What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks can be back in the hunt!

carcharias

Immortal
why do Australian sports teams have to persist in using non Australian type of animals/things as there mascots???

bears?
Raiders?
Titans?
Dragons?
bulldogs?
Cowboys?
Panthers?
Tigers?

the titans sucks arse hard.

BunniesMan

Immortal
why do Australian sports teams have to persist in using non Australian type of animals/things as there mascots???

bears?
Raiders?
Titans?
Dragons?
bulldogs?
Cowboys?
Panthers?
Tigers?

Because the "koalas" and the "cockatoos" are really as marketable as "tigers" and "dragons"? Why do they have to be aussie things? I think as long as the first part of the name, you know the suburb or the city, is Australian that can tell most people where the teams are from.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

bears?
Raiders?
Titans?
Dragons?
bulldogs?
Cowboys?
Panthers?
Tigers?

The 3 queensland teams are the worst. From what I heard the Raiders called themselves that because we were 'going to raid' the sydney premiership from Canberra when they formed in 1982. Plus, they were trying to emulate the Raider/Viking emblem.
I guess clubs don't see australian animals as ferocious enough. A team called the [blank] Emus would be OK, I don't think there is an australian national sporting side that uses that.

Last edited:

mightybears

Bench
The 3 queensland teams are the worst. From what I heard the Raiders called themselves that because we were 'going to raid' the sydney premiership from Canberra when they formed in 1982. Plus, they were trying to emulate the Raider/Viking emblem.
I guess clubs don't see australian animals as ferocious enough. A team called the [blank] Emus would be OK, I don't think there is an australian national sporting side that uses that.

And the Cowboys and Titans both [at least at one stage] used the colours of the American pro team that they pinched the name from.

bobmar28

Bench

bears?
Raiders?
Titans?
Dragons?
bulldogs?
Cowboys?
Panthers?
Tigers?

Because names like swans and cats sound so f**king lame.

otori

Juniors
There are decent ones like the Tasmanian cricket team being the tigers, the south Australia redbacks Townsville crocs, cairns taipans and of course all the national sporting teams. I reckon there's a few left that'd go alright as mascots. Tassie devil, dingo, funnel web, king brown, humpback whale or bats. It'd be funny to have the Darwin dingoes in the nrl

Central Qld Dingoes... Central Qld Crocs... Central Qld Cyclones... Central Qld Drovers... Central Qld Kookaburras... Central Qld Stingrays... Central Qld Capras... Central Qld Cassowarries...

carcharias

Immortal
Because the "koalas" and the "cockatoos" are really as marketable as "tigers" and "dragons"? Why do they have to be aussie things? I think as long as the first part of the name, you know the suburb or the city, is Australian that can tell most people where the teams are from.

why do they have to blatantly nick other seppo teams mascots???

fuggen hell.. we a gazillion different options right here in Australia and the best the can come up with is the Titans???

adamkungl

Immortal

bears?
Raiders?
Titans?
Dragons?
bulldogs?
Cowboys?
Panthers?
Tigers?

Animal names are pretty much always good... Raiders, as someone mentioned, at least has some meaning behind it. Titans is rubbish. Should have been the Stingrays.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Animal names are pretty much always good... Raiders, as someone mentioned, at least has some meaning behind it. Titans is rubbish. Should have been the Stingrays.
It was one of the names in the mix. I always thought Stingrays was a much better name but they claim it was put to a vote. I was there at name launch at Robina. Took lots of photos alongside the professionals and found out I was a crap photographer. lol

The whole professional marketing thing of nicknames is relatively new. The Dragons for example is really something that evolved, it was never originally thought up by a marketing firm. Nicknames pre-war came from what supporters and sport writers called the teams. For mine, "Rabbitohs" is the most unique of nicknames. There is no other sporting team in the world that has that name. But it only continued with Souths re-admission because fans demanded it over "The Rabbits".

Glebe were the Dirty Reds and Newtown were the Blues or Bluebags, named by fans due the colours. And Canterbury were the Berries because it sounded better than the unflattering creation of the 'Country Bumpkins' (CB on the badge) in the 1930s.

Darryl's Rugby League website has a pretty good list here: http://dazrl.awardspace.info/h_emblems.htm

adamkungl

Immortal
It was one of the names in the mix. I always thought Stingrays was a much better name but they claim it was put to a vote.

Yeah, I remember. The actual name proposed was "Stingers" iirc. Also a crap, overly stylised name imo, but debatably better than Titans.

But Roosters are

fizman

Bench
My understanding is that Parramatta are the only professional sporting team in the world with the name "Eels".

Quite unique.

adamkungl

Immortal
"ferocious" mascots are overrated anyway. Roosters, Rabbitohs, Eels are fantastic. Storm, Titans = rubbish