What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sign Dugan

TheRev

Coach
just to re-itterate that Dugen does not have a contract with the NRL.

The NRL would be justified in not allowing his re-registration with another club, since its a blueprint for making a mockery of the player contract system... but at the same time they would hate to lose young talent to other codes or overseas.

In other words by all means discuss him coming to the Dragons, but stop assuming he is available to drop into our squad next week, hes not! And we have several options in-house anyway.

Twenty10

Juniors

The NRL would be justified in not allowing his re-registration with another club, since its a blueprint for making a mockery of the player contract system... but at the same time they would hate to lose young talent to other codes or overseas.

In other words by all means discuss him coming to the Dragons, but stop assuming he is available to drop into our squad next week, hes not! And we have several options in-house anyway.

"We have several options in house"...

That's where you are very wrong my friend.

tumbidragon

First Grade
ST GEORGE Illawarra are poised to make a $600,000-a-season play to lure sacked Raiders fullback Josh Dugan as the Band-aid solution to their pop-gun attack. But in the ultimate insult, Dugan may reject the Red V offer in favour of greater stability at the Brisbane Broncos.
The Sunday Telegraph can reveal the Dragons are prepared to almost match the $650,000-a-season Dugan was on at the Raiders, with chief executive Peter Doust aware the club needs a big-name signing to add a point of difference to an otherwise predictable attack.
Even if the Dragons do land Dugan's signature, there's no guarantee he can fix the litany of problems their B-grade halves pairing, Nathan Fien and Jamie Soward, have tossed up in losses to Melbourne Storm and Brisbane over the opening two rounds.
Dragons CEO Doust said yesterday: "The Dragons are always interested in quality players but we won't be commenting on speculation. We don't believe that is in anyone's best interests."

Former Dragons skipper Mark Coyne said he felt coach Steve Price's pain but warned that signing Dugan was a gamble given the sacked Raider's head space.
"I probably wouldn't go there just at the moment, I'd be a bit nervous about that. He's obviously got some issues he needs to sort out," Coyne said. "I'm sure, like Todd Carney, he'll bounce back at some stage, but the Dragons probably don't have the luxury of time."
In Brett Morris, Jason Nightingale, Chase Stanley and Matt Cooper, the Dragons are well stocked in terms of damaging outside backs.
It's the same story in a forward pack consisting of Michael Weyman, Trent Merrin, Dan Hunt and Ben Creagh, who have more than held their own to start the year.
The problem is Fien and Soward have been nowhere near flicking the switch to ignite the Dragons attack, meaning Price's hand may be forced into opting for rookie playmaker Josh Drinkwater.
With Price watching on, the former Manly under-20s halfback lined up for the Illawarra Cutters in the NSW Cup game against Canterbury at Leichhardt Oval yesterday.
"I feel sorry for Pricey. He's had a lot of disruptions with all the (Craig) Bellamy talk and he's paying the price for the way the salary cap has hit since the club won the premiership in 2010," Coyne said.
"He is a young coach and he's still finding his way, but he's been hamstrung in a lot of ways because he probably hasn't got the playing roster that ideally he'd like to have."
Dugan is expected to make a decision between the Dragons, Broncos or an overseas club this week. The fact St George Illawarra are prepared to take a punt on a troubled fullback with a Gen-Y attitude says everything about the crossroads the club is at right now.
After this weeks display, I said we should definitely sign Jed. But at 600K?! f**k me that's a massive gamble... Would think 400-450K would of been closer to the mark, since he's such a injury prone/inconsistent player. Any other club would be able to hold him at ransom with his behavioral issues etc. But our impotent attack and pending disastrous season seems to be playing directly into him and his managers hands :(

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...y-for-josh-dugan/story-e6frexnr-1226598918374

Last edited:

Twenty10

Juniors
After this weeks display, I said we should definitely sign Jed. But at 600K?! f**k me that's a massive gamble... Would think 400-450K would of been closer to the mark, since he's such a injury prone/inconsistent player. Any other club would be able to hold him at ransom with his behavioral issues etc. But our impotent attack and pending disastrous season seems to be playing directly into him and his managers hands :(

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...y-for-josh-dugan/story-e6frexnr-1226598918374

Honestly who cares. We need something /someone to lift the club. We are in sure straits. A player like Dugan can lift those around him and create some much needed positivity and excitement. Sure he may not save us this year but he'll attract a better coach, more players and he should lift down of the blokes that are stale at the club.

tim moltzen made a mockery of the system long ago!

dragonv

Juniors
Interesting. I can only imagine he is being sought after to play 5/8 (Soward halfback). $600,000 is ridiculous for such an injury prone player but we are simply that desperate and have backed ourselves into a corner.

