What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Schiff IS Goonski

jed

First Grade
thickos said:
I agree that his CT article looks like very poor form now...

... I don't know what to make of it. Maybe I'm in shock, for the second time in three years, that my favourite player is leaving the club.
But in good news, thickos has nominated Purtell as his new favorite player ;-)

Chachi

Bench
dubby said:
Shif has stuffed us up majorly by stalling his decsion. McKinnon, Webb were available and we missed both.
He has set our recruitment back 12 months. Imagine if we offered guys like Webster and Cooper an extra $50-100K each...

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Bummer.

Carney and Dobson are simply not going to be up to it.

(TR briefly considers starting a rumour that Stuart Fielden is coming down to play in th enumber 7 jersey next year).

legend

Coach
I think we need to be prepared for the fact that Colin Best will be our only major signing for 2007.

Rumour has it Wing will crucify his career and play under Elliott at Penrith.

I read somewhere we made Nate Myles a four year, one million dollar offer. He is the hottest property remaining on the open market and 250k per year is nowhere near enough to get him to put pen to paper. I'd say we are at least 75k per season too low.

I think we should look at a player like John Williams from the Eels. He has the potential to be a very good player.

As for Firman, that bloke is deadset the worst half in the comp and he wonders why he can't get a start at any club he goes to. He is crap, has the worst short kicking game in the NRL and is slow. I'd die of we signed that nuffy.

Edwahu

Bench
There is still some mail about George Nadira coming to the club. It might make sense if they want more experience in the halves, with Withers in the seven. I think Withers as halfback is going to have to happen either way.

What about Darius Boyd as fullback? We would be looking at some short term pain with so much inexperience but we would have an unbelievable core of talent in key positions.

Maybe we could bring back Villasanti? Even with his chequered past.

Overall there is still plenty of talent out there.

Macko8

Juniors
Edwahu said:
I dont think we need a fullback at all. We have plenty of talent to come through in that department. There is still talent in other positions though. We could get Cooper (if he isnt officially gone yet) and Myles comfortably if he went.

If I was management I would give Schif a deadline and tell him after that deadline we would consider him gone. We cant stuff around much longer with 350k sitting in the "maybe" pile.

exactly!!
Schif has turned his back on fans and management so there has to be a deadline of some sort, forshore.

Lime_Green

Juniors
The thing I hated most about that Sportsworld interview was the passion with which he said he would do what was best for him personally.

Fair enough, but should you be captain with that sort of mentality?

As everyone is saying this backflip is very bad for the club in terms of cap spending. A good captain would be both accountable to the club and would stick by their word.

Stuart

Juniors
Edwahu said:
There is still some mail about George Nadira coming to the club. It might make sense if they want more experience in the halves, with Withers in the seven. I think Withers as halfback is going to have to happen either way.

What about Darius Boyd as fullback? We would be looking at some short term pain with so much inexperience but we would have an unbelievable core of talent in key positions.

Maybe we could bring back Villasanti? Even with his chequered past.

Overall there is still plenty of talent out there.

I was just about to mention Boyd. I think he would be a great signing.

I think we have to come to grips with the fact we are going to be very inexperienced next year, there simply aren't any experiened players on the market.

In the long run i believe one painful season of re-building will be better than trying to remain mediocre by signing some average experienced players. IMO it will also be more of a step forward than the last couple of years where we have showed no planning for the future and haven't moved forward in terms of youth development etc. Give Zillman, Carney, Weyman, Miller, Sau, Tilse etc a year in FG and they and the raiders will start to hit their straps.

We have also been linked to Fraser Anderson and Samau, so i highly doubt we will not make anymore signings, it just looks like they will be of teh inexperienced 'young talent' type rather than the marquee player type.

Chachi

Bench
legend said:
I think we need to be prepared for the fact that Colin Best will be our only major signing for 2007.

As for Firman, that bloke is deadset the worst half in the comp and he wonders why he can't get a start at any club he goes to. He is crap, has the worst short kicking game in the NRL and is slow. I'd die of we signed that nuffy.
Even though I wrote that post about Firman I agree wholeheartedly. I'd much prefer to see Carney and Dobbo/Zilly given a crack - even if it does cost us some early season hammerings (which I don't think it will to be honest).

We can play Goodwin, Chalk or Zillman at Fullback.

We need to go after a gun centre, sadly their isn't really one on the market...

Prehaps we should search the ESL for one...

