What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Schiff IS Goonski

Timbo

Staff member
I think we're quite rightly pissed at the man.

I don't begrudge him leaving. I don't begrudge him trying union. I certainly don't begrudge him making him financial decisions which will affect the lives of his wife and kids.

What sh*ts me, is him saying he's staying, PUBLICLY ANNOUNCING he's staying, leading management to believe that they had $330k less than they actually did to go after new players, then leaving.

Phoenix_Raider

Juniors
I can't beleive i had his signature permanent markered on my jersey.. just above the Raiders logo.. it's now tarnished my fav item of clothing.

Oh well moving on.. i'll just buy next years jersey and all will be good!

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I never said people shouldn't be pissed off, in fact I said I could understand that. Some folk are going way over the top though and coming off as complete wankers.

nickraider

Juniors
Walt Flanigan said:
I never said people shouldn't be pissed off, in fact I said I could understand that. Some folk are going way over the top though and coming off as complete wankers.

Disagree mate. Schif was the Raiders to me and a lotta of other guys. Captain and a great player. He has done the wrong thing. Say no more.

raidersforme

Juniors
Timbo said:
I think we're quite rightly pissed at the man.

I don't begrudge him leaving. I don't begrudge him trying union. I certainly don't begrudge him making him financial decisions which will affect the lives of his wife and kids.

What sh*ts me, is him saying he's staying, PUBLICLY ANNOUNCING he's staying, leading management to believe that they had $330k less than they actually did to go after new players, then leaving.

Exactly i had more grief than you originally, and i respected him taking all opinions, preferred him taking them earlier, and got pissed at his lateness for the club,

YES I AM BECAUSE OF THE WAY I FEEL IS THIS.

Yes i will consider and get back to you, you loyal %$#^ ,and let you know, when i am good and ready, i will let you know what i am doing, when i really feel like it or the price is right , because who the %$#^ are you? "To tell me what to do, and where i should live", i told you i will stay, but hey you did not have a contract and that's that's, too bad so sad, the matter's you insit on, don't mean nothing i want my money and I WANT IT NOW, and you can call me, and can still believe i will be around, but if you're smart you will see i have done all but sell my grandmother, to go to union.

To have OUR CAPTAIN CARRY ON LIKE THIS, is the most disloyal part about this, what does it show to all players at the club, to treat the club, hey if the captain can get away with it, why cant we????.

In a way as well after this whole month i am for the management giving him these terms.

1. He has 48 hours to decide
2. He has used this option and now it is closed
3. he will get a penalty of payments if he chosse's to be released

Note: These are note schif saying but my understanding after a nearly a month of this

Bay56

First Grade
I would suggest that as from tommorrow schifturncoat will go down as the worst captain this once proud club has had

Lime_Green

Juniors
It's pretty clear that he's going, he's just waiting for the third party sponsor to have completed negotiations.

I don't like the way he is p*ssing the fans and the club around. Treating us as very much an option of last resort.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Look, Shif may not have handled this well, but he's been a good servant for the club.

I'm disappointed with the long, drawn out nature of his apparent departure, but guys....really, get over it. Walt's right...this is positively bitchy.

He's been a great player for us, he's been great for the club and while this whole situation leaves a bad taste in your mouth don't you think it's time to stop the whining and get over it??

Why can't you just celebrate what he's achieved, thank him for his efforts and smile quietly to yourself when a 130kg prop from South Africa stands on his head?

I'm a Shif fan. I'll enjoy watching him go round for the Reds, and I hope whoever is in the #1 jersey in 2007 takes just as much pride in his performance for the Raiders as Shif has.

Tokyo_Raider said:
Look, Shif may not have handled this well, but he's been a good servant for the club.

I'm disappointed with the long, drawn out nature of his apparent departure, but guys....really, get over it. Walt's right...this is positively bitchy.

He's been a great player for us, he's been great for the club and while this whole situation leaves a bad taste in your mouth don't you think it's time to stop the whining and get over it??

Why can't you just celebrate what he's achieved, thank him for his efforts and smile quietly to yourself when a 130kg prop from South Africa stands on his head?

