What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2021

Tigerm

First Grade
The club knows it. We need one top talent. The club went after Latrell. He is one of those talents.

I think the only way we get one of those talents is via junior development players. Stef is like that. He is quality. It's just that props don't have the same impact as players like Latrell, Staggs or Turbo.
They did, but he went to Souths a few years ago, it's what we are doing now is the issue?

Tiger05

First Grade
They did, but he went to Souths a few years ago, it's what we are doing now is the issue?

Who do we go after ? There aren't many of those players out there.

We desperately need a marquee back. It's hard to get them though. I want to see us going after some quality juniors. We've done well with Stef and Laurie.

stryker

First Grade
We’ve missed the marquees, half of them we didn’t even have a full tilt at.
Juniors are our only way out of this and that means years of pain ahead.

Fordy20

Juniors
Who do we go after ? There aren't many of those players out there.

We desperately need a marquee back. It's hard to get them though. I want to see us going after some quality juniors. We've done well with Stef and Laurie.
Dylan Walker is probably the only off contract player who comes close to being a marquee back.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I reckon one of the reasons WT have never really held players accountable and dropped them for extended periods of time to reserves is that year on end we have always somewhat been in the mathematical calculations to get into the final 8 so often the players could get away with poor performance and still know they would be picked sooner rather than later- the pressure being on the club and coach to try to get the team into the finals and reach a business success stage and the player escapes any accountability. How often have we heard we have to pick the best available player as a reason not to drop poor performers, we can still make the 8, and not promote juniors? Somehow I think we have to be coming last by a longshot before our management will see the time to actually get rid of the poor performers and not keep hoping they will come good. Even now we are not totally beyond the 8 if things fall our way, hence nothing else being done. Depressing. .

stryker

First Grade
I reckon one of the reasons WT have never really held players accountable and dropped them for extended periods of time to reserves is that year on end we have always somewhat been in the mathematical calculations to get into the final 8 so often the players could get away with poor performance and still know they would be picked sooner rather than later- the pressure being on the club and coach to try to get the team into the finals and reach a business success stage and the player escapes any accountability. How often have we heard we have to pick the best available player as a reason not to drop poor performers, we can still make the 8, and not promote juniors? Somehow I think we have to be coming last by a longshot before our management will see the time to actually get rid of the poor performers and not keep hoping they will come good. Even now we are not totally beyond the 8 if things fall our way, hence nothing else being done. Depressing. .
We don’t just deserve a spoon but actually need it.

gordsy

Juniors
The thing is great players won't come to us unless we pay them huge over, which means we won't be able to fix the other glaring holes we have. The only way to fix it as I see it get solid players and improve year on year. We are too dumb to do that though.

stryker

First Grade
The thing is great players won't come to us unless we pay them huge over, which means we won't be able to fix the other glaring holes we have. The only way to fix it as I see it get solid players and improve year on year. We are too dumb to do that though.
I actually think we are at the stage that generous overs would still be rejected by great players as their career trajectory would nose dive at our club.

macnaz

Staff member
I actually think we are at the stage that generous overs would still be rejected by great players as their career trajectory would nose dive at our club.
Sometimes playing for us actually promotes their profile. Just look at Sharon Woods , he was the ultimate plodder but stood out in a shithouse side and went on to represent his country.
Currently we have players like Laurie and Doueihi who are realistically just solid 1st graders at this stage but are made out in the media to be brilliant , even Moses Imbo got an origin jersey .

Vic Mackey

Referee
Dylan Walker is probably the only off contract player who comes close to being a marquee back.

I wouldn’t want him purely because of the off field shit. However Walkers return has had a big impact on manlys form. He has been sensational as a lock, comes on after 25 mins and causes havoc around the ruck with his speed and footwork, also has a very good short passing game.

He’s playing better here then he ever has at center. We really lack this type of player, I’d love to see Tommy Talau tried in this way.

What is crazy is if we won our two games against the Warriors (both of which we had won and shat the bed) we would be in the 8. Throw in the Tommy tribute games (cows and tits) abd we are pushing the top 6.

stryker

First Grade
What is crazy is if we won our two games against the Warriors (both of which we had won and shat the bed) we would be in the 8. Throw in the Tommy tribute games (cows and tits) abd we are pushing the top 6.
We are often in the position to win games but our spine is so hopeless at closing out the victory, we lose the ones we shouldn’t. As you have pointed out, these are the games that keep us out of the finals.

Latest posts