What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Kenny-Dowall not guilty of assaulting former partner Jess Peris

blacklock

Juniors
I don't get the correlation.. if a player did kill a girl, it would have little to do with any previous incidents (alleged or otherwise) by other players.

It would in the sense the nrl would be blamed for not curtailing a certain culture where violence against women is OK. Why else would they support special interest groups against domestic violence etc. It's all to promote a better image.

You're right in that each case should be judged on its own merits. But that's not the way the media works. They lump all the incidents together and suddenly you have an "epidemic" of violence in rugby league.

Bronco18

Juniors
Some warped views on the legal system here.

Apparently a complainant's allegations aren't evidence, but her character and mother's character is...

For the record they both are.

magpie4ever

First Grade
so you think she had two daughters and named them both Jessica?

genius

it was her, not a sister

I've already accepted that, so go get some more curlers in your blue hair.:lol:

Ok, it was her - so what?

Explain what you are trying to say, I want to see you defend what you are accusing her and her mother of.

kbw

Bench
I think its the appropriate thing to stand SKD down.

If he is guilty then he should suffer the appropriate harsh penalty but if its a complete stitch up as I believe it to be then I hope this woman suffers some pretty hard consequences too.

Rebel

First Grade
If hes found guilty, throw the book at him. If she's found to be lying, throw the book at her

Last edited:

Last Week

Bench
Some warped views on the legal system here.

Apparently a complainant's allegations aren't evidence, but her character and mother's character is...

For the record they both are.

Her past won't be allowed to come into court. Just like the criminal history of the person being charged. Unless both sides agree to it that is.

Tooooks

Bench
I'm surprised - although I don't know why - about the general lack of knowledge of how the justice system works displayed in this thread.

To charge SKD, police have a prima facie (old latin term meaning - "at first appearance) case against him, meaning on the evidence they have available, there is a good case against him. Of course, he's innocent until proven guilty, but charges like assault ABH would indicate they have photographic and or medical records to support the charge.

The charge of using a carriage serve to menace, harass or offend: they will have phone records to support this.

Stalking: no details given in the media, but again, you wouldn't normally charge someone with stalking if you didn't have decent evidence.

So on the face of it, it isn't looking great for SKD. Should players be suspended when charged with criminal offences? Yes, they should, in my opinion.

Someone suggested earlier (paraphrasing here) "what if he's found innocent? If he's been stood down he's been punished for no reason."
People aren't found "innocent". They're found guilty or not guilty, the burden of proof being guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

Eion

First Grade
That's all well and good mate, but innocent people are found 'not guilty' too.

The only sane way to deal with this is to let the courts decide and live with the decision, either way.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Plenty of professions would see you suspended on full pay until verdict depending on charge. For a sport trying to clean up its image, appear woman and family friendly and shed its bogun thug image I think there is reasonable argument to stand down any player charged with abuse of a woman.

Then again when you look at the calibre of some players playing in the NRL the bar is pretty low and the old everyone deserves a second chance is a line we love to trot out if a crim has a bit of talent.

bileduct

Coach
Seriously, this is one of the reasons there is a royal commission into domestic violence (vic) in Australian society. It is sickening.
As well there should be.

Although domestic violence covers a wide range of activities that include physical assault it seems that the focus is only on those who statistically end up worse off after a physical assault has occurred and reported to police. You see it any time domestic violence is brought up, and there is no examination whatsoever of the usual series of escalations that preceded physical violence.

I remember old advertisements about domestic violence that would show a couple arguing, fighting, throwing things at each other. Now it's just a father coming home from work and belting the wife and kids for no reason.

Jessica Peris' previous exploits are an interesting read. She assaults her former partner with an electricity board, but then gets "scared and intimidated" when he takes it off her and throws it at the wall.

Last edited: