What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sign Dugan

Mr Red

First Grade
Look out for the Dogs going after Dugan. Steve Turner has just retired, so they may have a bit of money, although not having any money hasn't stopped them before.

they have NO interest in Dugan. they already have a fullback called Ben Barba so why pay heaps of money for a downgrade?

They are after Israel Folau - negotiations already underway.

which leads me to my point - if the dragons are prepared to offered Dugan 600k a season then surely Folau should be the target?
he is after all a right centre which we need ASAP.

SilentAssassin

Juniors
If we sign Dugan then Beale gets moved to centre one would safely assume, that's good in that in strengthens out centre position. But he spent the whole off-season training there, so how many problems with this actually solve? If Saint really do have $600,000 to splurge on, why not buy a halfback instead? You know things are bad when you think Hodgkinson might actually be a good signing.

It's all well and good to say we should spend the 600k on a halfback but who's on the market that's worth 600k?

Thurston,Cronk,Reynolds,Pearce (not that I'd give him that), Cherry-Evans are all off the market.

Carney is about the only one I can think of but he's a 5/8 and I can't see him leaving the Sharks.

Those bagging out Dugan should be careful as they may be cheering for him in a few weeks.

I'm not fussed about us signing him in his current state of mind. He doesn't fit the mould the Dragons normally look for in a player, and would need to pull his head in massively.

But we were chasing him last season from memory so maybe if he does end up here it's karma. His dad is reportedly a huge Dragons fan, and as a player he's young enough to turn all this around and become a star.

Would hate to see us let him go to the Broncos or Dogs, knowing that if we'd taken a punt it would have worked out well for us.

Apparently we are in the hunt for young Keary from the Rabbits as a halfback, he has huge raps and would come at the right price. Dugan and Keary would be a good start to rebuilding.

TheRev

Coach
Those bagging out Dugan should be careful as they may be cheering for him in a few weeks.

Oh dont worry, if we signed him we would give him our full support... its always different "pre-signing when we feel we have some say in where our cap budget goes!".

It looks very likely we will sign him, we have the most money to spend and were d-e-s-p-e-r-a-t-e. Im guessing we probably have 1mil out of our cap if we can afford these players.

Elias1983

Coach
I don't know how reliable Matt johns is but he was saying this morning it's pretty much a done deal and that it's up to the NRl now to recognise the contract.

Also apparently we are after a young halfback from the bunnies Luke Keary?

Anyone heard of this Keary?

MattYg1

Bench
just as a quick one anybody ever seen Beale or Dugan play five eight?

im all for moving Soward to the 7 and getting a creative and or just overall dangerous 6 on the field also at least it plays to Sowards strengths but does Dugan or Beale at the 6 play to their strengths or is this a lateral move at best?

God-King Dean

Immortal
Something tells me Folau is already signed a sealed to go elsewhere. No one who is fully committed toa club/code signs for only one year.

BennyV

Referee
just as a quick one anybody ever seen Beale or Dugan play five eight?

im all for moving Soward to the 7 and getting a creative and or just overall dangerous 6 on the field also at least it plays to Sowards strengths but does Dugan or Beale at the 6 play to their strengths or is this a lateral move at best?

Week in/Week out, no. Dugan had a couple of digs at 5/8 last year, can't remember how he went. BUT that doesn't mean it won't be successful - there are plenty of players who have changed positions and flourished, and they both have a set of skills useful to a 5/8. Dugan is a good ball runner, strong, dangerous, requires attention from defence and therefore creates for his outside men. Beale has good ball skills, can pass well and is very deceptive. Which skills are more suited to a 5/8 and a fullback is up for debate and depends also on frontline defense, but having both of them roaming the field and injecting themselves in attack can only be a good thing...

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
Week in/Week out, no. Dugan had a couple of digs at 5/8 last year, can't remember how he went. BUT that doesn't mean it won't be successful - there are plenty of players who have changed positions and flourished, and they both have a set of skills useful to a 5/8. Dugan is a good ball runner, strong, dangerous, requires attention from defence and therefore creates for his outside men. Beale has good ball skills, can pass well and is very deceptive. Which skills are more suited to a 5/8 and a fullback is up for debate and depends also on frontline defense, but having both of them roaming the field and injecting themselves in attack can only be a good thing...
I want to have drink but dont want to count my chickens before they are hatched so to speak.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Good thoughtful post. Would be a very nice headache to have in where to fit both Beale and Dugan ;)

CarssDragon

Juniors
moving Soward to the 7 and getting a creative and or just overall dangerous 6 on the field also at least it plays to Sowards strengths but does Dugan or Beale at the 6 play to their strengths or is this a lateral move at best?

Really hope Price goes for a halves pairing like this soon. Not necessarily reliant on a signing like Dugan either, as King could play a similar role.

st.phil

Bench
Moving Dugan to Centre to keep Beale at fullback is complete madness. Beale is a handy player but he does not have the power or the speed to be a rep quality fullback. If he signs and we pay the cash talked about (600k) for a centre is madness - fullback or five eighth. This would confirm Price as a bonafide dunce should he make that decision

Johnny-b-Goode

Juniors
I just had word, not saying it is certain, and I want to know if anyone knows more... I heard Dugan will sign Thursday but won't play this weekend, but I also heard hodgkinson will also sign this week with us... I am not a big fan of this half, but at least he is a half and may fill a gap??

Latest posts