What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary cap forcing Feleti Mateo out

Stagger eel

Staff member
lol...and so it continues.

tbh, I wouldn't be caught up in a bidding war for Feleti, if the Warriors want to throw a Marquee rate to him than they can have him.

we've tied up 2 of our MVP's beyond this year with the third rumoured to have re-signed, Feleti is replaceable if he choses to continue his career elsewhere.

dazeely

First Grade
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sunday-news/sport/3257086/Warriors-want-Eel

EXCLUSIVE: In a bold and unexpected move, the Warriors are set to throw everything at signing Parramatta Eels star Feleti Mateo.

The Kiwi NRL franchise will offer Mateo a stunning deal in an effort to lure him across the Tasman for the 2011 season.

The Warriors have already had some preliminary discussions with Mateo’s agent David Riolo about signing the giant match-winning utility who could be squeezed out of re-signing with the Eels due to salary cap pressures.

“The Warriors are determined to go big in a bid to get him, an Australian-based source told Sunday News.

Warriors recruitment boss Dean Bell confirmed the club’s interest in the 25-year-old Tongan international.

“Mateo’s what we would call a potential marquee player,” Bell told Sunday News.

“He’s also one we think would add a lot of quality to our side.

“We’re still very early in the piece.

“We have simply expressed an interest and that’s as far as things have gone at this stage.”

Mateo is off contract at the end of the season and reports in Australia have suggested the Eels may have to let him go due to salary cap constraints.

The Eels, though, have indicated they want to keep him, suggesting clubs including the Warriors may be forced into a bidding war if they want to sign him.

As well as the Warriors, the Bulldogs are also understood to be keen on Mateo.

“The Warriors are one club who has expressed an interest in Feleti,” Riolo told Sunday News.

“It would be premature to say he will be leaving Parramatta, though.

“But who knows? He may well do just that once all the options are in front of him.

“The Warriors have told me they are interested and I said that when the time arises we will have a chat with them.

“I don’t know whether Feleti would be interested in moving to New Zealand. I haven’t had that discussion with him yet.

“It’s still January and there’s plenty of time to sort out his future.”

Bell, meanwhile, said the Warriors had also identified other potential signings for the 2011 season besides Mateo.

“You have to move early,’’ he said.

Delboy

First Grade
I am never sure that Feleti's manager would assist Parra in any way, have heard a few too many stories about actions that make me doubt him

I guess that is his role, but I think that even Wayne Beavis is a touch more friendly

dazeely

First Grade

tbh, I wouldn't be caught up in a bidding war for Feleti, if the Warriors want to throw a Marquee rate to him than they can have him.

we've tied up 2 of our MVP's beyond this year with the third rumoured to have re-signed, Feleti is replaceable if he choses to continue his career elsewhere.

I agree. If another club is going to pay big time coin then so be it. Just as long as he doesn't, go elsewhere for only a little extra than what we were prepared to offer.

parra pete

Referee

The Eels should make him a Tent offer....or even give him a horse float to live in....
It was good enough for Peter Allen to live in a horse float, so much so that he wrote a song about it..... "I still call Horse Trailer Home".
If Feliti is going to leave, he is going to leave. Of course David Riolo is going to pump up his value. That is his job. Every extra dollar Riolo manages for his client is an extra 6c in his pocket. Doesn't sound much when it is mentioned like that but every extra $10,000 is an extra $600...money for jam just for a bit of pumping....and no extra work on his behalf. Locked in is LOCKED IN..

parra pete

Referee
I am never sure that Feleti's manager would assist Parra in any way, have heard a few too many stories about actions that make me doubt him

I guess that is his role, but I think that even Wayne Beavis is a touch more friendly

