What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks donor a mascot called reefy!

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Love and Freedom: An Insight into Fixing the Unbreakable

Best known for its steel mills and fervent football fever, the red blooded, blue collar community of Newcastle isn’t exactly where you would expect to find Australia’s most creative talents – at least off the field. Yet in Scott Raymond Thomas and Ian Gorton, the region boasts two men whose words have touched the hearts of literally dozens, most of all my own. Disaffected by recent unjust episodes in their lives, constantly plagued by the world around them, one is on a quest of love, the other a quest for freedom. I would like to share their stories with you.

Sitting in a seedy prison somewhere in California, Scott Raymond Thomas etches another day into the wall. Back at home his friends do the same, albeit on the internet. It’s a rough road to travel, Californian prisons being the most notorious of the western world, overcrowded and fraught with gang violence and racial tension. It’s an especially bitter pill to swallow because he didn’t do it. But it’s not a question of how Scott copes – he simply does – the question is how do we cope at home?

Where does a city turn when its local son is taken from their grasp? For present day Newcastle, Andrew Johns seems the obvious choice, the greatest rugby league player of his generation and arguably the greatest of all-time. It doesn’t get more straightforward than that. However, he was dominant long before Scott Raymond Thomas released his debut album ‘Fixing the Unbreakable’. Andrew Johns controls the horizontal and the vertical of Newcastle, but what for the diagonal? Enter Ian Gorton.

In a world where so many people are as fake as a three dollar note, Ian’s innocent charm gave us a renewed sense of purpose – something more meaningful than anything Andrew Johns could provide and an essential ingredient for the pie that is the Hunter region. Ian has the superhuman ability to describe otherwise ambiguous situations in excruciating detail, should anyone be reading. Still reeling from a depression sparked by Scott’s overseas incarceration, Ian Gorton’s weekly column – or experience as it’s commonly referred to – ‘Ian’s Insight’, provided Novocastrians from Raymond Terrace to Scone with a new hero.

His story of finding love was not unlike the story of Cinderella, although Ian isn’t your typical helpless maiden. He’s not even your traditional handsome prince, being somewhat burly around the edges and curly-haired – but this is real life after all, not some fairytale. Whereas Cinderella used the magic of her fairy godmother to find love and Prince Charming searched the land far and wide with little more than a glass slipper in hand to find that love in return, Ian used the magic of the internet and searched dating sites before finding a lovely little lady from Adelaide. Romance blossomed with an intimate spiritual connection from the most unlikely of places to the most unlikely of men. It wasn’t just some seedy one night fling, the behaviour we’ve come to expect from Jeremy John Mohekey, a Porirua local.

It seemed like an ironic twist of fate for Ian, having replaced Scott as the diagonal of Newcastle, finding love with a long distance relationship. Could it lead to a future move south? It brought echoes from the Scott Raymond Thomas-penned lyrics of Vanessa Carlton’s, ‘1000 Miles’. As it turned out for Ian, having his destiny intertwined with Scott’s would turn out to be very dangerous. Internet relationships come with their own dramas, as many of us are well aware – I have actually been pretty close to League Unlimited poster, Alba, in the past.

Ian, understandably, has been sketchy on the details of the separation and I respect his right to privacy. I don’t believe he made it to Adelaide before the couple went their separate ways, and perhaps that’s how it was supposed to be. He often spoke of the cultural divide, a rugby league fan dating an Aussie rules fan. It was a dangerous premise from the get-go, but love knows no boundaries. We all know what happened when Scott Raymond Thomas left Newcastle and would wish the same on no other. Scott left with a heart of gold, destined for platinum. Who knows how he’ll return? Hopefully by the time Scott Raymond Thomas finds freedom, Ian finds love too. Even without Andrew Johns, the future of Newcastle is destined for excitement.

The diagonals are all we really need.

- Mark Harris, 2006

Xenu

Juniors
Scott's last masterpiece - 'fixing the unbreakable' is one of the finest recordings from an Australian entertainer in the past decade. I openly wept when i learnt of his unjust incarceration.

'without music, life would not be fair' - Scott Raymond Thomas.

They took your freedom away from you Scott, but they could never take your talent.

Last edited:

PJ Marshal

Coach
Love and Freedom: An Insight into Fixing the Unbreakable

Best known for its steel mills and fervent football fever, the red blooded, blue collar community of Newcastle isn’t exactly where you would expect to find Australia’s most creative talents – at least off the field. Yet in Scott Raymond Thomas and Ian Gorton, the region boasts two men whose words have touched the hearts of literally dozens, most of all my own. Disaffected by recent unjust episodes in their lives, constantly plagued by the world around them, one is on a quest of love, the other a quest for freedom. I would like to share their stories with you.

Sitting in a seedy prison somewhere in California, Scott Raymond Thomas etches another day into the wall. Back at home his friends do the same, albeit on the internet. It’s a rough road to travel, Californian prisons being the most notorious of the western world, overcrowded and fraught with gang violence and racial tension. It’s an especially bitter pill to swallow because he didn’t do it. But it’s not a question of how Scott copes – he simply does – the question is how do we cope at home?

