What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess served with show cause notice

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Twiz, I believe there is a subtle difference.
In saying that this is probably not the thread to discuss it as some seem incapable of isolating their hatred of Burgess from the finer points of the discussion :beers:

Perth Red

Post Whore
A fine system disproportionately affects young and fringe players on low contracts. They shouldn't be punished because a few high profile players are grubs who consistently break the rules.

And if there is no deterrent, what is to stop someone from going to Brown and Mau that they will pay the 5k fine if Munster and Smith are on the receiving end of a 'reckless' high tackle this week. Both storm players miss the rest of the game and there is no repercussions for the eels. Then they take out Cronk and Keary next week and all good they are in a grand final as there is no longer an issue being a repeat offender.

I didn’t suggest fines for reckless high tackles! Just for the one game ban stuff. As for younger players, good it will teach them early in their careers to behave themselves. People paying money to watch games, be it on tv or at grounds want to see the best players playing, not sitting on the sideline for some innocuous infringements.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
So when everyone - fans, Media players etc expect a Grade 2 charge and the MRC lays NO charge ?

You can't keep letting the MRC do this

Feels like they are out at the toilet or making a coffee while the video is playing past incidents
Media and the fans are emotive based on nearly every occasion, they will always demand more.

Outrage sells papers.
Fans are savagely biased.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Keep your head in the sand old boy
Head isn't in the sand. You made the claim it happens every week. You can't even provide one example from 2019 - the one raised you had to compare it to something last year.

Every week you said.

The onus is on you to back up your claim.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Head isn't in the sand. You made the claim it happens every week. You can't even provide one example from 2019 - the one raised you had to compare it to something last year.

Every week you said.

Nah, I’ll just leave you to be in denial and play semantics

See ya

no name

Coach
Josh McGuire x 3
Hudson Young x 2

There is your inconsistencies , especially involving a high profile player, double especially cause SOO was potentially affected.

But as we all know, consistency is over-rated.
I agree 100%.

I also find it hilarious that Burgess is whinging as he has been a beneficiary of that inconsistency this year.

His actions on the hair pull weren’t accidental, it wasn’t reactionary, he purposely pulled his hair.
Should have got an extra week for stupidity.

I didn’t suggest fines for reckless high tackles! Just for the one game ban stuff. As for younger players, good it will teach them early in their careers to behave themselves. People paying money to watch games, be it on tv or at grounds want to see the best players playing, not sitting on the sideline for some innocuous infringements.
Soooo, no more one week suspensions?
Fine and then straight to a two week suspension?
That will work well...
Also, the fine system works fine for ‘innocuous infringements’. How many ‘innocuous infringements’ does Burgess need to rack up before understanding that foul play will be penalised?
The message clearly didn’t get through to him.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
I agree 100%.

I also find it hilarious that Burgess is whinging as he has been a beneficiary of that inconsistency this year.

His actions on the hair pull weren’t accidental, it wasn’t reactionary, he purposely pulled his hair.

That will work well...
Also, the fine system works fine for ‘innocuous infringements’. How many ‘innocuous infringements’ does Burgess need to rack up before understanding that foul play will be penalised?

Players don’t need to be fined as much as they are
Penalty on the field or sun binning is enough
They have gone over the top with their citings

Perth Red

Post Whore
That will work well...

yep no more stupid suspensions for stupid acts.
I reckon 5 or 6, when he starts getting hit with $30k+ fines he has to pay out of his pocket I reckon he will cut that sht out! You could have carry over max fines into first part of next year if someone is a real repeat offender.
A one match ban doesnt hurt anyone other than the fans and his team mates really. And yes use fines for minor offences and bans for serious offences. It will cut down on the judiciary sht fights and stop the whinging of the media and players. I'd only have serious offences that are three week and above bans at the moment. The rest hit the player where it hurts them most.
The NRL is wasting a big part of $3.8million a year on some of this sht. turn that around to be a revenue generator that they give to Jnr football clubs

SBD82

Coach
Nah, I’ll just leave you to be in denial and play semantics

See ya
“Play semantics” really isn’t an argument.

Semantics is literally “what words mean”. You’re on a forum. The only information anyone has to interpret what you’re saying is your words.

What is he supposed to do? Read your body language?

siv

First Grade

Every week you said.

But most of this is fueled by

Player X gets charged for a offence

but

Player Y doesn't get charged for the same offence

Ignoring any loading or past incidents

And The RL public want a please explain

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
I agree 100%.

That will work well...

No one hears that JWH has been charged twice as often in 2019

That's trial by media at play

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Burgess is far from likeable but to 1) Suspend for a hair pull is a bit ridiculous and 2) a Show cause because of comments like that? Please. Read the comments from the GWS CEO after their tribunal hearings this week insinuating bias from the panel. Much worse I'd say.

If refs see it in play or the Bunker does, then sin bin the idiot and penalize them where they should, in the game they are playing at the time.

Someguy

First Grade
Burgess is far from likeable but to 1) Suspend for a hair pull is a bit ridiculous and 2) a Show cause because of comments like that? Please. Read the comments from the GWS CEO after their tribunal hearings this week insinuating bias from the panel. Much worse I'd say.

If refs see it in play or the Bunker does, then sin bin the idiot and penalize them where they should, in the game they are playing at the time.

Imagine the outrage then! If Sam got 10 for the hair pull or JWH for the trip!

The only way it would work is if the refs could find a reason to also bin the victims of the foul play, like when Lachlan Fitzgibbon got punched in the back of the head and went in the bin to even numbers up.

Maximus

Coach

I don't believe many fans pay to watch Burgess pull opposition players hair. If he wants to do grubby shit a million times a season it is him robbing the fans not the judiciary. He needs to change his game, not the judiciary change to let him get away with it

So you are actually admitting that you think the judiciary should be harsher on young players just because Sam Burgess and JWH are grubs. That is disgraceful.

The rest hit the player where it hurts them most.

I reckon it hurts a lot more having to miss a grand/prelim final than a measly $5k fine.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
South Sydney Rabbitohs player Sam Burgess tonight issued a public apology for comments he made about the NRL Judiciary last week.

The National Rugby League (NRL) also issued Burgess with a breach notice advising of a wholly suspended $10,000 fine.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg met Burgess who accepted responsibility and apologised for labelling the NRL Judiciary a “Kangaroo Court.”

“The chairman and members of the panel are of the highest integrity and it was never my intention to cast any doubt over their character. The point of my comments was to simply express concerns and frustrations I had about the processes,’’ he said.

“I unreservedly apologise for using the phrase 'Kangaroo Court’. I now understand it was the wrong choice of words."

Burgess thanked Mr Greenberg for also providing him the opportunity to discuss important issues in the game.

“Todd and I had an open and honest conversation. Todd talked me through the procedures and rules in place across both the match review committee and the judiciary and I spoke about some of the frustrations players felt about the current processes.”

Mr Greenberg said it had been made clear to Burgess that as a leading player in the game he had a responsibility to set the standard of public comment for players.

“To Sam’s credit he has apologised publicly and acknowledged his mistake,’’ he said.

“Sam and I have agreed to continue discussions about issues in the game during the off-season with a small group of other senior players equally as committed to ensuring our players are genuine partners in the game.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/23/sam-burgess-statement/