What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary cap forcing Feleti Mateo out

Stagger eel

Staff member
TBH, a gfit and firing mateo would be a massive loss in the same way Hayne would be IMO.

Both matchwinners.

Both, however, are, like any player, replaceable.

sure, but trying to find a replacement for someone like Hayne would be a much more difficult assignment and as talented as Feleti is, he still lacks consistancy and he's role will change this year due the lack of quality backrowers at the club, he will need to role his sleeves up and do some of the more unnoticeable dirty work which many people tend to chose to ignore thanks to the likes of Lowrie and Gulavao leaving.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Mateo can do it, he can find consistantcy and find his inner workhorse. He just needs time and faith put in him. No more hooking, its a terrible thing to do to someone.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
sure, but trying to find a replacement for someone like Hayne would be a much more difficult assignment and as talented as Feleti is, he still lacks consistancy and he's role will change this year due the lack of quality backrowers at the club, he will need to role his sleeves up and do some of the more unnoticeable dirty work which many people tend to chose to ignore thanks to the likes of Lowrie and Gulavao leaving.

i don't agree, it will be the opposite imo. the added quality in the backrow will allow him to come off the bench and make the impact he should without having to worry about trying to carry the team through the middle, which is what he was asked to do.

with all players back on deck, he's the xfactor we need to get past someone like melbourne. remember he never really got to play that role last season due to various team injuries

fish eel

Immortal

I think you're comparing apples and oranges with Hayne and Mateo.

Mateo, like Hayne, can deliver us a premiership. He very nearly did last October long weekend.

They're different players. Both would be massive losses, but IMO every player is replaceable.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Mateo can do it, he can find consistantcy and find his inner workhorse. He just needs time and faith put in him. No more hooking, its a terrible thing to do to someone.

yeah, he may well do that but then there could be the problem of his attack being stifled because of it, I might add that it's also very important for the likes of Benny, Shack, Horo and maybe even Pele to step up to the plate big time and help Feleti and Hindy out.

Stagger eel

Staff member
i don't agree, it will be the opposite imo. the added quality in the backrow will allow him to come off the bench and make the impact he should without having to worry about trying to carry the team through the middle, which is what he was asked to do.

with all players back on deck, he's the xfactor we need to get past someone like melbourne. remember he never really got to play that role last season due to various team injuries

added quality??

Losses
Gulavao
Lowrie
Weller (mainly for depth)

Gains
Shackleton

so I take it you would start Feleti off the bench?

Stagger eel

Staff member
I think you're comparing apples and oranges with Hayne and Mateo.

Mateo, like Hayne, can deliver us a premiership. He very nearly did last October long weekend.

They're different players. Both would be massive losses, but IMO every player is replaceable.

yes, but Feleti came off the bench last year in the games leading up and including the gf, he was extremely effective on occasions, but he'll be starting and possibly even playing 80 minutes this year, will we see the same sort of quality coming out of him this year as we did last year while his team mates were also perfmorming? I for one hope he does but there are some doubts at the back of my mind.

fish eel

Immortal
yes, but Feleti came off the bench last year in the games leading up and including the gf, he was extremely effective on occasions, but he'll be starting and possibly even playing 80 minutes this year, will we see the same sort of quality coming out of him this year as we did last year while his team mates were also perfmorming? I for one hope he does but there are some doubts at the back of my mind.

Mateo may fade in and out of games, but so did Jarryd Hayne during his great run of form. And that's not a criticism, in fact I think it's what made him so good, his ability to pick his moment.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Mateo may fade in and out of games, but so did Jarryd Hayne during his great run of form. And that's not a criticism, in fact I think it's what made him so good, his ability to pick his moment.

