What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sandow is leaving souths....just announced on 2ky

Gronk

Staff member
I'm sure Crowe saw 1.6mil and divided by 3 not realizing it was a 4 year deal. Sandow at 400K a year is over priced but we need him so its worth it.

hopefully we can snag 3-4 other quality players like Dwyer and Hoppa who would be my top 2 priorities right now.

Dwyer ? You mean Simon Dwyer from the West Tigers ? Is he available ?

Gronk

Staff member
Sandow leaves on good terms

4/5/2011 1:01 PM
Adam Lucius

Sportal

Eels-bound Souths half-back Chris Sandow insists he will depart Redfern on good terms with the club and its owner Russell Crowe despite the Rabbitohs' anger over his move.
The Bunnies thought they had done enough to secure Sandow's services but were blown out of the water at the 11th hour by Parramatta's offer, believed to be in the vicinity of $500,000 per season over three years.
Souths CEO Shane Richardson sent out a testy media release declaring Sandow had 'met his Alan Bond', referring to Kerry Packer's famous line after he sold Channel 9 to Bond for $1bn and then later bought it back at a much reduced price.

Crowe also appeared upset by Sandow's decision, tweeting: "Chris Sandow to Parramatta at $550k a year''.
But Sandow is unconcerned about the furore surrounding the switch of clubs, saying he feels no guilt.
"He had a few words to me. He basically wanted me to stay but he said (do) what's best for me," Sandow said of Crowe's involvement in contract talks.
"He said if I go ahead and go to Parramatta he'll still be my mate, but it's my choice."
"He's going to be upset but he's there on the side just to talk to me, giving me a hand."
Sandow, who was brought up on an Aboriginal mission in the small Queensland town of Cherbourg, refused to confirm reports Parramatta's offer is worth between $1.5m-2m.
But the 22-year-old insists the move is about a change of scenery more than the money.
"It's not about the cash. I just want a new journey, new start for my life and hopefully I play good footy there," Sandow said.
"I've been at Souths so long now and I appreciate Souths for giving me the opportunity to play NRL.
"Heaps of people have been talking to me about not leaving Souths but I have to do what's best for me and my family and I have three little kids now so I have to look after them before me."
"In saying that, I've still got to love myself before others."
http://www.sportal.com.au/league-news-display/sandow-on-good-terms-121113

parra pete

Referee
Parramatta were definitely desperate - they went and signed one of the few exciting young halves with NRL experience partially based on an endorsement from Wayne Bennet who sees the player as a future Queensland rep.

Wests in the late 90s were in the same position Canberra are at the moment.....last. :D

the key words. only way is up up up....

Gronk

Staff member
South Sydney owner Russell Crowe and CEO Shane Richardson hit depths of unprofessionalism after Chris Sandow picks Parramatta
734885-russell-crowe.jpg

Thumbs down ... Crowe's tweet was far from professional. Source: News Limited

On what was supposed to be a day of celebration for imminent Parramatta signing Chris Sandow, officials from his current club, South Sydney, embarrassed themselves with their unprofessional handling of the matter.

South Sydney confirmed on Wednesday that halfback Sandow had agreed terms with the Eels and would join Stephen Kearney's side next season.

But the bizarre behaviour of chief executive Shane Richardson and the club's owner, Russell Crowe, has taken the gloss off the deal.

"Unfortunately for us he (Sandow) has met his Alan Bond," Richardson said in a club statement.
The back-handed comment from Richardson, no doubt in reference to the huge salary Sandow will receive at the Eels, has left the 22-year-old in no doubt what the club thinks of his decision to leave.
Just minutes after the club's press release, Crowe embarrassed the Rabbitohs even further by revealing Sandow's new salary to his 200,000 followers on Twitter.
Has the South Sydney club embarrased itself in the handling of Chris Sandow's imminent defection to Parramatta? Have your say at the bottom of the page.
"Chris Sandow to Parramatta at $550k a year," Crowe wrote on Twitter.
The debate about whether Sandow is worth that much money has covered up the almost unprecedented action of Crowe to publically reveal the salary of a NRL player.
I say almost for a reason, as it was only five months ago that Crowe blurted out Greg Inglis's salary to a worldwide television audience on the Jay Leno Show.
Despite Crowe's tweet, Sandow told reporters on Wednesday that he still considered Crowe a "mate".
While the club's disappointment at losing a key player is more than reasonable, its childish reaction has cast a shadow over the deal.
Compare the response of Richardson and Crowe to Canterbury-Bankstown officials' handling of Jamal Idris's decision to leave the club for Gold Coast Titans.
The 20-year-old centre signed with the Titans in April for a deal believed to be worth more than $2 million, although the actual figure was never revealed to the public.
If the Bulldogs were upset by Idris's decision to leave the kennel, they didn't show it.
On the day of the announcement, CEO Todd Greenberg joined Idris for a press conference and went out of his way to praise the young centre.
"Loyalty has got nothing to do with this," Greenberg said.
"To me, rugby league loyalty is about within the terms of your contract and Jamal has been extremely loyal to this club over four years.
"He's given us nothing but wonderful service ... he needs to maximise his earning capacity."
Not only have Richardson and Crowe created an uncomfortable situation for Sandow and the Eels, they have also jeopardised the club's chances this season.
There are 18 rounds to go in the 2011 season, and Sandow, while he won't be at Redfern in 2012, will be vital to any hopes the club has of reaching the finals this year.
The smart money says the uncomfortable atmosphere Richardson and Crowe have created will result in more losses for a side that needs every win they can get.
At Belmore, the Bulldogs and Idris will face no such problem.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...tta-over-bunnies/story-e6frf3ou-1226049728704