I know for a fact that David Riolo had the sh*ts with B Smith when he was at the Club as a player. BUT I don't think that should matter in his dealings NOW. Probably more now with the Roosters...:lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Eels should make him a Tent offer....or even give him a horse float to live in....
It was good enough for Peter Allen to live in a horse float, so much so that he wrote a song about it..... "I still call Horse Trailer Home".
If Feliti is going to leave, he is going to leave. Of course David Riolo is going to pump up his value. That is his job. Every extra dollar Riolo manages for his client is an extra 6c in his pocket. Doesn't sound much when it is mentioned like that but every extra $10,000 is an extra $600...money for jam just for a bit of pumping....and no extra work on his behalf. Locked in is LOCKED IN..

lol...medication alert!

it does appear that Titan Management appear to have all the media networks on speed dial...they're so transparent.

now that we're just about tied up our top 3 players, we should be in a position to play hard ball with Titan Management and throw a "take it or leave it" at them.

strider

Post Whore
omfg #-o ... just when you thought pete had used up the worst of his jokes :shock:

He's all ours, with Pricey gone after this year, Tate on his last legs and Mckinnon almost ready to be punted in favour of Locke, we could offer him anything. I'd then play Mateo at 6 with Johnson at 7.

TeHEel

Juniors
now that we're just about tied up our top 3 players, we should be in a position to play hard ball with Titan Management and throw a "take it or leave it" at them.

No the club is not in a position to play hardball. Both Inu and Mateo (2 of Titan's) are sort after by a number of clubs. The choice of staying for less to be with their mates or going elsewhere for more cash is for them to decide.

Mateo would be a massive loss, it surprises me how many people here forgot what he was for the club before the Manly game.

I also find it funny how people think its wrong when a manager tries to get the best offer for his player. That is his job, the manager owes nothing to the club and clubs these days are just as quick to the same in reverse.

Stagger eel

Staff member
No the club is not in a position to play hardball. Both Inu and Mateo (2 of Titan's) are sort after by a number of clubs. The choice of staying for less to be with their mates or going elsewhere for more cash is for them to decide.

Mateo would be a massive loss, it surprises me how many people here forgot what he was for the club before the Manly game.

I also find it funny how people think its wrong when a manager tries to get the best offer for his player. That is his job, the manager owes nothing to the club and clubs these days are just as quick to the same in reverse.

The club can play hardball if they want and simply replace them if they need to, I don't have an issue with Titan or any other management group looking after their clients, they can do what they want, but the club shouldn't bow down to any demands imposed by their managers..

Hayne = Massive loss

Hindy = Massive loss

Fui = Massive Loss

Mateo = Loss, but replaceable.

INU = Replaceable.

Gronk

Staff member
The club can play hardball if they want and simply replace them if they need to, I don't have an issue with Titan or any other management group looking after their clients, they can do what they want, but the club shouldn't bow down to any demands imposed by their managers..

Hayne = Massive loss

Hindy = Massive loss

Fui = Massive Loss

INU = Replaceable.

X2

TeHEel

Juniors

Hayne = Massive loss

Hindy = Massive loss

Fui = Massive Loss

INU = Replaceable.

Well I think Mateo would be a massive loss, and as an Eels supporter I hope his form this year backs me up. Given Inu's age I would also hate to see him go, with luck he has an injury free year and also shows what he can do. As for the whole manager thing I agree when either party starts demands it is usualy the end.

From what I know about the Mateo situation is there have been no 'demands' from either party. He is again going to have to choose between staying for less to be friends or moving on for more. Inu will be no different.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Well I think Mateo would be a massive loss, and as an Eels supporter I hope his form this year backs me up. Given Inu's age I would also hate to see him go, with luck he has an injury free year and also shows what he can do. As for the whole manager thing I agree when either party starts demands it is usualy the end.

From what I know about the Mateo situation is there have been no 'demands' from either party. He is again going to have to choose between staying for less to be friends or moving on for more. Inu will be no different.

well I also hope both have steller seasons and if the scenereo of both of them having to take less to stay is true than "so be it"

fish eel

Immortal
TBH, a gfit and firing mateo would be a massive loss in the same way Hayne would be IMO.

Both matchwinners.

Both, however, are, like any player, replaceable.