What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Luke Burt have been dropped ?

Should Luke Burt have been dropped?

• Total voters

MrT

Juniors
because what this team needs is more players who will "hit it up".

The team needs players to put their bodies on the line. Against the Broncos Burt came from the back in a planned move, when Burt saw the Broncos read the play, he backed off and almost made a voluntary tackle.

He's a smart player, there is no denying that, but he doesn't get involved in anything physical, runs sideways to avoid tackles and ducks into them.

Warriors are one the most physical teams and each player needs to man up.

Burt has plenty of time to make it back in the team. Although longer term it does seem like this could be his last year asa Eel.

Jacob Gagan would have been in the mix also had he not been injured.

barney gumble

Juniors
Kearney needs a proper coach to hold his hand and guide him. Like every other time he has tasted success.

Look at the dogs with Hasler in control. This is the sort of change the Eels need. Instead we get more excuses. "Building" anyone?

Agreed. Kearney has looked a coach out of his depth. Last year there were excuses, this year we have a world class backline and at least competent forwards. A finish out of the top 8 will be unexeptable.

Springs

First Grade
So we have a rookie backline who played awful last week and the first one to go is Luke Burt? The best of the lot of them and the most experienced?

Ok ok, I can take Burt being dropped even with two rookies who have shown nothing and Esi Tonga, one of the worst signings we have made, staying, but Lasalo isn't dropped after being in the starting side for over a year and playing very very average?

What the f**k

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Obviously a new direction by the coach who wouldn't drop anyone last year

Who was he going to replace them with? At one stage he didn't even have 17 blokes good enough for first grade and people criticised him for keeping some nuffy on the bench for 70 minutes.

after one game, Burt, Horo and Morgan gone. Horo and Morgan aren't living up to the promise they showed early in their careers.

Morgan is 21 years old. It still is 'early in his career'.

Horo is in his mid-20s and he's turned out to be exactly what he was two years ago - an above average attacker and a below average defender.

Surely Burt has earnt one poor game though?

You reckon this is his first?

there must be still a spot on the wing for Burt and he proved his character scoring 24 points for Wenty today. I guess Kearney will live and die by Monday's result.

Agree. If we lose tomorrow Kearney must go!

eels81236

Bench
Even if the better options are just wishes.

No planning is the way to go?

I put it to you that neither Burt nor Morgan were dropped. I suggest they would never have started the season in 1st grade had Hayne been fit and Willie been hard. I suggest they knew that. Theoretically starting the season a guy like Burt in second grade seems like a ballsy clean out decision to me. Whether it is the beginning, the middle or the end of the clean out remains to be seen.

Oh and if by wishes you mean expected performance then yes.

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
I see it as Burt being dropped so a weak coach can be seen to be making a decision.

bartman

Immortal
I put it to you that neither Burt nor Morgan were dropped. I suggest they would never have started the season in 1st grade had Hayne been fit and Willie been hard. I suggest they knew that.
I'd put it to you that Kearney's quote about Burt starting the year with the goalkicking (rather than Sandow) suggests that the decision to drop Burt to Wenty was made after the round 1 match...

bartman

Immortal
Obviously a new direction by the coach who wouldn't drop anyone last year, after one game, Burt, Horo and Morgan gone. Horo and Morgan aren't living up to the promise they showed early in their careers. Surely Burt has earnt one poor game though?, there must be still a spot on the wing for Burt and he proved his character scoring 24 points for Wenty today. I guess Kearney will live and die by Monday's result.
No, but his career (and potential contract extension) could live and die if end up 0 wins from 5 games despite the tinkering with the side...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I see it as Burt being dropped so a weak coach can be seen to be making a decision.

I thought he was weak starting the year with Burt in the side. I expected him to keep Burt there all year just to keep the fans and the senior players happy.

I'm glad he's finally made the call. You can think whatever you want; no decision he makes is going to be right for you anyway.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'd put it to you that Kearney's quote about Burt starting the year with the goalkicking (rather than Sandow) suggests that the decision to drop Burt to Wenty was made after the round 1 match...

Or the decision to play Burt in first grade was only made after he knew Hayne would be out.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No, but his career (and potential contract extension) could live and die if end up 0 wins from 5 games despite the tinkering with the side...

What if we end up 4 wins from 5 games? Is that too early to give him an extension?

Or is it just not-too-early to ruin his career?

TheParraboy

Staff member
Looks like a bit of a divide reaction to Burtys sacking this week

Nothing like a poll to see what fans thought

Simple yes or no

eels81236

Bench

He did start the year with kicking duties. Maybe he knew Hayne wouldn't be fit for round 1. Maybe he told the reporter whatever was going to prompt less questions. You don't decide to drop a guy like Burt on a whim one game into the season. He must have started the season as back up fullback. I'm only trying to think logically.

bartman

Immortal
Surely Burt was one of the best two wing choices in the squad leading up to R1? Chase Blair might prove a good prospect, and it was good he got his chance to debut (and looking at the silver lining here, his chance to string two top grade games together).

With backline injuries being unpredictable beasts, Chase Blair might well have got the chance later in the year (if Hayne was fit for R1) and even go on to get the nod over Burt as a first choice winger by season's end. Sio's the one with real potential, but I'd say Burt will be back in a FG wing spot (rather than filling in at fullback) shortly - especially after the reports of his performance today.

Latest posts