What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shockingly bad movies you watched because they won awards etc

clarency

Juniors
The artist was fantastic. Well deserved of the best picture award. I had legit concerns that I wasn't going to be able to know what was going on, but it had me moreso than any other movie I have seen in the past few years.

Aragorn

First Grade
I think people with youmg kids can sort of relate to little miss sunshine more than people with out kids.
Especially ones with daughters....most people I know who saw it loved it .
I thought it was ok .
pretty funny...the shit you do for your kids is pretty insane at times.

I see what you mean. but the kid wasnt cute - if she was cute then perhaps those of us without kids could relate better...

Springs

First Grade
Well said.

Tree of Life was amazing I thought. Thin Red Line was also very good, another Malick film.

Don't want to sound like a wanker but some folks just don't "get" certain films. I think they're so used to the lowest common denominator approach of most Hollywood flicks that when something different comes along they just aren't prepared to broaden their minds to allow themselves an opportunity to enjoy it.

I guess I'll get a bunch of people say that they're entitled to their opinions, which they are, but it's a shame that you don't give other films a chance with an open mind.

The Tree of Life and The Thin Red Line are amongst my favourites yes. I can see why other people don't like them but it doesn't mean they are overrated. They are just for a select audience. They are pretty much poetry on film, especially the Thin Red Line, it's not a film like Saving Private Ryan. They deal with issues that are very close to me and so I love them. As a pure art form they are brilliant. But people watch them and either don't understand them or find them boring then can't understand how anyone would like them.

While say movies like Avatar I don't like at all, but I can understand how people would like a simple, near-plagiarised story with groundbreaking special effects. But me, I would rather watch Dances With Wolves or Pocahontas if I wanted a movie like Avatar, Dances With Wolves another film many find overrated.

Shockingly bad movies I often seek out because they are hilarious. Plan 9 From Outer Space is the stand out, but other low budget horror films like Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus, Dinoshark and Bear I also found funny.

The Artist is a film that doesn't interest me, but I don't doubt it's brilliance when it's been so well received.

And Gran Torino didn't actually win anything, but I thought it was great. It was a year where I thought Gran Torino, Wall-E and The Dark Knight all deserved nominations for Best Picture over the others that were nominated. The Dark Knight is another that polarises opinions. At the time most people thought it was an outrage it didn't get best picture, now if it shows up on any best film lists a ton of complaints come through from 'real film fans' that it's not 'real cinema'. It's amazing how high and mighty film fans can get with their opinions, they might as well take up that useless career of film critic.

Another thing I don't care much for is acting. I usually suspend my disbelief for any film completely instead of complaining about any acting I don't like. It's a bit ridiculous the whining that goes on about certain actors and I think they get either too much credit or too much blame for movies. Some people see fit to complain about a 3 year old's acting for example, or just keep complaining about an actor they don't like (I am included with this, Anne Hathaway), doesn't mean they are a bad actor just because they annoy you. But actors are often told how to perform, or the director accepts their performance so if you consider it bad acting remember the director was happy with the performance. Also actors often deliver lines several different ways so it's useless commending them for how they deluver a certain line. I don't know I just think some actors get way too much credit for their performance while those with a lot of talent in accents or improv (you know, something that actually requires talent) like Gary Oldman, Jim Carrey etc get less credit than they deserve. I think the hallmark of a brilliant actor is being able to play a completely normal but different person. In my experience it's far easier to portray a lunatic like The Joker or Johnny Depp's various weirdos. In the world of acting, where a 7 year old can win an oscar and a 5 minute performance can be nominated, people off the street can often put in as good a performance as an actor with 20 years of training. Acting is a profession where I do not believe their pay matches the talent or skill required for the job.

Fire

First Grade
Last time I was at the movie film cinemas was to see Wall Street Two. Was f**king shit.

hrundi99

First Grade
The problem with films that are "different" is that they are going to appeal to a much smaller audience.

But why should the have to? Why can't people open their minds and give them a chance? Why don't people want to see films that challenge them and don't force them to turn their brains (such as they are) off when they walk into the cinema?

Hollywood films are in the business of making money, that's pretty much it. The filmmakers themselves want to tell a story and entertain, but the bottom line always wins.

The Avengers is now probably going to be the most successful film of all time and it is a very well made action/superhero film. It's success is based on more than just having some stars and a bunch of explosions.

