What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Mary's Contract Be Extended For another 3 Year Term?

Sould Mary's Contract Be Extended?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rob Dragon

Juniors
No matter what the results of the next 3 or 4 rounds, the deals have been done and our CEO has come out publicly stating he is going to recommend Mary's contract extension.

The excuse for poor performance has already been set in place. It would be all about the JDB situation.
Possm, I feel that I have missed something mate. You seem certain that an extension is forthcoming. I have not paid much attention to the McGregor saga over the last several weeks/months because I have been of the view that this would be the season it fell apart and that sense would prevail. If McGregor's contract is extended I am going to need urgent and immediate psychiatric attention!

In my opinion OKB is not going hard enough against Mary. Mary is a joke and should be sacked. Just one dimensional game plan that has failed over the past few years. Any reserve grade coach could have done better even without a 'long hard offseason'.

His plan to shuffle the spine with Dufty at fullback and Hunt at hooker did not do the job because:

Hunt is not a hooker.
Widdop is not fit and in my opinion playing injured.
Norman will not do well playing Mary's 'power game' as he needs room to weave his magic and is being asked to stand too shallow.
Our forwards did not have a plan to stop the Cowboys edge players. For every good tackle Host made, his opposite number ran big metres and dominated the game.
We really missed JDB and K Sims.
I thought Host did well to contain JT when he started on the edge in the first half.
The real problem arose when Green shifted the human tank to the middle and put on Asiata.
301 running metres later the score actually flattered us because they scored 5 tries to 2 but only kicked 2 from 5.
McGregor was unable to respond because he is tactically clueless.
The JDB saga is a ready made excuse if things go south this year.
Just listening to the press conference, he made several excuses and then capped it by saying "but that's no excuse".
Farcical

LINESPEED

Juniors
In my opinion OKB is not going hard enough against Mary. Mary is a joke and should be sacked. Just one dimensional game plan that has failed over the past few years. Any reserve grade coach could have done better even without a 'long hard offseason'.

His plan to shuffle the spine with Dufty at fullback and Hunt at hooker did not do the job because:

Hunt is not a hooker.
Widdop is not fit and in my opinion playing injured.
Norman will not do well playing Mary's 'power game' as he needs room to weave his magic and is being asked to stand too shallow.
Our forwards did not have a plan to stop the Cowboys edge players. For every good tackle Host made, his opposite number ran big metres and dominated the game.
We really missed JDB and K Sims.

Commentators last night said Dragons were lucky to make 40m per set
It’s an issue that rotating McInnes & Robson might fix??

We never seem to make great yardage up the middle?

getsmarty

Immortal
normanc-deject-190316700-sd.jpg

DRAGONS

McGregor urges patience with new-look spine
Author
Jason Wolfgram NRL.com reporter
Timestamp
Sun 17 Mar 2019, 12:28 AM

Dragons coach Paul McGregor knew it was going to take time for his key playmakers to gel so he wasn't about to panic after a first-up loss to the Cowboys in Townsville on Saturday.

Time is in short supply this week, however, as the Dragons face a five-day turnaround before their clash with the Rabbitohs at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium on Thursday night.

After struggling for fluency in attack in the 24-12 loss to the Cowboys, McGregor said patience was the key - along with plenty of hard work.

He said it would take a while to get the combinations right with former No.6 Gareth Widdop now at fullback and ex-Eel Corey Norman slotting in at five-eighth alongside Ben Hunt.

“Certainly when you've got a change to your spine and then we moved Tyson Frizell into the middle, it's going to take a little bit of time but that's not an excuse," McGregor said.

"If we go in at halftime with 50-50 possession, we're fresh in the second half. If we play a little bit smarter to start the second half, it’s a different game."

The attention now turns to Thursday night with players needing plenty of recovery after 80 minutes of toil on a hot and humid Townsville night.

“No game’s easy. It's certainly a task but nothing we can't manage - and look forward to,” McGregor said.

“It's all about recovery and getting some information about what we need to improve. But if we show that effort and desperation and we control possession, you’ll see a different football team on Thursday."

McGregor didn’t mince his words when sharing his thoughts on the loss to a Cowboys side also testing out a new spine in the post-Thurston era.

hunt-b-20190316-806.png

Dragons halfback Ben Hunt. :copyright:Scott Davis/NRL Photos
“I feel that there were parts of the game that we can be really proud of and parts we need to be better,” McGregor said.

