What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks can be back in the hunt!

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
In the modern day ferocious is the go but in the old days noble or animals that embolised pride was the way. Not saying I agree with the ferocious thing, far from it, but as a marketing point of view the boffins think that is the way to go.

gregstar

Referee
objects shouldn't be ruled out either.

the gold coast paperclips.

the canberra sponges.

etc etc

jackal

Juniors
sharko said:
It is good to see the Sharks restructuring their business model with the very prominent and succesful Tradies club at Gymea anxious to be involved with them. Tradies have been pursuing the Sharks for some time, the Sharks brand and professional image being much sought after.
The Sharks are profitable, reducing debt from previous administrations and are confident of making the semis next year and beyond.
When the Sharks are healthy, rugby league is healthy!

Absolutely, but why -

a) did Gallop recently 'allegedly' question the club over their financial position
b) are the Tradies not interested in the NRL entity, just the that they can't afford a 'big hitter' to enter the sand pit.
c) if they are so profitable are they seeking offers to sell out the Leagues Club

It's obvious they are a financial power house.

Next they will want to ask the members on what to do in the best interests of the club.

snoozer

Bench
basically we've got 5 groups of mascots

1)intimidating humans

warriors, raiders, titans, knights

2)intimidating animals.

tigers, panthers, dragons, sharks, eels, sea eagles, bulldogs

3)gay humans

cowboys

4)gay animals

roosters, rabbits, horses

5)atmospheric occurrences

storm

Frailty

First Grade
Absolutely, but why -

a) did Gallop recently 'allegedly' question the club over their financial position

As mentioned, the previous administration wasted money when they should have been managing their funds better. The Leagues Club was actually doing fairly well, but the Football club had a lot of debt. In the last financial year, the Leagues Club took over the debt with a reduced funding to the Football Club.
b) are the Tradies not interested in the NRL entity, just the that they can't afford a 'big hitter' to enter the sand pit.
The Football Club (NRL Entity) was never put up to merge - only the Leagues Club. Tradies would benefit from the additional pokies licences, and as previously mentioned, the Leagues Club trades fairly well.

From my understanding, Souths Juniors are also considering merging with the Leagues Club.

c) if they are so profitable are they seeking offers to sell out the Leagues Club

They are not selling off the Leagues Club. They are merging. Different thing.

As previously said, the Leagues Club trades relatively well when compared to operating costs. It would be looking for the merge to minimise the amount of debt it took from the Football Club in the last financial year.

It's obvious they are a financial power house.

I know it's a piss take, but the club is in a much stronger financial position than it was last year. I believe our memberships are up $10,000 on the same period last year.

Next they will want to ask the members on what to do in the best interests of the club.

I don't know if you are meaning to be slow, but you do understanding the idea of AGM's and the fact that members ELECT the board who make decisions. Decisions, such as the merging of the Leagues Club, must go to a Members vote... So yes they are asking if it is in the club's best interest.

to_ddeath

Coach
Stain Merge Illawarra Finches

F*ck he's sooo clever. How long did it take him to come up with that pearler.... such an intellectual is our
favourite knockabout numbskull sh*t for brains, yes it's RP. Like old furniture, he just won't leave even if
he's past his use-by-date.

T.

jackal

Juniors
Frailty said:
The Football Club (NRL Entity) was never put up to merge - only the Leagues Club.
There lies the million dollar question. Why merge the Leagues Club when it trades well?

Frailty said:
Tradies would benefit from the additional pokies licences, and as previously mentioned, the Leagues Club trades fairly well.
I agree, but it's more likely about not wanting a competitor in their area but one should not over look the fire-sale price they will get the land for.

Frailty said:
They are not selling off the Leagues Club. They are merging. Different thing.
Only difference is in context. Once a merge is executed the current board of directors are removed and the incoming board and administration are the new identity. They have the authroity to call the Club Tradies Gymea if they wished.

Frailty said:
I know it's a piss take, but the club is in a much stronger financial position than it was last year. I believe our memberships are up $10,000 on the same period last year.
I once remember when membership renewal was due by late Janaury, asking for it earlier each year (in this case October) will ensure they increase receipts periodically on year previous.

Frailty said:
I don't know if you are meaning to be slow, but you do understanding the idea of AGM's and the fact that members ELECT the board who make decisions. Decisions, such as the merging of the Leagues Club, must go to a Members vote... So yes they are asking if it is in the club's best interest.
It was tongue-in-cheek ;-)

Inferno

Coach
The 3 queensland teams are the worst. From what I heard the Raiders called themselves that because we were 'going to raid' the sydney premiership from Canberra when they formed in 1982. Plus, they were trying to emulate the Raider/Viking emblem.
I guess clubs don't see australian animals as ferocious enough. A team called the [blank] Emus would be OK, I don't think there is an australian national sporting side that uses that.

Actually I believe the national dodgeball team goes by "The Emus" :lol:

Inferno

Coach
Stingers actually. I forgot.

The votes was between Titans, Stingers and Pirates.

From the archives:

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=116104

Agree with you that Stingers was the best of the three.

I remember when it was first shortlisted to 10, and "Rockz" (yes rocks with a z) was an option
ugh.gif

adamkungl

Immortal
basically we've got 5 groups of mascots

1)intimidating humans

warriors, raiders, titans, knights

2)intimidating animals.

tigers, panthers, dragons, sharks, eels, sea eagles, bulldogs

3)gay humans

cowboys

4)gay animals

roosters, rabbits, horses

5)atmospheric occurrences

storm

I lold

This thread has completely moved away from the topic at hand.. it suddenly became the anti-CCBears, Titans-name-sucks, why australian teams don't use australian animals as emblems thread. lol And none of it helps the Sharks in any way.

bobmar28

Bench
"ferocious" mascots are overrated anyway. Roosters, Rabbitohs, Eels are fantastic. Storm, Titans = rubbish

Roosters and Rabbits are lame names for tough game like rugby league. Maybe Eels is ferocious enough.

Last edited: