What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Schiff IS Goonski

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Chachi said:
It's sure going to be interesting next year. Maybe we'll see...
1. Zilly
2. Chalk
3. Graham
4. Howell/Goodwin
5. Best
6. Carney
7. Dobson
We'd probably leak a sh!tload of points, but it could be fun to watch when we have the ball! Maybe put TLL in the 4 just to give the defence some respect out there??

That`s not a team...it`s a rabble!

I`ve watched Dobson go round in ESL, and he is a very talented young reserve grader. In 2 or 3 years he will be ready to start his NRL career. Carney, while coming along nicely, is still not able to push a team around the paddock.

I am very nervous that we are losing players and not replacing them. Even Best for Mogg is a step that is at best sideways and at worst well backwards.

Hate to be negative, but I think our 2007 team as it stands is a lot more likely to be raising the wooden spoon than the 2006 team ever was.

Raider_69

Post Whore
id be inclinde to agree but thankfully you... er matt elliott, signed with penrith, so we'll be ok

Raider_69

Post Whore
btw it was f**king halarious, there we are, in the middle of penrith getting stuck into by penrith fans about the loss...

this was your typical after match convo:

penrith fan: piss off back to canberra ya useless pricks, go penrith
raiders fan: good luck with elliott next season haha
penrith fan: ohh f**k *depressing look creeps in*

thickos

First Grade
This is all very sad, and I find it depressing everyone has turned on him before a decision has even been made!

Schif was on sportsworld yesterday, if anyone saw it. He said he's got 'a week full of big decisions' coming up. What that means is anyone's guess but clearly the QRU has come to the party with the cash. If he goes then yes I will be upset but the clause in his contract is there, it's not as if he is breaking his current contract agreement or anything. He was made a free agent by Elliott leaving and that's the deal we have to cop.

dubby

Bench
Thickos, it is still a hard thing to cop from a guy who has given the impression that he loves this club more than anything. His onfield passion and commitment have been inspirational and the fans have loved him for it.

But he has said in the last few weeks he will stay.

Now that the ARU have found the extra $$, it sounds like a cop out for him to leave. Does he really need the extra $$, or is it an excuse to leave because Elliot is leaving? What challenges can RU give him that he does not already have as captain and icon of the national capitals most successful team?

He has left his decision late leaving us no chance of signing a decent replacement, he seems to be in a hurry to leave to a code where he will be a goalkicking winger with no leadership....i could go on.

I admire Shif. He means alot to this club and thats why this issue is hurtful and sensitive. He is our captain FGS.

I respect his decision to search around. Its his life. But the way he has gone about it and his reverse decision (I'm going-now-i'll-stay-no-i'm-going-again)
has not impressed alot of people.

Lime_Green

Juniors
thickos said:
This is all very sad, and I find it depressing everyone has turned on him before a decision has even been made!

Schif was on sportsworld yesterday, if anyone saw it. He said he's got 'a week full of big decisions' coming up. What that means is anyone's guess but clearly the QRU has come to the party with the cash. If he goes then yes I will be upset but the clause in his contract is there, it's not as if he is breaking his current contract agreement or anything. He was made a free agent by Elliott leaving and that's the deal we have to cop.

But he broke his word. This third party top up payment was in the offing even when he wrote that article, which is what shocks me the most. In the same newspaper on the same day his manager was quoted as saying they were still looking at that possibility. It's almost enough to make you wonder if he did it to ensure SOO selection (Meninga may have been reluctant to select him if he was going to the Reds), which in turn ensured that a third party sponsor would come along to top up the $250K the QRU can pay. (as someone on another forum suggested)

The worst thing is he's not even going for anymore $$$, my understanding is that they are only matching the Raiders $340K.

thickos

First Grade
I agree that his CT article looks like very poor form now...

... I don't know what to make of it. Maybe I'm in shock, for the second time in three years, that my favourite player is leaving the club.

Boing Boing

Juniors
Whether he stays or goes, he owes the fans a huge explanation/apology. To 90% of Raiders fans, especially the casual/less passionate than teh forummers, he is a favourite.

Come on Clinton, what on earth is going on? Throw us a fricken bone here!

Lime_Green

Juniors
It certainly would be nice if he would explain just how it is he's still considering this given that he declared he'd be with us next year.

Throw us a bone indeed.

I want to think well of Choc, as with many of us he's my favourite player. He's not giving us much to go on at the moment.

Boing Boing

Juniors
Yeah. I won't hate on him if he stays, as I'm not sure any of these news reports are his doing, given that there are zero quotes and one indirect quote: "Exciting".

Whether it's his doing or not, he needs to give an explanation to those fans who show up at Bruce every week, especially the ones who travel to places like Penrith.

thickos

First Grade
Schifcofske's Red herring Skipper may go after saying no
Peter Fitzgerald
Monday, 10 July 2006

Clinton Schifcofske's future with the Canberra Raiders appears short-lived.

Canberra's chances of preventing its skipper defecting to rugby union next season seem slim after his manager Steve Gillis yesterday gave the strongest indication yet that his client would switch codes.

Gillis admitted there was a "very, very real chance" Schifcofske would walk out on the Raiders with two years of his contract remaining to join Super 14 franchise the Queensland Reds in 2007, while the player himself described the thought of playing rugby next year as "exciting".

Gillis' revelation came as Raiders chairman John McIntyre expressed his "disappointment" at Schifcofske's expected impending announcement, two weeks after pledging his commitment to the club in his exclusive weekly column in The Canberra Times.