I'm a Shif fan. I'll enjoy watching him go round for the Reds, and I hope whoever is in the #1 jersey in 2007 takes just as much pride in his performance for the Raiders as Shif has.

wot he said.

word!

dubby

Bench
Walt, TR, you are missing the point.
The captain of our club has lied to the club and the fans. He has indicated his intention of staying in the ACT and expressed commitment to the Raiders.

All of a sudden the offer is back from RU and with more $$ attached.
Now Shif says...."woops sorry guys, theirs more money now from another offer, I'm gonna take that. Sorry about the misunderstanding though, I hope you'll look thru rose coloured glasses and remember the day i kissed the Raiders emblem on my jumper. I hope you remember me for the player i was and not the sell-out ar*ehole i am now".

He lied. He reneged his decision and his word. All this from a guy who has "passion" for this club.

He has sold his soul.

SHif; I liken you to Judas Iscariot....

Of course; i should wait until a decision has been made before I make these accusations, but i am just so angry he has backflipped on his statement that he was staying with the club.

Surely he would have signed by now if he was fairdinkum though??

thickos

First Grade
Ex-skipper Woolford happy to stand by Schifcofske as Raiders' main man
Doug MacDougall
Tuesday, 11 July 2006

Former Canberra Raiders skipper Simon Woolford yesterday slammed suggestions Clinton Schifcofske should stand down as captain if, as it is growing increasingly likely, he decides to take up an offer to join the Queensland Reds.

Shifcofske's switch to rugby union is almost complete, with his manager saying he's "nutting out a deal" for his client to join the Queensland Reds.

Despite being tied to the Raiders until 2008, Schifcofske has a clause in his contract which allows him to leave the club when coach Matthew Elliott joins Penrith next season.

Schifcofske met with Queensland Reds coach Eddie Jones about a possible cross-code switch on Friday, with the former Wallabies mentor "90 per cent" confident he will join the Super 14 franchise on a three-year deal.

Incoming Raiders head coach Neil Henry said the club would "move on" if Schifcofske opted to leave Canberra, but was reluctant to point to a replacement skipper.

Woolford was adamant Schifcofske's impending decision on whether to join former ACT Brumbies and Wallabies coach Jones at the Reds should have little consequence on the rest of his season.

"No, I don't think he should stand down at all," Woolford said of Schifcofske.

"He's done a great job this year, we've got eight weeks to go and there's no reason why - if he does decide to leave - that he should stand down as captain.

"Everyone respects him for the job he does and that won't change, no matter what his decision. I don't think it will even be an issue for the club."

Henry, who will join the Raiders on November 1, downplayed the impact of Schifcofske's departure.

"It's of some concern because he's an integral part of the club [and] of course we're going to miss him because of his experience," Henry said.

"He's a valued player, the club captain, and a leader, so he's certainly part of the future of the club.

"But at the moment, [Schifcofske joining the Reds] is speculation and I can't do much about that.

"He's a valued part of the club this year and we're hopeful he'll be a valued member of the club for the next couple of years for the term of his contract.

"But [if Schifcofske leaves] the club will move on."

Woolford suggested an experienced player should take over from Schifcofske.

"Maybe if Jason Croker still hangs around for next year he'd be an obvious choice," Woolford said.

"But he's looking at moving to England at the moment.

"So I guess you'd have to look at someone like Alan Tongue or Lincoln Withers, someone who's been here long term and could be a long-term captain."

Henry, however, indicated one of the Raiders' younger members could "step up" as captain.

"No one stands out as an obvious choice," Henry said.

"I know that Matt Elliott has got a young leadership group at the club, and it might be one of these young guys that steps up to the mark if, hypothetically, [Schifcofske leaving] was to happen.

"But at the moment whether or not [Schifcofske] leaves is all speculation."

Schifcofske's manager Steve Gillis said yesterday he was in the process of working on a deal with the Reds.

"I think there's now a very realistic chance he's going to go," Gillis said.

"[Clinton's] spoken to some people about where he's at and what he wants to do and he's serious about it."

In other NRL contract news, Parramatta and UK club Salford have dropped out of the race for Melbourne five-eighth Scott Hill, with Super League clubs Castleford or London Harlequins set to pip the Storm for his signature.

sydraider

First Grade
I would vouch for tongue to take over as captain.

