What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary cap forcing Feleti Mateo out

Snoochies

First Grade
Noticed the DT have changed the title of the article now. He May be forced out now.

Plus the title of the poll has changed from where do you think Feliti will be this year to where will Feliti end up.

lingard

Coach
I don`t understand how the Daily Telegraph still passes itself off as a NEWSpaper. Unbelievable!
The only reason you would buy the Telegraph would be for the racing guide, the television guide, and the footy guide on a Friday.

Delboy

First Grade
Our friend Cumberland Throw called Talkin Sport on 2SM this afternoon re this story and asked that they check in with Ossie ( among a lot of other things)

I was driving back from Newcastle and Osborne was on the show after the 5.30 pm news.

Basically he said they expect to keep Mateo and Mortimer, and in reality will be unlikely to lose anyone they want to retain. Suggested that it is possible they would stay for less than offered elsewhere because of the very good atmosphere etc at Parra.

There was also a suggestion that players at the end of their careers at the club would either take less or make room for younger players etc

As usual Ossie sounded very confident and upbeat, even Hughesy's Dogs bias couldn't put him off

Glenn

First Grade
Our friend Cumberland Throw called Talkin Sport on 2SM this afternoon re this story and asked that they check in with Ossie ( among a lot of other things)

I was driving back from Newcastle and Osborne was on the show after the 5.30 pm news.

Basically he said they expect to keep Mateo and Mortimer, and in reality will be unlikely to lose anyone they want to retain. Suggested that it is possible they would stay for less than offered elsewhere because of the very good atmosphere etc at Parra.

There was also a suggestion that players at the end of their careers at the club would either take less or make room for younger players etc

As usual Ossie sounded very confident and upbeat, even Hughesy's Dogs bias couldn't put him off

I would hope Ossie is being upbeat, but in reality I can't see anyone leaving they want to keep unless a substantial over the market value is paid.

yy_cheng

Coach
The thing is is that we aren't a club who will pay overs anymore and I think a few teams will pay overs for Mateo, Mortz or Fui.

Mateo and Fui have the x-factor and teams just might pay an additional $100K more than us.

Mortz would not be on that much. I'd say $150K is his worth if he has a good year this year.

So another club could throw $235k at him

ROGUE

Juniors
Now fitzy has left the building, you gotta wonder what the tele's motive is in continiously reporting on us so frequently when quite clearly they could focus on some other sydney clubs.As stagger stated previously it's now about the "feel good doggies" stories or our salary cap pressures or the chooks hassles with mason and carney.

Delboy

First Grade
Murray , I think there are a few better rosters out there that should have that question asked, Souths , how on earth did they sign Asotasi, Crocker,Taylor, Burgess, Sutton and stay under the cap? Ask Rusty?

We will have to do the same juggling as the Storm, Saints, Broncos etc, about time some different teams had that issue.

parra pete

Referee
lolllllllllllllllllllllll

Laugh all you like..... 2010 will be a developing year for the Green Machine.
2011 will see the rise and rise.....
Add Feliti, Krisnan, to the great young talent at the Raiders in 2011 and they will be a threat. They are going to be anyway, with the boys (e.g Campo, Monaghan, Dugan, Shillington, Croker, Vidot, Thompson, Al Tongue, Waddell, Justin Carney, Brophy, Fensom, the Picker boys, Tilse, Thurling, Leahroyd-Lars) they have already on their books.
The Raiders have a good roster already. Don't under estimate them, especially at Bruce Stadium....

grapeape

Juniors
That's the spirit! Get into them!
Dear Josh,
After you or one of the other hacks reads this, perhaps you can then go off to write about some actual noteworthy news. Yeah sure this crapola sells papers but it also reinforces the disgust us commoners have for journalists.
Yours sincerely,
Every reader converted to The Australian

does this guy know the OZ and daily terror are the same sh*t?

lucablight

First Grade

Thanks for that. I only caught the end of the interview. I also noticed he said the club was fortunate that they had several players on large salaries coming off contract. I also noticed that he said the club was keen on keeping Inu. Do you know if they said anything about retaining Fui earlier? The statement about the club not losing any player they want to keep sounds promising.

84 Baby

Referee
does this guy know the OZ and daily terror are the same sh*t?

