What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sign Inu, T.Smith & Mateo for Life

Ron Jeremy

Coach
COACH STERLING said:
I think we need flexible in our way of thought. Talents like Inu and Mateo only come once in a generation, and if a club is trying to poach them we must get the cheque book out and go for it.

Blind freddy can see that these blokes are the next crop of superstars, this is where clubs ability to identify talent comes into the eqaution.

Their is no excuses.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
Blind freddy can see that these blokes are the next crop of superstars, this is where clubs ability to identify talent comes into the eqaution.

Their is no excuses.
Thats the problem mate, we can see it. But can the club???

MrT

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
Lets just hope we don't resign Blake Green. I mentioned it a while ago and i have doubts as to whether he should be resigned at the possibility of loosing Mateo, smith, keating etc. Blake doesn't have an eighth of the talent these boys have. He didn't play that great in premier league yesterday.

Now, to say we're close to the salary cap is absolute bullsh*t! Widders, Morrison, Vella, Mckinnon, Morris etc were probably on reasonably good money, that doesn't offset the signings of Lowrie, tahu's departure, PJ's possibly and Finch. Also lets not forget that Cannings deal is was significantly downgraded and JT is in his last year on a 4 year contract, and when he did resign with us he was playing well.

If we're that close to the cap then i'm assuming Hayne was signed to a f**king huge deal along with Cayless, i'm sorry there is no way we can be close when you add up losses versus gains and possible departures, otherwise it 's very poor management.

There should be know reason why we can't table offers of $200,000 to Feleti and Smith.

I'm with you Ron

I've said it time and Time again. If we were at the cap 2years ago, well after losing so many quality players and not replacing them all, we should have enough money for our promising players.

sooperdooper

First Grade
as i have stated in another thread mateo is hot property at the moment my source thinks around 7 or so clubs...
i have also been told mateo wants to be at parra and is enjoying his footy and likes hagan...
however money does talk

Ron Jeremy

Coach
sooperdooper said:
as i have stated in another thread mateo is hot property at the moment my source thinks around 7 or so clubs...
i have also been told mateo wants to be at parra and is enjoying his footy and likes hagan...
however money does talk

I've been crying out for this guy to play firsts since 2004, yet the club only realises this year he has potential and it could be too late. Unf**king believable!!!

MrT

Juniors
TheRam said:
BTW, I heard from a reliable source that a Roosters official was at the Parra game yesterday, got in the ear of Fa'aoso & Mateo a bit. Thought people might want to know.

WOW, that happened right infront of me, I posted earlier. Fao'oso was sitting next to me and whispering to a guy behind us, that bloke got on the phone to soemone. He even gave Mateo a friendly tap on the shoulder who was sitting with the rest of the players watching PL.

If I knew that was a Roosters scavenger I would have taken him out myself.

So Roosters are trying to poach Mateo, no surprise there

COACH STERLING

Juniors
sooperdooper said:
however money does talk

If a club like Manly or Cronulla offer Mateo 270K is it reasonable to offer him more?

Thats what we are faced with. Personally I would sacrifice an old head like Wags if need be and match any offer, but is the club and Hages prepared to go all out.

Same applies for Inu. I think they'd both be worth similar money.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Please dont let it go to waste Hagan and Fitzy........pleeeeaaaase!!

El Diablo

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
I've been crying out for this guy to play firsts since 2004, yet the club only realises this year he has potential and it could be too late. Unf**king believable!!!

Brian Smith

MrT

Juniors
who Roosters, not a chance. It was reported that Minichello up until last year was on 180k....PLEASE SPARE ME!!!!

Myles 330k
O'Meley 350+
Wing 300k
Anasta 300k
Monaghan 220k
Roberts 250k
Fitzgibbon???
Harrison 220k
Topou 200+
Flannery 200+
Minchello 300k at least

and they have money to poach players, yeah heard how they tried a plot to get SBW,

Ron Jeremy

Coach
And we can't afford to keep Feleti & Smith, either they have the best accountants in the world or we just have the worst.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
And we can't afford to keep Feleti & Smith, either they have the best accountants in the world or we just have the worst.
:lol: could be a little of column A and a little bit of column B.

