What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings/Losses

Talanexor

Juniors
Not sure how to feel about Glen Hall. Did we sign him as a starter or as depth? Statistically, he looks pretty darn average. I really hope he doesn't turn into another Kaufusi.

elyod138

Bench
The reason everyone hated Kaufusi was because his performance and his pay check were out of balance.

Glenn Hall is probably getting payed a fifth of what Kaufusi was on.

Didgi

I think Hall will start a starter and finish a benchie as our young guys hopefully take over. As Elyod said, I'm happy we've got him if he's being paid a lot less than Kaufusi, which he would be. You can't really rely on SL stats.

Charlie124

First Grade
yeah im much the same, we needed another experienced prop and now we've got one. He'll probably start the season as a starter but end up coming off the bench if/when one of the younger blokes steps up and makes the spot his own.

Im sure he was cheap and if some of his experience and Scotts work ethic can rub off on the younger blokes over the next couple of years then im more than happy with that.

dibviking

Juniors
glen hall started 7 times for bradford this yr but ended up in the reserves as he was gash, may go well though back in oz

Didgi

North Queensland have pulled out of the race to sign unwanted Sydney Roosters captain Braith Anasta.

The disgruntled Roosters star is believed to have been shopped around to interested NRL clubs as the Roosters attempt to keep their grand final roster together while building the club around young halves Todd Carney and Mitchell Pearce.

Parramatta have reportedly already knocked back an offer for Anasta, who has one year to run on his contract, to join the Eels for 2011.

In September last year Cowboys skipper Johnathan Thurston begged the club to "throw the cheque book at (Anasta)" in a bid to reunite the former Bulldogs teammates.

But it appears Thurston's request has fallen on deaf ears, with Cowboys football manager Peter Parr said the club had no intentions of re-opening negotiations.

"We were interested in having a chat with him at the time, but the Roosters were clear that they weren't prepared to let him out the last year of his contract and that's where it finished," Parr told AAP.

"We haven't had any further discussions since back then.

"You always look for ways to improve and you do that by adding quality players, but our information is that the Roosters weren't prepared to let him leave his contract early.

"I don't know whether that has changed or not since then."

Regardless of Anasta's availability, Parr said the Townsville-based team were not in a position to put an offer to the former Australian and NSW representative after going on a significant spending spree that has netted Brent Tate, Dallas Johnson, Ashton Sims and Glenn Hall.

"We are a little bit tighter under the cap than we were (in September), and we've had no correspondence from his manager, the Roosters or anything like that ... we just haven't discussed it any further," Parr added.

"We are absolutely happy with the group that we've put together."

Furious Roosters fans have started a petition that will be sent to tricolours chief executive Steve Noyce in a bid to keep Anasta at the foundation club.

Depending on exactly how much space we've got I'm disappointed we're not going after him. Yes, we've already got a good lock in Johnson, but if we had Tupou in the centres as someone who can play second row anyway, no reason we cant take in effectively 2 locks, or move DJ to second row. He'd help the development of the young halves and guys I see as ball playing backrowers enormously.

Talanexor

Juniors
I was against signing Anasta because he would in all likelihood be playing at five-eighth. Which is bad for 2 reasons - I don't really rate him in the halves, and it would stifle the development of Thompson and Morgan.

I'd totally support signing him as a backrower/second-string half. I think he has a very complete game with few weaknesses. He's got decent passing and kicking skills, can put a man through a hole, has a strong running game and is solid defensively. I also think the on field leadership he brings to the side are very attractive.

But he's earning 450K a year at the Roosters. Way, way too much. If he was willing to play for maybe 200K and play primarily in the second row then I'd definitely say yes.

Charlie124

First Grade
There lies the issue though, Braith Anasta will not sign a 200k contract, so theres no point in discussing it. Id love to sign Cam Smith, Billy Slater and Brett Morris too but only if they dont get injured and play for 100k a season for 5 years.

Talanexor

Juniors
Sure, but Braith seems to think he's worth the 450K a year he's currently on. He's not. Especially playing in the backrow - that sort of money only goes to elite playmakers. Cronk is apparently on 250K a year and Slater is on 375K.

I would happily sign Cam Smith on 450K a year BECAUSE HE WOULD BE WORTH IT. But Anasta? No way.

Talanexor

Juniors
Good. He's been a bit of a passenger this year, and a ball-hog of epic proportions. Besides, Winters was doing quite well there until he got injured.

Guess our chances of hanging onto Ulugia and MPW just got a lot better.

Charlie124

First Grade
Interesting, i must say i havent seen much of this guy but if it means we've got a bit more depth in the outside backs that keeps Bani even further from first grade then im ok with this.

doggie_4_life

Juniors
linnett is a good centre, but he will be alot better now that he has signed with a decent club, he was being held back at the rooters, im predicting he will have a deadly combination with Thurston, congrats on the signing

Talanexor

Juniors
Linnett's a quality player, and he's only young, so there's plenty of improvement left in him. Good signing. It'll be interesting to see who our of Graham, Tate, Winterstein, KFFL and Linnett misses out.

Talanexor

Juniors
Leeson is a young prop with a fair bit of potential. He played in the second row last year and did alright. He's been moved to the front row this year, and hasn't really kicked on. Still, he's only 21 and it takes time for front rowers to mature.

I'm not that fussed about losing him tbh.

Latest posts