Where does a city turn when its local son is taken from their grasp? For present day Newcastle, Andrew Johns seems the obvious choice, the greatest rugby league player of his generation and arguably the greatest of all-time. It doesn’t get more straightforward than that. However, he was dominant long before Scott Raymond Thomas released his debut album ‘Fixing the Unbreakable’. Andrew Johns controls the horizontal and the vertical of Newcastle, but what for the diagonal? Enter Ian Gorton.

In a world where so many people are as fake as a three dollar note, Ian’s innocent charm gave us a renewed sense of purpose – something more meaningful than anything Andrew Johns could provide and an essential ingredient for the pie that is the Hunter region. Ian has the superhuman ability to describe otherwise ambiguous situations in excruciating detail, should anyone be reading. Still reeling from a depression sparked by Scott’s overseas incarceration, Ian Gorton’s weekly column – or experience as it’s commonly referred to – ‘Ian’s Insight’, provided Novocastrians from Raymond Terrace to Scone with a new hero.

His story of finding love was not unlike the story of Cinderella, although Ian isn’t your typical helpless maiden. He’s not even your traditional handsome prince, being somewhat burly around the edges and curly-haired – but this is real life after all, not some fairytale. Whereas Cinderella used the magic of her fairy godmother to find love and Prince Charming searched the land far and wide with little more than a glass slipper in hand to find that love in return, Ian used the magic of the internet and searched dating sites before finding a lovely little lady from Adelaide. Romance blossomed with an intimate spiritual connection from the most unlikely of places to the most unlikely of men. It wasn’t just some seedy one night fling, the behaviour we’ve come to expect from Jeremy John Mohekey, a Porirua local.

It seemed like an ironic twist of fate for Ian, having replaced Scott as the diagonal of Newcastle, finding love with a long distance relationship. Could it lead to a future move south? It brought echoes from the Scott Raymond Thomas-penned lyrics of Vanessa Carlton’s, ‘1000 Miles’. As it turned out for Ian, having his destiny intertwined with Scott’s would turn out to be very dangerous. Internet relationships come with their own dramas, as many of us are well aware – I have actually been pretty close to League Unlimited poster, Alba, in the past.

Ian, understandably, has been sketchy on the details of the separation and I respect his right to privacy. I don’t believe he made it to Adelaide before the couple went their separate ways, and perhaps that’s how it was supposed to be. He often spoke of the cultural divide, a rugby league fan dating an Aussie rules fan. It was a dangerous premise from the get-go, but love knows no boundaries. We all know what happened when Scott Raymond Thomas left Newcastle and would wish the same on no other. Scott left with a heart of gold, destined for platinum. Who knows how he’ll return? Hopefully by the time Scott Raymond Thomas finds freedom, Ian finds love too. Even without Andrew Johns, the future of Newcastle is destined for excitement.

The diagonals are all we really need.

- Mark Harris, 2006

that line does it for me :lol:

reefy aint got nothing on SRT

Apey

Staff member
Scott's last masterpiece - 'fixing the unbreakable' is one of the finest recordings from an Australian entertainer in the past decade. I openly wept when i learnt of his unjust incarceration.

'without music, life would not be fair' - Scott Raymond Thomas.

They took your freedom away from you Scott, but they could never take your talent.

best post on thread.

wish I was here the first time, he seems less nuttier now.. which is quite a statement.

bartman

Immortal
Looks like Reefy will be in jail for a while longer... (and I see there's some more C-Dogg references above in bumping this thread :lol:)
Sharks fan faces another 22 charges

December 17, 2009
CRONULLA'S most notorious fan, Clint Elford, faces a further 22 charges of creating fake medical and legal documents in order to defraud life insurance companies. Elford, of Goulburn, became a key player in the Sharks' nightmare season when it was revealed he had given then chief executive Tony Zappia $30,000 to help the struggling club. Zappia did not tell the club about the money, which is alleged to be the proceeds of crime. Elford allegedly obtained the funds by fraudulently convincing an insurance company he had a terminal illness. Elford, 27, made another brief appearance in Goulburn Local Court yesterday via video link from Goulburn jail. It is alleged he defrauded $525,000 from American International Assurance Company (Australia) Ltd and dealt with that money knowing it was the proceeds of crime. It is also alleged Elford made false statements to try to claim $1.5 million from Allianz Australia Life Insurance Ltd. In total, he faces 29 charges related to making fraudulent insurance claims using false medical and legal documents. Elford has also been charged with writing a letter threatening grievous bodily harm to Zappia. The letter, intercepted by Goulburn Corrective Services staff, was destined for a man with links to the Rebels motorcycle gang, it was alleged. ''I don't want him permanently hurt but he needs to be taught a lesson,'' the letter allegedly says. Elford's parents, Graham and Lesley Elford, have been charged with recklessly dealing with the proceeds of crime, and all three will appear in Goulburn Local Court again on January 27.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/sharks-fan-faces-another-22-charges-20091216-kxk7.html

Glenn

First Grade
Not only was Reefer involved, but his parents as well(allegedly at this point in time). :shock::crazy: