What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sandow is leaving souths....just announced on 2ky

hindy111

Post Whore
Lets put it in perspective.For startes i dont know what he was signed for.
But whats the point of having fui fui-hindy-Mannah and co on decent $$$ when we cant score points???
Kind of like having a ferrari without a steering wheel.No matter what you do you cant drive it without one....
Guys like Pritchard-Mateo-Jennings-Hannant are all on a reported $400K.If Sandow is on a simmilar figure well so be it.He is much more important to our team than any of those guys are to theres...
Kieran Foran i would put in the same category as Sandow.Im sure he would be asking for around $400 too.And Hodgkinson went for $275K with a lot less credentials as Sandow.
If we Paid $100K grand over what we wanted to get our man well so be it.Id assume thats about what we are paying each of Webb-Whaturia.So we can pick up $200K there.

MrT

Juniors
don't forget we are under the cap massively this year and have frontloaded contracts which gives us more available next year. Hindy won't be around forever which gives us more room. Lets not forget the TV deal should increase the cap substantially

attamarrap

Juniors
We got him!!!

funny it was around midday and on wednesday lol that old announcement finally came through :)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Lets not forget the TV deal should increase the cap substantially

This fact does nothing to make us more competitive (in signing players) against other NRL clubs.

It will only make NRL clubs more competitive against clubs from other sports/competitions.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
400k may seem like overs

Honestly I don't think it is. It's the max of what I would have wanted to pay but we're so desperate that if I was running the club I think I would have gone to half a million.

Probably why I don't run a football club but anyway...

Ok, so...

...we FINALLY have a halfback. A REAL halfback.

Hot Damn!

All we need now is an established three-quarter and we're set. Move HaHa to 6 and put Burt to the back. Drop both Morts and Robson.

Beau Champion and Will Hopate, come on down!

_mUSASHI_

Juniors
I happen to know pretty close to what Sandow has signed for, and 550k is not it. And we have 3rd party agreements in place as well, so at most only 350k is actually going to come off the cap. So we still have plenty to spend. Expect a play for a fullback soon as Hayne will move to 6 next year to compliment Sandow.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Honestly I don't think it is. It's the max of what I would have wanted to pay but we're so desperate that if I was running the club I think I would have gone to half a million.

Probably why I don't run a football club but anyway...
I agree, i am happy we got him, if we had to pay an extra 50k so be it. We desperately needed a 7, he was the best on the market and he can kick goals. Now for a 6,Cantre and wide running back rower and i think we are going places.

SaraSassypants

Juniors
I happen to know pretty close to what Sandow has signed for, and 550k is not it. And we have 3rd party agreements in place as well, so at most only 350k is actually going to come off the cap. So we still have plenty to spend. Expect a play for a fullback soon as Hayne will move to 6 next year to compliment Sandow.
From what I just read Osborne has not denied Eels paid 550k. All he said was "We've think we've got him at a reasonable price". Clever wording but if it wasn't 550k he would've straight out denied it. Crowe would know what he was offered cause Souths would've had the chance to match it.

ParraSteve

Juniors
At first when it was first mentioned that we were chasing him i was against it, but after watching some of his games this year, he's got the potential to be a great player.

At the moment he's very much rocks and diamonds, lets look at the diamonds of his plays, He's quick which is something the eels have lacked in havles for the last few years i cant remember the last half would be quicker than sandow, I think he's a very good general kicker which we struggle with unless Jarryd Hayne puts a bomb up, He's also a very good goal kicker, which will be a handy backup should Luke Burt retire within the term of his contract.

As far as the rocks in his performance, its the niggly stuff that he needs to get out of his, His tackling style also needs to be fixed, too often has he run up to try to put a stupid shoulder charge and thats something that annoys to me no end about sandow. He can be wildely inconsistent, but when he's on, he's very good, its not up to Stephen Kearney to get the best out of Sandow.

Is Sandow worth the 400k that the eels have reported? No he isnt, at any other club he'd get about 250-300k but so dire is the eels halves situation that they've had to pay overs, 400k isnt that bad espically if you follow russell crowe on twitter and said it was 550k a year. Our situation requires us to spend more than what normally would, we're in no position for a player to come to a club that has gone backwards since 2006, throw out our incredible run in 09 we've been a pretty crap team since 2008.

There will be a ton of pressure on the guy, I hope he can take that next step in his game and become a better player. Miracles wont happen overnight, but I hope like many parra fans hope he turns out to be a better buy than Adam Dykes, only time will tell.

cumberlandcozza

Juniors
From what I just read Osborne has not denied Eels paid 550k. All he said was "We've think we've got him at a reasonable price". Clever wording but if it wasn't 550k he would've straight out denied it. Crowe would know what he was offered cause Souths would've had the chance to match it.

My notional question is if souths had as much spare cash as us under the cap, what would they have offered him in a bidding war?;-)

mickybolg

Juniors
I can't believe all the conjecture over what he is getting paid..we need a quality halfback and a signing that will lead to others, sandow is exactly the boost parra needs regardless of his pay packet..congrats to the eels management for pulling off a great coup and btw..sucked in rusty and souths u whinging girls!!!!

_mUSASHI_

Juniors

If Osbourne came out and said exectly what we did offer him, he would look as dumb as Russell and Souths.

SaraSassypants

Juniors
My notional question is if souths had as much spare cash as us under the cap, what would they have offered him in a bidding war?;-)
So you think that because you have spare cash it justifies paying overs!?!? Things may change, in 2 years you may blood a talented Centre or Winger and won't be able to retain him cause you spent too much on Sandow. Much like what has just happened with us paying too much for GI and missing out on Sandow. At least GI plays rep footy..

Latest posts