What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess returns to South Sydney

Parra

Referee
If that happens it deserves to die. I don't think that would be the case. What is the point of numbers for numbers sake? Suits the TV stations - why people care about TV stations, ratings and ad revenue is beyond me. I know some fans think these things are important, but I have no idea why. The salary cap is good for the TV stations but that's about it.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
At the very least clubs poaching players should have a percantage of TPAs counted towards the cap. Unlimited off cap TPAs should only apply to clubs trying to retain players they have developed.

macavity

Referee
If that happens it deserves to die. I don't think that would be the case. What is the point of numbers for numbers sake? Suits the TV stations - why people care about TV stations, ratings and ad revenue is beyond me. I know some fans think these things are important, but I have no idea why. The salary cap is good for the TV stations but that's about it.

The biggest and best football league in the world (by a LONG way) has a hard cap.

Ulysseus

Bench
Stopping Folau from signing from with Parra was one of the most disgraceful fu**ups the game has ever come up with.

Agree
it was handled about as well as a Tijuana back alley abortion conducted with a coat hanger that had been sterilized in cheap tequila.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Has anyone thought that maybe this time around the NRL thought that the whole 'player x is worth y amount so you have to pay this much' idea was f*cking stupid so they decided to scrap it?

Maybe that'll help you go to sleep Vic.

some11

Referee
I wouldn't give a shit.

I want Hayne back in the game, has anyone got a total of how many minutes of actual game time he's played over there?

Rabbits20

Immortal
It's cute how people think that Souths are the only team using TPA's.

Like we have an advantage over every other team.

We don't have anywhere near the number of TPA's that some of the other clubs have. Look at the Roosters for example... Hasn't anyone ever wondered why City Ford (Nick Politis') company is no longer a major sponsor of his club?

I'll give you a hint... Any major sponsor of an NRL club who's logo or branding appears on game day merchandise or the official club website, can't be a third party sponsor to individual players. Third party player sponsors can't be sponsors of the club.

So the Roosters own chairman runs a very successful business that for all intents and purposes and in the NRL's eyes, is not associated with the Roosters at all and is thereby eligible to pay players as a third party sponsor...

All seems legit to me.

Great post mate. Very well said.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yes, I probably am bitter that the integrity of the comp has been thrown out the window over the last 5 years. I am unlucky to follow a club that can never have a "smart administration" under the current system.

Who do you support mate.

Parra???

Matrix

Juniors
I certainly am, I thought the Bunnies were a bottom 8 side..now they're probably 6th. That annoys me.

Probably a fair summation.I think cowboys,brisbane,roosters and melbourne are definitely ahead of us at this stage with manly,sharks,dogs,penrith and st george illawarra all around the mark its going to be very hard to make the 8 next season a lot of good teams.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Yeah. He should have been out there poaching burgii.

Oops. It's only poaching if someone other than a favoured coach does it....

Bet it'd pop back up if Hayne came and agreed to play a year on minimum contract for Parra.

I would be fine if Hayne came back to Parramatta, I could not cop it if he was to come back to the Roosters (have heard some mail that this might be the case).

The NRL would have to do in that case what they did to Parramatta in the Izzy case and not register his contract with the Roosters.

Without a cap and only 2-4 teams that can win ever year the NRL would not be as worth as much to TV companies as viewers numbers would drop.

NFL has realised that having a hard salary cap is the way to go. It sees teams like the 49ers be in the Super Bowl three years ago to be at the bottom of the pile now. It goes in cycles for every team.

If their was no salary cap and the top 4 was going to be Roosters, Broncos, Storm and Souths for example every year the number of matches I would watch in a year would greatly diminish, this is the way NRL is heading if they don't re-work either the Salary Cap or the effect of TPA on the competition.

Parra

Referee
Without a cap and only 2-4 teams that can win ever year the NRL would not be as worth as much to TV companies as viewers numbers would drop.

NFL has realised that having a hard salary cap is the way to go. It sees teams like the 49ers be in the Super Bowl three years ago to be at the bottom of the pile now. It goes in cycles for every team.

If their was no salary cap and the top 4 was going to be Roosters, Broncos, Storm and Souths for example every year the number of matches I would watch in a year would greatly diminish, this is the way NRL is heading if they don't re-work either the Salary Cap or the effect of TPA on the competition.

I agree. As a TV product a cap has many advantages and is a necessity to balance the audience.

The NFL does have a capt - it is a sport where 31 of the teams are privately owned. The cap has nothing to do with sport and everything to do with guaranteeing a return for those people. If you can artificially cap expenses in any business, but have no such cap on income, you would take it.

Problem is the cap affects the most important element of the sport in a negative way - the players. It is their earning capacity that is capped.

Put the shoe on the other foot for the NRL & NFL owners - would they accept an income cap?

No way.

It only takes an iota of thought to realise this.

Latest posts