Stuart

Juniors
Chachi said:
Even though I wrote that post about Firman I agree wholeheartedly. I'd much prefer to see Carney and Dobbo/Zilly given a crack - even if it does cost us some early season hammerings (which I don't think it will to be honest).

I think Herbert is a dark horse for the number 7 in 2007. Its a pitty he has been injured for a fair bit of this year, but he isnt far behind Dobson IMO.

Stuart

Juniors
Bulldogs
Tony Grimaldi, Trent Cutler, Nate Myles, Daniel Conn, Ben Czislowski, Jon Green, Nick Kouparitsasm, Jamie Small

Broncos
Scott Minto, Darius Boyd, Tame Tupou

Raiders
Jermaine Ale, Terry Martin, Jason Smith, Jason Croker*, Alan Rothery, Bronx Goodwin, Nathan Smith, Terry Campese

Sharks
Matt Hilder, Hutch Maiava, Luke Harlen, Clifford Manua,

Sea Eagles
Ben Kennedy, Kylie Leuluai, Nathan Tutt, Mark Bryant, Matt Ballin

Storm
Chris Walker, Dennis Scott

Knights
David Seage

Cowboys
Justin Smith *, Ray Cashmere, Josh Hannay, Travis Norton

Eels
Brett Delaney, Henry Perenara, Adam Peek, Jack Afamasaga.

Panthers

Dragons
Shaun Timmins, Reece Simmonds, Aaron Gorrell

Rabbitohs
Adam McDougall, Luke McDougall, Todd Polglaise, Shane Rigon, Ben Walker, Shane Walker, Trent Young, Manese Manakafoa, Mark Minichiello, Joven Clarke, Rhys Hanbury

Roosters
Daniel Dumas, Glenn Hall, John Doyle, Lelea Paea, Lopini Paea, Mickey Paea, Nigel Plum, Sam Perrett, Vince Mellars

Warriors

Tigers
Daniel Fitzhenry, Shane Elford, Ben Reynolds, Jarrod Saffy

This is a list from the GH that has been updated regularly by schifty. It gives a good idea of the lack of quality players on the market ATM

Roy Rover

Juniors
Not too many options there.
Mad Dog McDougall could be worth a go.
Can play centre or fullback. He might barely play due to injury and suspension or he might be a sensation. It's impossibe to know but I think he's worth a shot. Plus it would be kind of cool and ironic to replace one steriod abuser with another.
The other player I think we should consider is big Pat Richards.
Does anyone know if he can play in the centres?
He's certainly big enough.

Timbo

Staff member
We're dead-set certs for the spoon at this rate.

I agree with legend-we need to wake up and smell the coffee, that is, Colin Best will be our only real signing for next season.

If I could, for a moment, terrify the members of the class with this little chart I've just done:

Player Name-(no. of FG games) *NB-this is how it stands now, regular FG plaers could have 7-9 more caps by next season*

1-Marshall Chalk (29)
2-Colin Best (121)
3-David Howell (49)
4-Phil Graham (68)
5-Craig Frawley (48)
6-Todd Carney (29)
7-Michael Dobson (0)
8-Dane Tilse (8)
9-Lincon Withers (116)
10-Michael Weyman (16)
11-Tom Learoyd-Lahrs (27)
12-Jason Croker (310)
13-Alan Tongue (114)

14-Troy Thompson (82)
15-Josh Miller (27)
16-Alan Rothery (24)
17-William Zillman (3)

That is a grand total of 1071 games, averaging 63 games per player.

What's TRULY DISTURBING is that if Toots pulls a hammy we drop to 761 games, with an average of just 44 per player.

At the moment, a full strength side of Schifcofske (226), Frawley, Graham, Mogg (82), Howell, Smith (183), Carney, Tilse, Woolford (226), Weyman, L-L, Croker, Tongue, Thompson, Hodgson (110), Miller, Withers has 1721 caps...

We will be by far the most inexperienced side next season, especially if Toots breaks down.

Just a thought-does anyone know if there's anyone we could snare from the ESL?

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
I can't understand why the Raiders no longer look to the Pacific Islands for talent. Surely there must be guys who aren't getting a go in Super 14 that are more talented than some of the nuffies on the market and already at the club (no need to mention names). On top of their talent, if they do perform they won't be eligible for State of Origin etc so you get more value out of them. The Days of Nadruku, Vainokolo seem long gone.

Latest posts