What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks captain Paul Gallen fined $10,000 for racist remarks at Micky Paea

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
However, the area of racial vilification is also something that is bigger than two individuals, it involves a principle that we must support across all areas of the game.
No arguement.

Good on Mickey though.

I await the responses of those that defended him, and defended racism.

here ya go......good on the NRL for acting fast and nipping it in the bud and gallen deserves every red hot cent of the fine that is coming his way

by the way i was not defending gallen or racism, my beef was the fact that everybody went off half cocked without any evidence of what was said

mxlegend99

Referee
What about a one week suspension? $10k is hardly going to bother a high profile player like Paul Gallen. A suspension is more likely to hit him where it hurts, especially when it will make him miss Origin 1.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
mxlegend99 - With no official complaint and no actually evidence I think that would have been to much a precident for the NRL.

Shorty

Staff member
No arguement.

Good on Mickey though.
Yeh, very honorable.
Not everyone would react like that.

here ya go......good on the NRL for acting fast and nipping it in the bud and gallen deserves every red hot cent of the fine that is coming his way

by the way i was not defending gallen or racism, my beef was the fact that everybody went off half cocked without any evidence of what was said
Alright that's fair enough then - Thanks for your clarification.

sharko

Juniors
Gallen has apologised so all you hysterical hypocrites can settle down again..his selection for NSW is the msot important thing now.

Parra

Referee
Gallen has apologised so all you hysterical hypocrites can settle down again..his selection for NSW is the msot important thing now.

The NRL has acted quickly and decisively. Because of this there was nothing to 'settle down'. What a positive change.

NRL Premiership

Sharks captain Paul Gallen fined by NRL for racially abusing Mickey Paea

May 25, 2009
Cronulla captain Paul Gallen has been fined $10,000 by the NRL for his alleged racial comment directed at St George Illawarra forward Mickey Paea on Saturday night.
An angry Paea told the referee Gallen had racially vilified him after he'd tackled the Sharks forward late in the Toyota Stadium clash, which the Dragons won 26-4.

But Paea declined to make an official on-field complaint and the pair reconciled after the game.
The league said in a statement it was fining Gallen $10,000 for a breach of the NRL player code of conduct.

“While there is no on-field audio of the words used by Gallen and while Paea has declined to make a formal complaint under the racial vilification policy, there is little doubt from the on-field audio that there was a racial issue involved,'' the NRL statement said.

“It has also been confirmed that Gallen has since apologised for his on-field comments.''

NRL chief executive David Gallop said the league was adopting a zero tolerance policy in regard to racism.

“While the apology is certainly an important step in the right direction, there needs to be a clear recognition that racial vilification is not tolerated in rugby league,'' Gallop said in the statement.

“This is not something that happens on a regular basis and it is not something that can be dismissed under the guise of what happens on the field stays on the field.

“I respect the fact that Mickey Paea has dealt with the issue one-to-one and that he wishes to move on.

“However, the area of racial vilification is also something that is bigger than two individuals, it involves a principle that we must support across all areas of the game.

“I don't believe racism is a part of rugby league and I don't suggest that these sort of comments represent a racist view, but I do believe that it is important everyone knows there are boundaries that simply can't be crossed.

“Excuses such as the heat of the moment or gamesmanship, when they are offered, simply don't change that fact.”

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25534860-5018866,00.html

Souths were proffessional enough to realise they couldnt have a racist representing their club as the captain and stripped Bryan Fletcher of the captaincy and made him do community service.

What action can we expect them to take????

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Cronulla have one of the most gutless management tiers in the game, and that's saying something when comparing to Souths when Fletcher was captain.

Gallen will remain as captain, they have no one else except Barrett.

I've given the Sharks the benefit of the doubt of no previous precident for such events that have occurred, however there is a precident here. Surely the sharks have no choice.

Snowden for captain!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
How will he loose the captaincy, will he be wearing a captains armband and it might fall off because it wasn't secured tight enough? :? :sarcasm:

Godz Illa

Coach
It's a sinking ship, he should be the captain to go down with it. Giving the job to someone else now would be like when Zapp Brannigan promoted Kif to captain of the luxury space cruiser Titanic just before it went into that blackish holish thing

Latest posts