The Oz is even worse IMO
The Australian is a thousand times worse. I was just making a poor commentary on how the DT may have surpassed it. Especially how they changed the headline of this article 3 times... amazingly happening in coincidence with the discussion in this thread. I am waiting for it to change to "Cayless forced to take paycut to make room for Feleti"

Sangreal 86

Juniors
The Australian is a thousand times worse. I was just making a poor commentary on how the DT may have surpassed it. Especially how they changed the headline of this article 3 times... amazingly happening in coincidence with the discussion in this thread. I am waiting for it to change to "Cayless forced to take paycut to make room for Feleti"

Relax everyone, there are a lot of people from other NRL entities who are'nt too pleased with our success last year, and how we have kept that nucleus of 2009, and added some great buys. Ozzie spent his initial months at this club working on our salary cap, and he has done a great job, and perhaps if others were as diligent, instead of whining and rumour mongering, their joint might be in better shape. Those who miss the boat usually complain that those that succeed must have done it underhandedly. No one is taking pay cuts, and why would Feleti and Morts, and whoever else you wish to name want to go anywhere, with whats about to happen...2010 is the start of a new and successful new era for this great club, and everyone outside this club is trying to derail whats coming. Join the footy and leagues club, get a season ticket and get to every game and fill that stadium, enjoy the ride with the boys and you wont be able to get that grin off your face all year.

fanaticeel

Juniors
Relax everyone, there are a lot of people from other NRL entities who are'nt too pleased with our success last year, and how we have kept that nucleus of 2009, and added some great buys. Ozzie spent his initial months at this club working on our salary cap, and he has done a great job, and perhaps if others were as diligent, instead of whining and rumour mongering, their joint might be in better shape. Those who miss the boat usually complain that those that succeed must have done it underhandedly. No one is taking pay cuts, and why would Feleti and Morts, and whoever else you wish to name want to go anywhere, with whats about to happen...2010 is the start of a new and successful new era for this great club, and everyone outside this club is trying to derail whats coming. Join the footy and leagues club, get a season ticket and get to every game and fill that stadium, enjoy the ride with the boys and you wont be able to get that grin off your face all year.

:clap: Hear Hear Terry

Well said, really appreciate you coming on and reassuring us.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/3257472/Warriors-want-Eel

Warriors want Eel
By AARON LAWTON - Sunday News
Last updated 05:00 24/01/2010

EXCLUSIVE: In a bold and unexpected move, the Warriors are set to throw everything at signing Parramatta Eels star Feleti Mateo.

The Kiwi NRL franchise will offer Mateo a stunning deal in an effort to lure him across the Tasman for the 2011 season.

The Warriors have already had some preliminary discussions with Mateo’s agent David Riolo about signing the giant match-winning utility who could be squeezed out of re-signing with the Eels due to salary cap pressures.

“The Warriors are determined to go big in a bid to get him, an Australian-based source told Sunday News.

Warriors recruitment boss Dean Bell confirmed the club’s interest in the 25-year-old Tongan international.

“Mateo’s what we would call a potential marquee player,” Bell told Sunday News.

“He’s also one we think would add a lot of quality to our side.

“We’re still very early in the piece.

“We have simply expressed an interest and that’s as far as things have gone at this stage.”

Mateo is off contract at the end of the season and reports in Australia have suggested the Eels may have to let him go due to salary cap constraints.

The Eels, though, have indicated they want to keep him, suggesting clubs including the Warriors may be forced into a bidding war if they want to sign him.

As well as the Warriors, the Bulldogs are also understood to be keen on Mateo.

“The Warriors are one club who has expressed an interest in Feleti,” Riolo told Sunday News.

“It would be premature to say he will be leaving Parramatta, though.

“But who knows? He may well do just that once all the options are in front of him.

“The Warriors have told me they are interested and I said that when the time arises we will have a chat with them.

“I don’t know whether Feleti would be interested in moving to New Zealand. I haven’t had that discussion with him yet.

“It’s still January and there’s plenty of time to sort out his future.”

Bell, meanwhile, said the Warriors had also identified other potential signings for the 2011 season besides Mateo.

“You have to move early,’’ he said.

It’s unlikely the Warriors will make a play for off-contract league star Johnathan Thurston as his asking price will be too high for them to compete.

Latest posts