“I thought we really started with purpose, to go in front 6-0.

“We turned over too much possession, compounded by a couple of seven- tackle kicks and one out on the full which put us under pressure. But to still lead with a couple of minutes to go before halftime I really thought the effort and desperation was there.

“However we really didn't play any football that we practised.

"The Cowboys handled the weather and the humidity better. We had some tired men because the amount of work."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/17/mcgregor-urges-patience-with-new-look-spine/

hazzbeen

Bench
I thought Host did well to contain JT when he started on the edge in the first half.
The real problem arose when Green shifted the human tank to the middle and put on Asiata.
301 running metres later the score actually flattered us because they scored 5 tries to 2 but only kicked 2 from 5.
Just listening to the press conference, he made several excuses and then capped it by saying "but that's no excuse".
Farcical
The guys a Muppet ..... no idea ....

getsmarty

Immortal
Farcical

100 % Correct Dennis....and yet the Board support him...at this stage looks like Frizell may be out against Souths...that means the ruck will get loose...It could get ugly....

possm

Coach
Possm, I feel that I have missed something mate. You seem certain that an extension is forthcoming. I have not paid much attention to the McGregor saga over the last several weeks/months because I have been of the view that this would be the season it fell apart and that sense would prevail. If McGregor's contract is extended I am going to need urgent and immediate psychiatric attention!

Johnston came out in a media interview advising that he would be recommending Mary's contract extension. This was about two or three weeks before seasons start.

Coffs dragon

Bench
You got to wonder how long Mick Crawley, our new Coaching Advisor, can or will last before all blame is dumped at his feet. Seriously this bloke would get more gratitude & reward working with the deaf.
At some point I'm sure he'll be flicked and enter Trent Barrett to join the gravy train along side Mary, Hornby, Young, Head etc. etc

hazzbeen

Bench
You got to wonder how long Mick Crawley, our new Coaching Advisor, can or will last before all blame is dumped at his feet. Seriously this bloke would get more gratitude & reward working with the deaf.
At some point I'm sure he'll be flicked and enter Trent Barrett to join the gravy train along side Mary, Hornby, Young, Head etc. etc
Its sickening nothing will change unless we get outside influence . In other words we are all F**KED

getsmarty

Immortal
Sterlo just stated on the footy Show that he doesn't think Widdop will remain at Fullback for the entire season... stated that he was better suited to 5/8 and that we are missing his short kicking game because Norman and hunt cannot produce as good as Widdop. Thaiday said that we look better when dufty comes on....

Over to you McGregor...I bet nothing changes because he is too stubborn.

BLM01

First Grade
Johnston came out in a media interview advising that he would be recommending Mary's contract extension. This was about two or three weeks before seasons start.
Yes and he also said that they have not begun talks about it..when the media said 2 months ago apparently talks were well on the way.
Dont believe everything you hear. If they had any brains.. this season will teach them about our coachs aptitude to adapt, change and improve all parts of our team.
They will not be rushing this..nor should they. No one is knocking his door down despite what his manager will leak out to have people believe.

getsmarty

Immortal
Yes and he also said that they have not begun talks about it..when the media said 2 months ago apparently talks were well on the way.
Dont believe everything you hear. If they had any brains.. this season will teach them about our coachs aptitude to adapt, change and improve all parts of our team.
They will not be rushing this..nor should they. No one is knocking his door down despite what his manager will leak out to have people believe.

They had apparently started talks...the sticking point allegedly being the club wanted to offer a 2 year extension and the coach wants 3...hopefully it comes back to bite him...

SEAT 1A

Bench
They had apparently started talks...the sticking point allegedly being the club wanted to offer a 2 year extension and the coach wants 3...hopefully it comes back to bite him...

This sums up Mary.

If your only talking about coaching results, two finals in his career thus, he is not in a position of power.

The club is offering two year, back yourself Mary, take the two years if he feels he is that good.

It reminds me of Mitch Rein, had a new contract and thought he could do better.

True_Believer

Juniors
This sums up Mary.

If your only talking about coaching results, two finals in his career thus, he is not in a position of power.

The club is offering two year, back yourself Mary, take the two years if he feels he is that good.

It reminds me of Mitch Rein, had a new contract and thought he could do better.

Speaking of Mitch, is he injured. He didn't play for the Titans on the weekend?

denis preston

First Grade

My positive spin on this bloke is the board are using him to assess the coaching staff's performance as well as whatever else he does.False hopes perhaps .