What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW on Footy Show this week

Drzoidberg

Juniors
They tried pretty much everything they could to get Hayman, but he said he needs to set his family up for life and he will from our good mates at....Toulon.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10642144&pnum=2

I almost starting to believe we have got some of SBW's old doggys teammates in here, and walking out on the Kiwi's LOL, he got a broken leg playing rugby so wouldve had a broken everything in league and wouldve been unavailable anyway.

And plus we won it without him anyway. So did it do any harm? no probably was better him not there. He seemed to have a Stacey Jones affect whenever he played, players tended to wait for them to do something.

I know it sucks he's gone and went the way he did, believe me I was angey, upset and very disapointed but sometimes you have to build a bridge......bitterness is a taste seldom get rid of.

It didnt happen just yesterday.

Micistm

Bench
hmmm, ok.

see some are still hurtin....

You'll all be singing his praises next year at Eden Park when he brings us home in the WC final... oh yes, the humble pie will be scoffed in huuuuuuuuge quantities :cool:

Na. Couldn't give one. The got the WC that counted without him in Aussie;-)

shiznit

Coach
Obviously not the same planet as you I'm guessing. :lol:

IMO, if the NZRU were going purely for whats best for the All Blacks in terms of performance, Hayman or Evans were their go to guys on the spend list. Right now, and I believe in 12 months, those two blokes would be vital assets for the All Blacks. I'm not sold on $BW in union. Like Falou, he comes with a far greater marketing upside than Hayman or Evans and thats the GWS reference. $BW is a big name now after his league start and some other questionable antics. The NZRU is no different to the NRL in that it loses 'stars' overseas at a great multitude, so while they are spending money to bring him back, they will also be letting go opportunities for previous All Blacks who have a proven record of serving the country well, and fringe All Blacks of some quality.

I don't blame Tana Umaga or Toulon. The Toulon chief was a git by our cultural terms, but having been to France I don't even hold that against him as they have a far different view of these sorts of things. That's not a bad thing either...! I would put more blame on $BW, Mundine and Nasser. They know of the Australasian identity with an honest dollar for an honest days work and not going away in the middle of the night. It's not really the done thing down here.

$BW coming home creates massive long term financial opportunities for him. He is now basically ensconced himself in three big markets - NZ rugby, France/Europe, Australia. He sells. With the NZRU, there are massive 'off field' financial opportunities for $BW to grab. He is a mercenary and I would believe this has been the big appeal for him.

Overall, to me $BW is, was and always will be king mercenary douche bag, second only to Anthony Mundine as a great pillar of hypocritical bullsh*t. If that floats your boat, thats cool.
yeah i dont disagree with you on the most part... just obviously the comparison with GWS.

i do feel abit for the NZRFU sometimes... they cop a sh*tload from the Union diehards about not doing enough to keep hold of our best talent... knowing full well because of our size we cant compete financially with the european clubs... yet when they show some initiative and do something else... ie Daniel Carter's 'sabbatical' or showing Nasser around the franchises they still get stick... its lose/lose for them imo.

but meh... ive given up on those bastards... i know current and former NZRFU board members... they care more about money than the community that put them there.

anyway... i digress...

if he signs he signs... but like you.. i reckon there are a few more important cogs to go after before SBW

shiznit

Coach
also... i just saw on Deaker that the Footyshow was going to have a big announcement from SBW 2moro night...

how strange is that... SBW may announce hes switching RU contracts on a RL show... they talk about RL promoting AFL by picking Izzy for SOO....

is he signs for the NZRFU the bloody footyshow is promoting a RU player switching between RU clubs...

Its only cos Mundine is pulling the strings. He has a fight coming up so wants to promote that on the footy show by using SBW

Last weeks footy show when they did the interview with Williams was dodgy as but look what was behind him and in fromnt of the cameras, a Mundine fight poster advertising his next fight.

SBW will plug mundines fight again suring the show. As i said Mundine is pulling the strings

ozbash

Referee
also... i just saw on Deaker that the Footyshow was going to have a big announcement from SBW 2moro night...

how strange is that... SBW may announce hes switching RU contracts on a RL show... they talk about RL promoting AFL by picking Izzy for SOO....

is he signs for the NZRFU the bloody footyshow is promoting a RU player switching between RU clubs...

Nothing surprises me anymore with the Footyshow..

Micistm

Bench
hmmm, ok.

see some are still hurtin....