He pretty much puts in a captains knock week in week out as it is.

dubby

Bench
I don't think Tongue is a good choice as captain. I think it would affect his game; right now he just goes out and puts all in without the extra responsibilty as captain. Add the captaincy and i think he might struggle under the extra burden, and his workrate might suffer. His workrate is more important to the team as it is.
Plus, he mouths off a bit to the refs now, i doubt he has the respect of many referees.

Chachi

Bench
BSB Raiderman said:
Hill has signed to play in the ESL.
I don't think he has yet, but he's got a few ESL offers on the cards. It could be worth putting an offer to him I'd suggest.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
The paper this morning (though it was the Sunshine Coast Daily, and therefore mostly crap) said that he was going to the UK, but had not yet signed.

Wobbygong

First Grade
You should put an offer in, you guys are losing too much experience, I saw somewhere Croker is leaning towards going to the UK as well. Could be a couple of very long years coming up.

Smith, Schifcofske, Croker, Mogg and Woolford - that's alot of experience gone in one hit.

thickos

First Grade
Choc's needle pointing north - Raiders' late bid not quite enough
Chris Wilson
Wednesday, 12 July 2006

Canberra Raiders captain Clinton Schifcofske is set to cross codes and play rugby union next season despite a late fightback in negotiations from his NRL club.

Schifcofske said yesterday he would decide by the end of this week whether to play on at the Raiders until the end of 2008 or accept a three-year deal with Super 14 club the Queensland Reds.

In a final bid to retain their star fullback, Raiders general manager Don Furner and chairman John McIntyre met Schifcofske yesterday morning to discuss employment options after his playing career.

Schifcofske described the meeting as "terrific", but added he was still tempted by the potential to prolong his playing career in rugby union.

"I'd love to stay involved [in rugby league] but I also want to play as long as I can," Schifcofske said. "If I want to play longer, I realise the better option is probably union. There's more opportunities overseas."

Schifcofske, 30, is the highest paid Raiders player, on $340,0000 a season. Schifcofske's manager Steve Gillis said the Reds offer was in the "same ballpark".

"The Queensland offer is less but if he was to go it would be about the challenge, getting home [to Queensland] and extending his career," Gillis said.

"If he chose rugby he could play a couple of years in Queensland then go to England, France or Japan."

A close source said he expected Schifcofske to join the Reds. Schifcofske said he would make a decision in the "next couple of days". "Whatever decision I make it's going to be a tough one," he said.

NRL boss David Gallop rang the Raiders yesterday to offer assistance in negotiations. The Raiders also spoke with salary auditor Ian Schubert about the ramifications of offering Schifcofske a post-playing career.

The Raiders' major sponsor for 2007 - the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union - has offered to train Schifcofske with a view to employing him full-time at the end of his playing days. It would not count towards the salary cap.

The Raiders would also be keen to employ Schifcofske in their football department after 2008, but could not guarantee a wage without affecting the salary cap.

"I think he's an important player to the league and to the Raiders," Gallop said. "But we can't make him an exception."

Furner said he appreciated the NRL's assistance.

"It's great they've shown that interest and they realise how important Clinton is to us, particularly in the light that we are going to lose a lot of experience next year."

If Schifcofske does leave, Furner said the club would likely show faith in Junior Australian Kangaroos representative William Zillman to play fullback.

Furner said most of the high-profile free agents had already been signed. Raiders incoming coach Neil Henry will meet Queensland Origin and Bulldogs forward Nate Myles in Sydney on Saturday to discuss a potential four-year deal.

The Raiders had expected Schifcofske to stay in Canberra after the Australian Rugby Union refused to contribute towards an offer from the Reds. Queensland coach Eddie Jones has since raised funds through third-party sponsorship.

Schifcofske pledged his commitment to the Raiders in an exclusive column in The Canberra Times on June 24, writing, "I am pleased to announce I will be remaining in Canberra next year."

Schifcofske explained yesterday he thought the deal had been withdrawn and admitted he had spoken prematurely.

Furner was understanding. "That's footy," Furner said. "I don't begrudge anyone looking after themselves and doing the best for themselves at all. It's a very tough industry, it's a short life-span. Clinton expressed to me, even though he loves Queensland, this is his club and he loves it here ... it was good to hear him say that."

Latest posts