledged it, there are plenty more that to, particularly those in and around the club, but if hypathetically speaking, if him and the club arrange for his sallary to be restructed this year to free 200K and extend his tenure by 2 seasons that I would definitely cop that.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Every Club has players being forced out by Salary Cap issues. Name one that hasn't...

well, funny you should say that, I've always maintained that Manly have not lost any player they wanted to keep, I'll still maintain it, even though it gets under the skin of Dutchy and his Manly mates...;-)

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm gonna have a nibble sweetie.

Glenn Hall, Steven Menzies, Jared WH.

the only one from that list that I'd cop would be JWH, but he didn't play a great deal of fg this year...you do have some handy replacements in Matt Cross and Joey G ;-)

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Hey we got Jeff Robson from them. Surely they wanted to keep Robbo!!

Stagger eel

Staff member
:lol::lol:

you wouldn't knock him back now!! :D

mind you I think Hodko, Foran and Cherry Evans will be more than capable replacements for Orford...

speaking of, please don't tell me you wanted to keep him...:roll:

Dutchy

Immortal
Mate. The day we announced Orford was gone, I was in tears of thorough enjoyment. What a hack that guy is. Foran and Hokko as a halves combo plz.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Mate. The day we announced Orford was gone, I was in tears of thorough enjoyment. What a hack that guy is. Foran and Hokko as a halves combo plz.

tbh, I reckon there were people closer to the club sharing the same emotion.

Latest posts