What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks - Development about to "blow up"

dogslife

Coach
I'm waiting for Kpleb to jump on this he's been a bit quiet lately with the sharkies showing a bit of form (barring monday night of course)

Fair enough. I think it would just show that there are too many teams in Sydney.

Read between the lines and you'll see the NRL feel the same. They aren't going to ride to the Sharkies rescue. They're in a very vulnerable positon in so many ways -

Small fan base
Geographically surrounded by a massive club
Financially dire

They're expendable. Thats why I put this up. The development goes down and so do Cronulla-Sutherland.

The NRL then gets the best possible outcome from a strategic point of view - a team on the Central Coast, be it the Sharks or the Bears. Brisbane 2. Perth.

As I've said many times. Good luck to them. If they can do it then they survive and prosper, if not, they wither and die.

I understand all of that; but in a volatile time that we are in now I.e. IC being set up & new broadcast deal, the NRL needs the least distractions it can get.

Also in my opinion, the sharks situation can be used as leverage for the broadcasters, e.g. they can say " oh, your code isn't stable, we don't want to invest this much money just incase one of your teams folds and we are down 1 game a week".

Also sharks crowd numbers aren't the worst, there are other teams whom have had more success than the sharks yet, draw less.

docbrown

Coach
Come on, don't put yourself on the same level as bobmar. It's a laughable suggestion with less than zero chance of ever occurring.

I'm not trolling, I just honestly believe it would be of benefit to both clubs to expand their supporter base.

In 15 years I don't want to see 10k crowds.

I want to see 20k+ crowds with teams that have large national profiles.

An Easts/Sharks merger could potentially put it in the Top 5 clubs in terms of support. More than what I suspect they can get by themselves.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I understand all of that; but in a volatile time that we are in now I.e. IC being set up & new broadcast deal, the NRL needs the least distractions it can get.

Also in my opinion, the sharks situation can be used as leverage for the broadcasters, e.g. they can say " oh, your code isn't stable, we don't want to invest this much money just incase one of your teams folds and we are down 1 game a week".

Also sharks crowd numbers aren't the worst, there are other teams whom have had more success than the sharks yet, draw less.

Don't disagree with any of that, but the NRL have a rock solid Plan B in place.

The Central Coast. Either the Sharks relocated or the Bears. They'll be having that talk in the TV rights negotiations I believe and that is why they're so vulnerable.

Stagger Lee

Bench

Joking aside I feel sorry for the fans, they have been let down by grossly incompetent management over the years. However the club is on the verge of bankruptcy and rumours of insolvency are bound to surface when they refuse to release last years financials (How long can they legally hold off?)

But few people really want the Sharks brand to disappear forever and a rebirth in Gosford with the odd return to Shark Park will happen if the redevelopment does not go ahead.

Ausguy

Coach
I'm not trolling, I just honestly believe it would be of benefit to both clubs to expand their supporter base.

An Easts/Sharks merger could potentially put it in the Top 5 clubs in terms of support. More than what I suspect they can get by themselves.

Why not easts souths when rusty pulls the pin?

All the sharks want is a fair go... yes they have been helped in the past so have other clubs. But this time its being done by them, if they succeed the NRL has something very special to look forward to, the ground upgrades and overall finished product will be great. If they fail then as a sharks fan thats how it is.

We simply want to be left alone to have a go at fixing our future and the naysayers can f**k right off. They only jump on the "kill the sharks" bandwagon cos they know that if they get this development up and running then their team moves up the "to be folded" ladder.

Sure sharks are first.... but there are 3 or 4 right behind...

Don't disagree with any of that, but the NRL have a rock solid Plan B in place.

The Central Coast. Either the Sharks relocated or the Bears. They'll be having that talk in the TV rights negotiations I believe and that is why they're so vulnerable.

Joking aside I feel sorry for the fans, they have been let down by grossly incompetent management over the years. However the club is on the verge of bankruptcy and rumours of insolvency are bound to surface when they refuse to release last years financials (How long can they legally hold off?)

