What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Daniel Anderson be our coach in 2011?

Should Daniel Anderson be our coach in 2011?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CrazyEel

Bench
Jono Wright, Tim Mannah, Justin Poore, last year Joel Reddy who we know know was playing injured. Robinson has played better in the last 2 years then he ever did elsewhere, unfortunately that is not good enough.
Not so sure about that, Mannah was always going to progress with 1st grade experience under any coach, IMO Poore was a much better performer under Bennett and Reddy was well below NRL average this year.

Wright hasn't shown any improvement in the last 2 years IMO and Robinson, well, quite frankly the fact he actually plays 1st grade is a reminder that DA didn't do his job properly in finding an alternative when he punted Finch.

cv8z

Juniors
Not so sure about that, Mannah was always going to progress with 1st grade experience under any coach, IMO Poore was a much better performer under Bennett and Reddy was well below NRL average this year.

Wright hasn't shown any improvement in the last 2 years IMO and Robinson, well, quite frankly the fact he actually plays 1st grade is a reminder that DA didn't do his job properly in finding an alternative when he punted Finch.

I'd throw in Tahu, MK, KK, Morts, Inu and poss Mateo as being sub standard

Beats me why he persisted with morts & MK till late in the season then make changes plus Inu and Mateo knowing they were leaving
How is that planning for the future?
Maybe Jono figured if he cant get a start with Inu on the outer and playing orodinary what chance was he next year?

Many puzzling decisions made by what most people think is the man for the job,, I've yet to see it this year

Gronk

Staff member
So when is this "review" happening ?

Did anyone notice at Storms 2010 awards that Steven Kearney was given life membership last week ?

Gazzamatta

Coach
Not throwing stones here. Just curious.

Who had the better win / loss percentage at Parramatta? Hagan or Mr Anderson?

Thanks

Not throwing stones here. Just curious.

Who had the better win / loss percentage at Parramatta? Hagan or Mr Anderson?

Thanks

That came up last week, Hagan by 1 game in his last season and a F/A of about 150 points+

However at the time he didn't want to recruit anyone and we didn't play at all well or with any pride, we were out of the Semis race from mid year. At least this year, we had a sniff at controlling our own destiny, and apart from the boot of Luke Burt against the Tigers or Knights, or the Knock on turn over by Tom Humble against the Knights or the Brian snaps from Timana Tahu against the Knights or the Tigers or a few other simple misses, Parramatta would have been a top 8 side, those two close things would have not only had us making the 8, but inside the 8 from Week 12 on wards. We might have been fodder for St George, but we still would have been there.

Noise

Coach
That came up last week, Hagan by 1 game in his last season and a F/A of about 150 points+

However at the time he didn't want to recruit anyone and we didn't play at all well or with any pride, we were out of the Semis race from mid year. At least this year, we had a sniff at controlling our own destiny, and apart from the boot of Luke Burt against the Tigers or Knights, or the Knock on turn over by Tom Humble against the Knights or the Brian snaps from Timana Tahu against the Knights or the Tigers or a few other simple misses, Parramatta would have been a top 8 side, those two close things would have not only had us making the 8, but inside the 8 from Week 12 on wards. We might have been fodder for St George, but we still would have been there.

Im not defending hagan (i thought he was useless) but you cant add in all those "what if" scenarios from this year. Im sure there were heaps of what ifs when hagan was coaching too. When it comes down to it all you can do is compare wins and losses , making the 8 and premeirships (which is none)

Eelvis

Juniors
So when is this "review" happening ?

Did anyone notice at Storms 2010 awards that Steven Kearney was given life membership last week ?

yeah i noticed that too gronk, but the same thing happened to tommy raudonikus when he was at wests and the next season he joined newtown

Gazzamatta

Coach
Thanks MITS. Thats very interesting. Who would have thought Hagan would have been in front of anyone.
Hagan being too soft didnt work.
Anderson being hard obviously hasnt worked in the short term.
That said it must be the culture inside the club that is holding back the team. If this is so then Mr Anderson has a pretty unique opportunity this coming season. He has unloaded players that havent performed for one reason or another. He has lost the team Captain who must share a responsiblity where team culture is concerned and he is bringing to the club a couple of bad boys who have to show something or it will further be to the detriment of how he is perceived as a coach.
Make or break year any way you look at it. Well so far as the board are concerned at any rate.
Its interesting how perseverence with a coach has showed benefits for the Warriors, the Raiders, the Tigers and the Panthers. To a lesser degree you could also throw the Titans into that mix.
Maybe it proves that coaches like Bennett and Smith are a very rare breed that can find success without having a long period to exert their influence. We all hope Mr Anderson proves to be similar to the first list mentioned.