Guys I think u are over reacting, I am not sure if any of u guys heard the interview on talking sport this afternoon (around 2pm) with M. Hagan, they asked him about Mateo and he said that they are well into contract talks and may be as early as next week that all will be finalised. I am pretty sure as you guys see him a priorty signing the parramatta officials feel the same way. If he wants to be an Eel he will be. They did also mention another person who signed for 2 years, cant remember if it was T Smith or Inu.

Eelementary

Post Whore
parraitdoesmatta said:
Guys I think u are over reacting, I am not sure if any of u guys heard the interview on talking sport this afternoon (around 2pm) with M. Hagan, they asked him about Mateo and he said that they are well into contract talks and may be as early as next week that all will be finalised. I am pretty sure as you guys see him a priorty signing the parramatta officials feel the same way. If he wants to be an Eel he will be. They did also mention another person who signed for 2 years, cant remember if it was T Smith or Inu.

Bingo! What, you reckon that Hagan, though giving Mateo and Inu a go in First Grade, doesn't actually see their talent?

I am positive that the club will do everything in their power re-sign these blokes.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:

It's all about juggling the figures.

For example, If a player is on 600K over 2 seasons, you can easily pay him 450K in the 1st year knowing you will need to upgrade others players contracts the following year. Parra may have done this with Hindy and Caylo this year knowing they would only have to pay a smaller fee in 2008.

Sacrificing the intial year to benefit in the following years. I know the Brisbane Lions used this method when they were stringing together some success.

The reverse can also be applied. For example: Paying Feleti 750K over 3 years.

1st year: 150K
2nd year: 275K
3rd year: 325K

The only problem is in the 3rd year having to release a player to fit his contract into the salary cap.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Eelementary said:
I am positive that the club will do everything in their power re-sign these blokes.

I'm off the same opinion but it still won't satisfy anyone...having the money to retain them is one thing, but having the money to match other offers is a completely different situation.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
eelavation said:
I'm off the same opinion but it still won't satisfy anyone...having the money to retain them is one thing, but having the money to match other offers is a completely different situation.

I dont think it's mathematically possible to keep all our players either.

It could be a good thing releasing PJ.

Eelementary

Post Whore
eelavation said:

We'll just have to wait and see. If they really want to stay, they'll stay - I'm sure we'll do everything in our power to make sure of it.

And if they do stay and continue to get better, I am certain that, down the track, a payrise will be coming anyway.

But at this stage, it's a show fo faith to management and the players. Not much more we can do.

cardinal

Juniors
eelavation said:

The thing is you do not always have to match the offers, time and time again players will stay at a club for less money. It may be they want to stay with their mates (who they have come through the juniors with) it may be they are very happy with their current coach, or they feel some loyalty and emotional attachment to the club. If someone was offered $100000 more in the workplace they would usally be out the door, but history shows in NRL and AFL players will regualy knock back more money to stay put. With the young group of outstanding players all coming through together I don't think we will see to many leaving. Premierships are still what the players want to win and these guys know if they stick together they are going to be succesfull.

Eelementary

Post Whore
cardinal said:
The thing is you do not always have to match the offers, time and time again players will stay at a club for less money. It may be they want to stay with their mates (who they have come through the juniors with) it may be they are very happy with their current coach, or they feel some loyalty and emotional attachment to the club. If someone was offered $100000 more in the workplace they would usally be out the door, but history shows in NRL and AFL players will regualy knock back more money to stay put. With the young group of outstanding players all coming through together I don't think we will see to many leaving. Premierships are still what the players want to win and these guys know if they stick together they are going to be succesfull.

Good point.

And think about it - Mateo and Inu will eventually be getting a nice annual sum. Does it make such a difference to wait a year or two before they start raking it in, in order to stay a club they love and with teammates they've come to be very close to?

I know we'll end up losing some players - it's inevitable.

However, if we keep the brightest stars and let go of some others, I won't be too unhappy.