You'll all be singing his praises next year at Eden Park when he brings us home in the WC final... oh yes, the humble pie will be scoffed in huuuuuuuuge quantities :cool:

I don't think so, simply as his footy talents aren't in question.
But honestly- if he is part of a WC winning team that won't really prove much,if he doesn't hang round long after. To me, what WOULD actually prove his sincerity is if he either (A) Doesn't make the ABs for the WC, but stays anyway to keep at it until he makes it; or (B) Makes the ABs, does well in the team but we miss out on the WC. But despite that stays and makes a go of a long term AB member. Then-He may just get some good will back. Although I'm not a Rah rah man that would show me a bit of guts to follow a goal and stand by teammates.

ozbash

Referee
I don't think so, simply as his footy talents aren't in question.
But honestly- if he is part of a WC winning team that won't really prove much,if he doesn't hang round long after. To me, what WOULD actually prove his sincerity is if he either (A) Doesn't make the ABs for the WC, but stays anyway to keep at it until he makes it; or (B) Makes the ABs, does well in the team but we miss out on the WC. But despite that stays and makes a go of a long term AB member. Then-He may just get some good will back. Although I'm not a Rah rah man that would show me a bit of guts to follow a goal and stand by teammates.

lol, do I detect a wavering of the faith there Mici ?

He will become an AB, probably next year.
They need a classy 2nd 5/centre, Nonu is past his useby and you can bet your rent money that SBW will be schooled up by the best..

Meth

Staff member
yes and he is tipped to join Counties Manukau who are coached by Tana.

or Canterbury

or both

And I am happy with that. Counties are my NPC team and the Crusaders my Super 14 team.

BTW- he obviously isn't totally motivated by money- he knocked back a huge offer to stay on at Toulon

Micistm

Bench
lol, do I detect a wavering of the faith there Mici ?

He will become an AB, probably next year.
They need a classy 2nd 5/centre, Nonu is past his useby and you can bet your rent money that SBW will be schooled up by the best..

Lol, who knows? We'll wait and see. I'll always be disgusted in the manner he left League, and his gutless swipes at it by video from the safety of France...he has a lot of making up to do to restore some faith.
Again...we'll see.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
or both

And I am happy with that. Counties are my NPC team and the Crusaders my Super 14 team.

BTW- he obviously isn't totally motivated by money- he knocked back a huge offer to stay on at Toulon

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

at it again meth...hes on just over a million with the NZRU per season, more than what Toulon were offering.
SBW talks out of his arse...hes got everything he wanted

Drzoidberg

Juniors
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

at it again meth...hes on just over a million with the NZRU per season, more than what Toulon were offering.
SBW talks out of his arse...hes got everything he wanted

Source?

Just over a mill? is more than what he was going to earn at toulon? on a 6mill contract over 3 years. That dont add up.

cant find any concrete figure, all seem to be rumoured around $550,000

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10651309

Micistm

Bench
Was an interesting group of interviews on Radio Sport this morning with Frano Botica, and then comments from Phil Gifford. Botica is very cynical about the guy, basically suggesting the drop in money is stil not bad in comparison to what most are getting here in NZ, and that the AB jersey opens other doors. He questions his motives.
Gifford talked about what Sir Peter said when talking about SBW. Mad Butchers take was that when you get SBW on his own you wouldn't find a nicer person. However, when you take the other two clowns into the mix, Mundine and that manager I won't be able to spell(!)-that's a completely different thing. Gifford was expressing concern that the AB heiracy will have their work cut out for them keeping the group in check.
I found that an interesting and valid point; I'm sure the NZ Rugby weren't completely happy with their big announcement coming out on an Aussie League show...again for a fee.
Interesting though. Will be very interesting to watch.

Martli

Coach
And as has been said before, it's not so much the money he can make right now, it's the money he can make in the future once he can call himself an ex-All Black. He wants to be the next Jonah Lomu, not so much on the field but as the face of Rugby post-career.

Think about it this way: he's 25 years old right now. He could probably still pull a decent contract in France after the WC. If he took an offer with a French club now, for 3 years, he'll be 28 and near the end of his career. When his career's finished, how is he going to sell himself? He'd have been "that dude that was pretty good at league but then went and played rugby union in France for the rest of his career" as opposed to "Ex-All Black and Kiwi Sonny Bill Williams" if he can make the All Blacks during this stint. It's all about getting the accolades right now. The money will come later on both during the twilight of his playing career and after it.

Micistm

Bench
And as has been said before, it's not so much the money he can make right now, it's the money he can make in the future once he can call himself an ex-All Black. He wants to be the next Jonah Lomu, not so much on the field but as the face of Rugby post-career.

Think about it this way: he's 25 years old right now. He could probably still pull a decent contract in France after the WC. If he took an offer with a French club now, for 3 years, he'll be 28 and near the end of his career. When his career's finished, how is he going to sell himself? He'd have been "that dude that was pretty good at league but then went and played rugby union in France for the rest of his career" as opposed to "Ex-All Black and Kiwi Sonny Bill Williams" if he can make the All Blacks during this stint. It's all about getting the accolades right now. The money will come later on both during the twilight of his playing career and after it.

You're onto it. Got the big dosh from France, but to keep the money coming in, in years to come the profile needs to improve, otherwise he'll just be remembered for the antics during the code switch more than anything else.
Remains to be seen if that doesn't stay the case though.