What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sign Inu, T.Smith & Mateo for Life

Utey

Coach
I don't think the Lowrie signing will in any way get behind resigning Mateo. We will certainly re-sign a few players, I just hope they make the right decisions in who these choose to re-sign.

El Diablo

Post Whore
you'd think we'd have just as much cash under the cap as most of the other clubs, and even more than quite a few of the rest

the baffling thing is it seems that some of the other clubs who are reportedly trying to sign players are the rest

Parra should just give up on juniors and developing players. it seems it's the clubs who just do nothing in this area that end up being successful as they spend their money on buying the best juniors around

Avenger

Immortal
Despite the interest from other clubs I cannot see Mateo leaving. mateo appears to be a loyal young man. We nurtured him when his junior career was at a crossroads.

If we are to compete with other offers then we must bite the bullet and tell players like Daniel Wagon (who I would retain if possible) that this is his last year at Parra.

Or better still we should just not resign Cannings and the Greek Pillow and give the surplus to players like Mateo, Keating and Green.

strider

Post Whore
i would be very dissappointed if we lost mateo now - if he leaves it better be for MASSIVELY more $$$s than we can afford

if PJ marsh decides to leave would that free up much cash?

Avenger

Immortal
When I think about it Mateo would be on about $80,000 per year. I. Hindmarsh would be on about $130,000, and he has indicated that he is leaving. Thats $210,000. Surely thats enough for a talent rookie like Feleti ?

strider

Post Whore
yeah in all honesty i struggle to comprehend why we are supposedly sailing so close to the salary cap .... I know we have resigned guys - Hayne would obviously have been given alot more, I assume Hindy would have taken on more $$$s, caylo resigning I'm not sure he was doing ok already i thought .... but if we are taking salaries like Tahu, Ian Hindy and possibly PJ Marsh off the books that has got to be opening up some money.

every time a name leaves teh bloody sea eagles or roosters etc, they are always able to then run out and put that towards another name player - why aren't we in the same position?

tbh I think it often boils down to what is in it for the player OUTSIDE of the salary cap .... there is no way the salary cap auditors can account for everything a well connected club can offer their players on the quiet

JOB 3:14

Juniors
jayman said:
nah thats crazy talk.. u want your best players on the field.. tahu is one of our best players though he is injury prone...

inu still has a lot to learn.. basic fundamentals of the game.. but a ton of talent...

a fit and firing tahu is wat you want heading into the back end of the season and onto the finals series...

I agree. Inu is a top prospect and should be made a priority to keep at the club. But Tahu, on his day, right here right now, is the best back that we have got. Let's not let resentment of him (because he is leaving the club) cloud our judgement of his true talent. Inu cannot compete (yet) with Tahu defensively.

JOB 3:14

Juniors
strider said:
yeah in all honesty i struggle to comprehend why we are supposedly sailing so close to the salary cap .... I know we have resigned guys - Hayne would obviously have been given alot more, I assume Hindy would have taken on more $$$s, caylo resigning I'm not sure he was doing ok already i thought .... but if we are taking salaries like Tahu, Ian Hindy and possibly PJ Marsh off the books that has got to be opening up some money.

every time a name leaves teh bloody sea eagles or roosters etc, they are always able to then run out and put that towards another name player - why aren't we in the same position?

tbh I think it often boils down to what is in it for the player OUTSIDE of the salary cap .... there is no way the salary cap auditors can account for everything a well connected club can offer their players on the quiet

Ian Hindy is only on minimum wage.

strider

Post Whore
JOB 3:14 said:
Ian Hindy is only on minimum wage.
i realise that - but what's minimum wage for a player of his experience? - even at least $50K would be useful to go towards retaining players

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Lets just hope we don't resign Blake Green. I mentioned it a while ago and i have doubts as to whether he should be resigned at the possibility of loosing Mateo, smith, keating etc. Blake doesn't have an eighth of the talent these boys have. He didn't play that great in premier league yesterday.

Now, to say we're close to the salary cap is absolute bullsh*t! Widders, Morrison, Vella, Mckinnon, Morris etc were probably on reasonably good money, that doesn't offset the signings of Lowrie, tahu's departure, PJ's possibly and Finch. Also lets not forget that Cannings deal is was significantly downgraded and JT is in his last year on a 4 year contract, and when he did resign with us he was playing well.

If we're that close to the cap then i'm assuming Hayne was signed to a f**king huge deal along with Cayless, i'm sorry there is no way we can be close when you add up losses versus gains and possible departures, otherwise it 's very poor management.

There should be know reason why we can't table offers of $200,000 to Feleti and Smith.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Any more than 200k is a lot for someone with 10 first grade games experience. But the guy is a must re-signing IMO. What sort of coin is PJ on??? i can take losing him if it means Re-signing INU,Mateo,Smith and the Keatings.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
hineyrulz said:
Any more than 200k is a lot for someone with 10 first grade games experience. But the guy is a must re-signing IMO. What sort of coin is PJ on??? i can take losing him if it means Re-signing INU,Mateo,Smith and the Keatings.

Exactly!!! 200k in a progressive contract should be sufficent, PJ can go imo, he's probably mid to high 100's?

strider

Post Whore
i'm not asking is it an appropriate amount - rather does it compare to other offers?

COACH STERLING

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
A progressive contract starting at $200,000 should be reasonable i'd expect in a three year deal.

I think we need flexible in our way of thought. Talents like Inu and Mateo only come once in a generation, and if a club is trying to poach them we must get the cheque book out and go for it.