So the question is whether Dugan can really play in the halves.

Dea

Juniors
Desperate times = desperate measures. The seasons not gone yet, IF we do something different and we need some game breakers/ experience. Maybe he can give us some options at half, 5/8 plus centre and fullback?

dragon-83

Juniors
I personally think the club shouldn't sign Dugan it's too big a risk and cons outweigh the Pros. That only my personal opinion.

600,000 for a guy who has no respect for anyone yeah sound investment as people say once a dick head always a dick head.

Clause in contract if you even look like doing something stupid your sacked is what needs to be included and should be offered 300,000 max.

Dragons are desperate but it doesn't reek of desperation to sign this guy it reeks of stupidity and thts what the board are stupid.

Bad decisions since the start 0f 2011 and have continued.

Dragon_Taylor6

Juniors
600,000 for a guy who has no respect for anyone yeah sound investment as people say once a dick head always a dick head.

Clause in contract if you even look like doing something stupid your sacked is what needs to be included and should be offered 300,000 max.

Dragons are desperate but it doesn't reek of desperation to sign this guy it reeks of stupidity and thts what the board are stupid.

Bad decisions since the start 0f 2011 and have continued.

That will not be enough money to get him so shouldn't bother with an offer if only that much.

Mr Red

First Grade
i only hope that if we are actually thinking of spending 600k for a player that is injury prone it doesnt impact our ability to purchase a half back...
600k for Dugan would be a poor signing IMO.
i would look at him for 400k max.

Honestly who cares. We need something /someone to lift the club. We are in sure straits. A player like Dugan can lift those around him and create some much needed positivity and excitement. Sure he may not save us this year but he'll attract a better coach, more players and he should lift down of the blokes that are stale at the club.

What drugs are you on the only thing he lifts is a cruiser bottle and excitment he excited the Raiders fans when he got the sack he offers nothing except a wanker who shits on the game and on the fans.

TheRev

Coach

It seems absurd considering the situation, but if we actually want him we will need to pay, or someone else will. Agree though you need some 'no d***head' clauses in the contract.

"We have several options in house"...

That's where you are very wrong my friend.

I know what you mean about there being no ready made superstar, but I feel that we should be able to fill the #1, #6 & #7 positions with a mix of Beale, Soward, King, K.Stanley, Cummins, Quinley & Drinkwater. None of them are putting their hand up just atm, but we need to pick one and get on with developing them instead of the club basically sticking its head in the sand like it has done since Bennett announced it was leaving.

64 Dragon

Coach
Look out for the Dogs going after Dugan. Steve Turner has just retired, so they may have a bit of money, although not having any money hasn't stopped them before.

RedVDave

First Grade
If we sign Dugan then Beale gets moved to centre one would safely assume, that's good in that in strengthens out centre position. But he spent the whole off-season training there, so how many problems with this actually solve? If Saint really do have $600,000 to splurge on, why not buy a halfback instead? You know things are bad when you think Hodgkinson might actually be a good signing.

TheRev

Coach
thats the problem though, we missed out on Cronk or JT, so who else would be available? Young up and comers seem the go to me, but a lot of them are mystarey packages on whether they would actually make it in 1st grade.

Cagey Mac

Bench
So Soward to 1/2
Beale to 5/8
And Dugan to fullback seems to be under consideration according to rumour.
Negotiation with Dugan will be revisiting prior discussions
Seems likely!
Juggling chain saws Mr Price but perhaps it's the only game in town

Lethal25

Juniors
Occurs to me that having money to spend under the cap points to other issues. Why have we not spent what other clubs have when fully entitled to do so???

Maybe it's the management set up...Price, Young, Doust. I'm seeing comment that we have money because we missed out on Cronk, all eggs in one basket is poor management.

Anyone else got thought as to why it would be ok having money left? Don't want to hear that we were waiting for other clubs to squeeze out players like Dugan, not really a solid plan.

Latest posts