Im not defending hagan (i thought he was useless) but you cant add in all those "what if" scenarios from this year. Im sure there were heaps of what ifs when hagan was coaching too. When it comes down to it all you can do is compare wins and losses , making the 8 and premeirships (which is none)

I remember the 2008 season quite well.

We Jagged a lucky come from behind win against the Dogs in week 1, we then backed that up with a lose to the Warriors where I was talking about those what if plays (I call them the 1%ers), we scraped home against Newcastle the week after, but from then on in were never really in the hunt.

We lost 4 straight games, and got a 1 point win over St George, another 2 losses then a Win against Canberra at home. We smacked the Tigers lost the Sharks in a Heart Breaker (Fui Penalty at the end against Noddy) then Beat the Storm without the Origin players (by 2). We lost 3 more before a home win against the Cowboys, Lost to the Knights, beat the Roosters to "keep the Dream alive" Smacked the Tigers again before backing up against the Bulldogs, However we rounded out the year with the Dragons putting us to the Sword and then a Piss poor performance against the Warriors at home with only 5100 people turning up to watch.

We were in the 8 for 3 weeks. and for the 3rd week (Round 16) we were there on For and against.

It was a hopeless season, but still yielded 10 and 14, like this year.

In 2008 the knives were out for the coach mid year. At least this year we we in the hunt but lost the close games.

I think this year, we were much better physically, but the mental attitude was not as hard as it could have been, we didn't work to a game plan and went for the ad lib football to early. Some players need to look long and hard in the mirror for that, however some of them are gone now.

cv8z

Juniors
I think someone posted on here we spent more time in the 8 under hagan, scored more under hagan but had better defence under DA

oldmancraigy

Coach
Defence is a sign that the players are listening to the coach and are trying for him.

Repeated poor attack is either a terrible attacking structure (aka Ricky Stuart) or just nobody to execute the coaches plan (aka Morts/ Robson)

cv8z

Juniors
Defence is a sign that the players are listening to the coach and are trying for him.

Repeated poor attack is either a terrible attacking structure (aka Ricky Stuart) or just nobody to execute the coaches plan (aka Morts/ Robson)
id go with the terrible attacking structure
if they werent executing the coaches plan then thats what wenty's for
didnt see too many dropped this year considering the sh*thouse year we've had

Bazal

Post Whore

Who do you replace them with? Wenty were rubbish this year, what good would dropping players for worse options do?

Thats the problem, has anyone at Wenty performed any better to put pressure on the guys that screw up? Apart from Jono Wright for Inu and Maybe Ant Mitchell for KK or MK, there is not alot down at Wenty at the moment.

Jono was also used for a number of games when Tahu was out so you are only talking about 2 or 3 games at the back end of the Sesion without him. Who else do you bring up?

Ant was blowing quite a bit after his stint against the Broncos but with a full off season again might finally have the fitness and stamina to be a regular top grader.

Tanialia Lasalo is a good prospect, but is still a little bit away from regular first grade.

Tom Humble is a Fullback who is being shaped into a 5/8th, and I would rather we do that at Wenty than in firsts. I would rather Morts Joined him down there as well, but the cupboard is bare otherwise.

I like the boys at Wenty, I think we have a couple of good players there, but none at the moment that are full time top 17 players. Maybe next year but we are losing a few as well.

Bazal

Post Whore
you need to get your facts checked. the panthers signed kingston for 55k with his contract registered at 110k because they had 110k left in their cap. we did not.

the nrl is not an anti-eels enforcement organisation. i think you need to suck it up and accept we were at fault.

You're wrong. I'd just accept it if I were you. We weren't in a position to sign Kingston to a deal at 110k, we had 55k space, the NRL refused to allow us to keep him for less. It's nobodies "fault", just the rules. Niether the club nor the NRL is to blame, even though the rule is stupid.

We also signed Robson AFTER we were told it was impossible to keep Kinga.