It is a quality film based on the type of film it is. It wouldn't have been as successful if they quality and, dare I say it, the artistry wasn't there. Will it win a Best Picture Oscar? No it won't as it's not that type of film.

Long story short, you can make quality films in any genere you like, even those that are typically made with big budgets (and with big revenue plans).

When you get films that are different it leaves itself open to personal taste a lot more than the mainstream Hollywood films which are designed to follow the same story pattern/character arc etc to give them the broadest audience possible.

That's true.

So I wouldn't say it's a case of people not willing to give movies that are different a chance, but the opinions about those movies will be more varied and more extreme in the positive and negative than with mainstream movies.

I disagree. People make the decision that it's not the type of film they want to see as they allow themselves to be dictated to by the mainstream studios.

It's basic human nature really - fear of the unknown, unwillingness to be challenged, etc. Hell, maybe some people just aren't intelligent enough to understand some of these films and the subtexts they're presenting.

For all the people saying this film or that film is crap, I'd be interested to hear the reasons why.

Springs

First Grade
The only reason people rave about Gran Torino is because the racist is funny, & Eastwood is great as always. As gUt said, it's cliched. And the supporting actors were C-grade.

That's your opinion, other people like the story and don't mind the acting. Don't say 'the only reason' because you wouldn't know.

Aragorn

First Grade
I'm provoking debate... did you think she was cute or not? and when i say cute, i dont mean in an 18 yr old way....

Springs

First Grade
No but that's the whole point of the film. The family is a bunch of losers. Anyone that's had or known a child that wasn't a beauty queen or if they were bullied or whatever can connect. They are a family and though things aren't going too well they still support each other and go to great lengths to do so.

simmo1

First Grade
Lois: I think you just got to be in the "out" group. Whoever's on top, whoever's in power, whoever's successful, you gotta be on the other side or you don't feel like the smartest guy in the room. All you are, my dear, is a contrarian.
Brian
: Oh, please, you could not be more off base.
Lois: Oh, yeah? Let me ask, what did you think of the movie Titanic?
Brian: Horrible, one of the worst movies ever made.
Lois: Mm-hm, what about Slumdog Millionaire?
Brian: Overrated, just a terrible movie.
Lois: Cocktail.
Brian: Actually, not a bad film. You know, as classically structured cinema, Cocktail was one of the best films of its era.
Lois
: You make me sick, Brian.

Sums up a lot of the derp in this thread really.

Aragorn

First Grade
No but that's the whole point of the film. The family is a bunch of losers. Anyone that's had or known a child that wasn't a beauty queen or if they were bullied or whatever can connect. They are a family and though things aren't going too well they still support each other and go to great lengths to do so.

right right, that explains why I cant connect with the film... its a film about losers for losers....

j/k i get your point.

Last edited:

Frederick

Staff member
The Avengers is now probably going to be the most successful film of all time and it is a very well made action/superhero film. It's success is based on more than just having some stars and a bunch of explosions
The avengers will probably finish in number three behind titanic and avatar. It's sitting at about 1.3 billion, still roughly 1 billion behind those two, with ticket sales slowing down.

perverse

Referee
i'm gonna break the rules of this thread slightly for the good of getting this out there. there were no awards for this movie... but the giant vagina alien at the end of starship troopers 3 was both the worst and best thing i've ever seen on film.

Aragorn

First Grade
if i remember correctly, lots of boobies in starship troopers 1... never got to watch 2 & 3...

Red Bear

Referee
Lois: I think you just got to be in the "out" group. Whoever's on top, whoever's in power, whoever's successful, you gotta be on the other side or you don't feel like the smartest guy in the room. All you are, my dear, is a contrarian.
Brian
: Oh, please, you could not be more off base.
Lois: Oh, yeah? Let me ask, what did you think of the movie Titanic?
Brian: Horrible, one of the worst movies ever made.
Lois: Mm-hm, what about Slumdog Millionaire?
Brian: Overrated, just a terrible movie.
Lois: Cocktail.
Brian: Actually, not a bad film. You know, as classically structured cinema, Cocktail was one of the best films of its era.
Lois
: You make me sick, Brian.

Sums up a lot of the derp in this thread really.
Family Guy is the worst of the lot

Latest posts