What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Schiff IS Goonski

Lime_Green

Juniors
Roy Rover said:
Because both Shif and Mad Dog have tested positive for steriods in the RL careers.

Schif took steroids? Wow. When? More info please I'm obviously not appropriately up to speed. :shock::shock:

Timbo said:
This is just too bloody much for me.

I look at that list of who's left and sigh.

I'm sick of hearing that the Roosters have signed Anasta, the Eagles have signed Kennedy or the Eels have signed Tahu, to turn around and see we've signed John Smith, a 'promising young player'.

I would FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE to see a headline "[insert name], origin star, signs for Raiders".

WHEN IS IT GOING TO BE OUR TURN TO SIGN A SUPERSTAR!!!!!

AAARRRRGGHHH!!!!

Think of it from our point of view Timbo, we (knights) havn't signed ANYONE!! we re-signed Kurt Gidley, whopdee f**kin doo!!

raidersforme

Juniors
here is only info left around cause was in 98

Family man Schifcofske likes to keep his hands clean

9 March 2004

Clinton Schifcofske doesn't like to get his hands dirty - unless it's in his garden.

But should his rugby league career end, the Canberra Raiders and aspiring Queensland Origin fullback is also a fully qualified diesel mechanic.

Not only does Schifcofske, 28, know his agapanthus from his azaleas, he also knows his way around an earthmover's engine.

When he moved to Brisbane from the coal mining town of Moranbah to play with the now defunct South Queensland Crushers almost 10 years ago, Schifcofske was more excited about his apprenticeship than his football contract.

He was working alongside his father Michael in the mines when the Crushers offered him a contract and a transfer to Hastings Deerings in Brisbane.

"I didn't think I'd go that far in football so I was probably more excited about the job," Schifcofske said.

"But after about 12, 18 months, I started to go well with my footy and lost interest in my job. But I did finish my trade."

While he says he doesn't miss the machinery - "It's too dirty for me" - he credits his time in the trade for keeping his feet on the ground in a sport where instant money and fame can have disastrous consequences for young players.

"It helps if you've worked in the real world and seen how it's done," he said.

"A lot of guys these days come straight out of school and into good money and don't have to work for it. It comes too easy for them."

The collapse of the Crushers in 1998 gave the young Schifcofske another lesson in the value of staying grounded.

"It was pretty tough and it taught me the value of the money I get these days," he said.

"I was only young and I wasn't on that much money so it didn't really affect me but there were guys who were having their houses paid for by the club and it went for three or four months that their house loans weren't getting paid, car loans ... it was pretty scary and pretty dodgy, and a lot of guys came undone in a big way."

Schifcofske, who served a brief suspension at the Crushers after a self-confessed steroids breach, admits he could have gone off the rails when he headed to Sydney club Parramatta after the Crushers went broke.

"From Moranbah to Brisbane, I was young and it wasn't that big a step. But Brisbane to Sydney was a real shock," he said.

"It was pretty fast-paced and it's pretty easy to get left behind there. The first year I went there, I left without my girlfriend so it was pretty tough.

"I was in danger of going off the rails. Like most young blokes, I enjoyed a good time and I had a bit of money to have a good time with."

Schifcofske moved to Canberra in 2001 and achieved two goals the following year - pushing his way into the Queensland Origin team and marrying his long-time girlfriend Naomi.

They have two children, son Coby, who turns three this month (ed: March 16) and daughter Indy Lee, six months.

The doting dad divides his time between football commitments, playing with the kids and tending to his north Canberra garden.

"I grew up in a family that was very family-orientated and so did my wife," he said.

"I like to spend a lot of my time with my family and I like to get in the garden for a bit of time by myself.

"I don't have the ABC gardening show going on Saturday mornings - I'm not that old yet - but I don't think it's far off."

Schifcofske says his father has been the biggest influence on him.

"He probably loves his footy a lot more than I do and I hear from him a lot more during the footy season," he said.

And his son Coby is another powerful motivator to keep on playing.

"He's only three now but hopefully I can keep playing well for another four or five years so he remembers me playing," he said.

Timbo

Staff member
Apparently Penrith are after Marty...

Could he be considering a return to the NRL?

If this is true we must hurl the kitchen sink at him, he IS a genuine game-breaker.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Tame Tupou would be an awesome pick-up (although he's close to re-signing with the Broncos). I'd throw a wad of cash at him, he's gonna be a mad player.

Timbo

Staff member
I've just been told he's considering heading back, again.

It was my impression he'd re-signed with London too, but...?

Stuart

Juniors
Timbo said:
Apparently Penrith are after Marty...

Could he be considering a return to the NRL?

If this is true we must hurl the kitchen sink at him, he IS a genuine game-breaker.

He re-signed not long ago, i cant see him doing a complete 180 and leaving to come back to the NRL just weeks after re-signing.

Timbo

Staff member
I know that. Which is why I'm finding this so odd.

Stranger things have happened.

aussies1st

Staff member
legend said:
If I was to take the pick of the sh*tty litter, I would go for McIlwain from the Dogs, John Williams from the Eels, Gavin Cooper from the Cowboys, Matt Bickerstaff from the Dragons and Sam Perrett from the Chooks. He is very fast.

Gavin Copper won't be signing here. Hes signed for the Titans.

aussies1st

Staff member
raidersforme said:
is there any truth to that we are signing Justin Smith a 30 Year old from Cowboys

Wouldn't surpise me. Handy player who can play 5/8 and kick goals. Age is a bit worrying.

raidersforme

Juniors
i know why can't we sign up a on the verge player please please please

on the other hand henry knows him and he does have nrl experience since 2000 fg debut