I'm sure both fade in out at various times but the quality of Feleti's game could be an issue later in the game when he's notiching up 35 to 40 odd tackles...look in saying that, if he's having to touch the ball any more then 2 times in the set late in the game than the 6, 7 and 1 aren't doing their job properly.

eels81236

Bench
Mateo would be a massive loss. However, everyone can be replaced. Heck, even the great Stephen Rodger Waugh has been replaced (somewhat).
He is our no 1 ball playing back rower. As for asking him to roll up his sleeves and do the dirty work, IMO it would be like driving your Ferrari F40 in Sydney CBD traffic. You are best served with it on the open road realising its full potential. You don't weaken a strong area to cover a weak area, IMO.

fish eel

Immortal
Mateo would be a massive loss. However, everyone can be replaced. Heck, even the great Stephen Rodger Waugh has been replaced (somewhat).
He is our no 1 ball playing back rower. As for asking him to roll up his sleeves and do the dirty work, IMO it would be like driving your Ferrari F40 in Sydney CBD traffic. You are best served with it on the open road realising its full potential. You don't weaken a strong area to cover a weak area, IMO.

Not only that, but is he our only genuine playmaker??

If Mateo is playing 80 minutes, we shouldnt be expecting him to make the 30-40 tackles Stagger suggests
D. Anderson to G. Gould, 2009.....

"We cannot progress any further in this competition without Feleti Mateo."

Would be a massive loss.

nail on the head.....

Stagger eel

Staff member
interesting to note that Feleti isn't the only quality backrower off contract at the end of this year, Watmough and O'Donnell are also off contract but unfortunately for them their management group don't demand stories to be published about them every second day.

eels81236

Bench
Not only that, but is he our only genuine playmaker??

If Mateo is playing 80 minutes, we shouldnt be expecting him to make the 30-40 tackles Stagger suggests

nail on the head.....

Yes, he is our only genuine ball player. Arguably, he is the only player in our club that can list that as his no 1 asset.

eels81236

Bench
With or without telecrap stories, it would take massive coin to get Watmough. Odonnell IMO is past his best, and hasn't played a lot of games the past few seasons.
Back rowers are easy to get fairly cheap all things considered. However, solid/defensive backrowers are a dime a dozen compared to quality ball players.

Also I wouldn't look at it as so much as a massive loss but what a rival club would say is a massive signing...and that would turn a knife in our blue and gold hearts.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I dont think what we need from Mateo is the 30-40 tackles a game attitude, but more the hardend up attitude in defence. He gets a bit soft with his tackles and can throw the most un-necessary passes. Once he finds that steel in his head, he will know when to throw the pass and when not to.

fish eel

Immortal
interesting to note that Feleti isn't the only quality backrower off contract at the end of this year, Watmough and O'Donnell are also off contract but unfortunately for them their management group don't demand stories to be published about them every second day.

Maybe their managers need to either 1. Get someone from another club to talk up signing their client or 2. Get their client to sign for a club people care enough about the buy newspapers and read about.;-)

Stagger eel

Staff member
Also I wouldn't look at it as so much as a massive loss but what a rival club would say is a massive signing...and that would turn a knife in our blue and gold hearts.

well the thing is, a team like the Warriors would be putting Mateo at the top of the top 25 sallary tree with Price, possibly Tate and Manu (linked to the Melbourne rugby side) leaving.

as far as I'm concerned at the very best, he sits number 5 or 6 at our club behind Hindy, Hayne, Fui, T and maybe even Mortimer, and I haven't even mentioned Poore, Caylo, INU, Grothe and Burt...

well the thing is, a team like the Warriors would be putting Mateo at the top of the top 25 sallary tree with Price, possibly Tate and Manu (linked to the Melbourne rugby side) leaving.

as far as I'm concerned at the very best, he sits number 5 or 6 at our club behind Hindy, Hayne, Fui, T and maybe even Mortimer, and I haven't even mentioned Poore, Caylo, INU, Grothe and Burt...

That there imho sums it up nicely. And the problem both Inu and mateo will have, in our side they will not be the top players, elsewhere there is more chance of bigger dollars.