But few people really want the Sharks brand to disappear forever and a rebirth in Gosford with the odd return to Shark Park will happen if the redevelopment does not go ahead.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens I guess, I hope they can pull through it.

Ausguy

Coach

LOL... Stagger.... really?

The field will still stay there after we go broke and move to gosford? :sarcasm:

The field and land we own next door will be sold off for the 8 or so million it is worth to help pay debt....

Then a nice factory or 10 will be built there.

Im sure the residents will get lots of say and plenty of opportunity for community consultation on who and what gets built there.... :sarcasm:

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Why not easts souths when rusty pulls the pin?

All the sharks want is a fair go... yes they have been helped in the past so have other clubs. But this time its being done by them, if they succeed the NRL has something very special to look forward to, the ground upgrades and overall finished product will be great. If they fail then as a sharks fan thats how it is.

We simply want to be left alone to have a go at fixing our future and the naysayers can f**k right off. They only jump on the "kill the sharks" bandwagon cos they know that if they get this development up and running then their team moves up the "to be folded" ladder.

Sure sharks are first.... but there are 3 or 4 right behind...

Always gonna be haters and the Sharks are a soft target. Terry Kennedy is a smug prick who has an ego that well outstrips the value of his opinion and Gary Freeman is a dribbler of the highest order.

You're definitely being left alone mate. This owes to the fact that its a win / win situation for the NRL.

Ausguy

Coach
Always gonna be haters and the Sharks are a soft target. Terry Kennedy is a smug prick who has an ego that well outstrips the value of his opinion and Gary Freeman is a dribbler of the highest order.

You're definitely being left alone mate. This owes to the fact that its a win / win situation for the NRL.

TK is the biggest non human going around. He has nothing positive to say about anything... not a thing. Wont committ to a team cos then he cant get bagged. I hate him with a passion.

As for being left alone, i was reffering to fans getting off the bandwagon rather than the nrl leaving us alone.

Gallop knows our situation and has had meetings with the club.

everyone needs to sit back and let it happen.

Stagger Lee

Bench
LOL... Stagger.... really?

The field will still stay there after we go broke and move to gosford? :sarcasm:

The field and land we own next door will be sold off for the 8 or so million it is worth to help pay debt....

Then a nice factory or 10 will be built there.

Im sure the residents will get lots of say and plenty of opportunity for community consultation on who and what gets built there.... :sarcasm:

Fair point and yes you would be right.

I always worry with developers, they tend to be shifty - I sometimes wonder if they are playing on the sharks survival to get the go ahead - but to late to save the Sharks from insolvency and they end up with prime real estate.

Ausguy

Coach
Fair point and yes you would be right.

I always worry with developers, they tend to be shifty - I sometimes wonder if they are playing on the sharks survival to get the go ahead - but to late to save the Sharks from insolvency and they end up with prime real estate.

Not singling you out stagger but there is a good example of not knowing the facts.

The sharks remain the land owners... if the sharks go broke there is NO DEVELOPMENT... the land will be sold to pay off debt. They (the developers) gain nothign from seeing us die. They will actually lose millions.

Ive been to every info night and read more about these developers and asked more questions than Kmav has made threads about cronulla and im thoroughly satisfied the consortium are the right people to make this happen.

Last edited:

Stagger Lee

Bench
Not singling you out stagger but there is a good example of not knowing the facts.

The sharks remain the land owners...

Ive been to every info night and read more about these developers and asked more questions than Kmav has made threads about cronulla and im thoroughly satisfied the consortium are the right people to make this happen.

No worries :cool:

And the reason I am so suspicious? My team in England (Oldham Roughyeds) had a deal with a developer and the local council to build them a new stadium if they sold their old stadium (watersheddings). Due diligence was not carried out and we went from being a founding member of Super league to being homless / bankrupt and now playing out of a cow paddock that newtown jets 3rd grade would refuse to play on.

So I have lost a team - I know how it feels :(

adamkungl

Immortal

Easts can put themselves in the top 5 clubs by consistently winning football games for more than 4 months at a time...instead they play like spastics every second year.