McIntyre hoped Schifcofske would turn his back on the 15-a-side game and remain in Canberra, but accepted the chances of that becoming a reality were unlikely.

"I hope he doesn't go because he's been great for the club but as they say in the classics, no-one's irreplaceable," McIntyre said.

"What is a shock is that this has all come after [Schifcofske] made a commitment to the Canberra public. It is disappointing and I'm sure he'll be disappointed in himself.

"But there was enough information coming from the rah-rah's [rugby union officials] all along that they had never closed the door."

Schifcofske's initial desire to switch codes hit a brick wall two weeks ago when the Australian Rugby Union insisted it would not grant financial assistance to the Reds to help them secure the Queensland Origin fullback's services.

But the Reds' new coach Eddie Jones has been scouring third-party sponsorship to top-up the offer, which is believed to be nearing the $340,000 per season Schifcofske earns playing for the Raiders.

Gillis met with Jones in Sydney on Friday and was impressed with what the coach had been doing to again try to tempt Schifcofske.

"Queensland remain confident they will manage to rally enough third-party sponsorship to tempt Clint to give it a go," Gillis said.

"As we've seen in the past when Andrew Johns was being tracked by the Waratahs, third-party sponsors will chip in.

"Clint will make a decision definitely by the end of this week."

Despite being tied to the Raiders until 2008, Schifcofske had an escape clause added to his Canberra contract when coach Matt Elliott announced he would be leaving at season's end.

The Canberra fullback insists his possible shift to rugby has nothing to do with his relationship with incoming coach Neil Henry, but moreso that he only has this season to exercise the clause.

Schifcofske told The Canberra Times he would discuss the issue with his wife Niomi - who also hails from Queensland - but hinted he would more than likely go.

"[The Reds] are keen to get me there and think I could do a good job for them," he said.

"It excites me to go home. They're [Reds] fair dinkum, so I've got to sit down and weigh up a few things and see where it goes from there."

Meanwhile, Raiders winger Craig Frawley will this morning have an MRI scan on his injured hamstring.

Frawley suffered the injury in the eighth minute of Canberra's 24-12 loss to Penrith on Saturday night and took no further part in the game.

A decision on the availability of Lincoln Withers (concussion) and David Howell (bruised kidneys) for Sunday's home match against the Wests Tigers is also expected today.

Lime_Green

Juniors
Thanks for posting that.

Hmmm sounds like the Raiders management are rather peeved off. Good to see McIntyre saying what we've all been thinking. Closes the door fairly firmly on doing anything to keep him though doesn't it.

Sounds like a forgone conclusion.

*sigh* Bye Choc. Thanks for the memories.

Chachi

Bench
Tokyo_Raider said:
That`s not a team...it`s a rabble!

I`ve watched Dobson go round in ESL, and he is a very talented young reserve grader. In 2 or 3 years he will be ready to start his NRL career. Carney, while coming along nicely, is still not able to push a team around the paddock.

I am very nervous that we are losing players and not replacing them. Even Best for Mogg is a step that is at best sideways and at worst well backwards.

Hate to be negative, but I think our 2007 team as it stands is a lot more likely to be raising the wooden spoon than the 2006 team ever was.
Well, whether you like it or not, this is something like what we're going to get. The only question mark is over Schif at this stage. Smith is gone, Mogg is gone, Ale is as good as gone and hopefully Purtell stays in PL for a while. I have no idea how Dobson will go, but I don't have to be Nostradamus to suggest either he or Zillman is going to be thrown in the deep end with Carney (unless Withers stays in 7 and Hinchy gets the 9 or something else from left field).

Other options?? Get Firman to break his contract and come here?? Frawley in the no. 4 or on the wing for Chalk?

Call me crazy, but personally I'm looking forward to it because I have a huge amount of confidence in our young players being able to step up. Carney and Chalk have already proven their true worth when Choc and Smith have been out, and Zillman is an absolute freak who should be playing FG on a regular basis already. IMO we can be a better TEAM with Choc and Smith gone.

Whatever happens it's going to be totally different next year and Henry has a hell of a job on his hands. We can either cry about it or get used to it.

Edwahu

Bench
At least it sounds like management were kind of expecting this. Hopefully they have had a plan B in place and we can pick up some decent replacements.

Chachi

Bench
Lime_Green said:
The worst thing is he's not even going for anymore $$$, my understanding is that they are only matching the Raiders $340K.
Yeah, but they want to sign him for 3 years rather than the 2 at Canberra.

dubby

Bench
Ed, there are no good fullbacks around ATM. Shif has stuffed us up majorly by stalling his decsion. McKinnon, Webb were available and we missed both.

I think Chalk will be no1 next year. I also think that the sooner Shif makes his mind up the better, $340k will be available to entice some good players here and we need to know what he will do.

This is getting sourer by the second.

Edwahu

Bench
I dont think we need a fullback at all. We have plenty of talent to come through in that department. There is still talent in other positions though. We could get Cooper (if he isnt officially gone yet) and Myles comfortably if he went.

If I was management I would give Schif a deadline and tell him after that deadline we would consider him gone. We cant stuff around much longer with 350k sitting in the "maybe" pile.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Chachi said:
Other options?? Get Firman to break his contract and come here?? Frawley in the no. 4 or on the wing for Chalk?

Since we're resisting the urge to call each other crazy....what about the rumours of Wing being released from the Roosters?

Latest posts