Gronk

Staff member
Sandow hops to the Eels

4 May 11 @ 10:47am by Brad Boxall

880a28c0c2818038b895e4899e11683b_resized.jpg

PARRAMATTA have signed Souths halfback Chris Sandow to a four-year deal.
Sandow appeared certain to join the Eels until late last week when Rabbitohs co-owner Russell Crowe looked to have convinced him to stay.
But early today, the Rabbitohs announced that Sandow would be leaving the club at the end of the season.
The Rabbitohs had called on Sandow’s teammates, club greats and fans to convince him to stay at Redfern.
But it’s believed people close to the cheeky half, including family members, persuaded him to make the change and sign a deal worth $1.6 million for the next four years.
“Unfortunately Chris has met his Alan Bond,” Souths chief executive Shane Richardson said.
“We are very disappointed to learn of Chris’s decision but we wish him the best for the future.”
http://parramatta-advertiser.whereilive.com.au/news/story/sandow-hops-to-the-eels/

born an eel

Bench
Where do you reckon Robson will go?
as he is cheap we can keep him on our books but leave it up to him. If he can get a better deal, wish him all the best.

If he prefers to stay here with his family, he will be more than welcaome at wenty and can add depth to the squad, if required.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
its not about the cash, lol

would he have come to Parra for $100K, why did he go back to the Bunnies 3 times

how gullible does he think we are ?

Kornstar

Coach
I'm sure there will be a PC for it, just be patient ffs

Imo this is big for our club at the moment, all hope looked gone and we have pulled it off, they should be basking in the glory but they have been silent......she we be on the front foot now?

It is 1:37pm on the day of our biggest signing in years for our most troubled position in over 20 years and we still haven't heard anything from the club apart from a post on Twitter and Facebook saying welcome, that isn't from the CEO.

There should have been an interview first thing this morning imo, Gold Coast had a PC for a player leaving at 11:30am......

I know it sounds negative and to an extent it is BUT only because we have something so positive to announce and it seems nowhere in sight......it is very weird.......

Sandow signing spells the end of Burt. Sandow will be the goalkicker & one less skill set that Burt offers in his already very limited repetoire.

Burt is a champion player and bloke d*ckweed

Show some respect

Im a warriors fan and i give the guy respect where its due

Fool!

forward pass

Coach
Imo this is big for our club at the moment, all hope looked gone and we have pulled it off, they should be basking in the glory but they have been silent......she we be on the front foot now?

It is 1:37pm on the day of our biggest signing in years for our most troubled position in over 20 years and we still haven't heard anything from the club apart from a post on Twitter and Facebook saying welcome, that isn't from the CEO.

There should have been an interview first thing this morning imo, Gold Coast had a PC for a player leaving at 11:30am......

I know it sounds negative and to an extent it is BUT only because we have something so positive to announce and it seems nowhere in sight......it is very weird.......

I agree. I find it quite astonishing that no media release has been issued.
wtf? Expecially given the bad press we have copped in the last few weeks.

SDM

First Grade
I agree. I find it quite astonishing that no media release has been issued.
wtf? Expecially given the bad press we have copped in the last few weeks.

when we release this, the DT will probably run with;

"LOL @ Parra paying overs for a dud"

Parraren

Bench

They're just working through the final details of Hoppa's deal so we can announce them together later this arvo...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Great news!!! 400k may seem like overs but when your halves are Robson and Morts you have little choice. Now for Hoppa Jr!!

Latest posts