What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloan

TheRev

First Grade
Of course I hope I'm wrong too.. without Ramsey or the ability to recruit... Sloan's success = our success.. but lines like "just wait a few years", that's the same discussion we had 3 years ago.

But the purpose of my post is to highlight this 'lethal attack' is not a given (depite the hype).. hes not Papenhuyzen or Ponga or Walsh or Hammer or etc etc.. hes not even Kennedy or Talagi or Bula or etc etc.. he has a certain skillset and he has pace.. and he is learning.... and Flanno's job is to come up with a gameplan to work to his strengths, like he does with Ben Hunt and really all of his player... but particularly the spine players.

since77

Juniors
Of course I hope I'm wrong too.. without Ramsey or the ability to recruit... Sloan's success = our success.. but lines like "just wait a few years", that's the same discussion we had 3 years ago.

But the purpose of my post is to highlight this 'lethal attack' is not a given (depite the hype).. hes not Papenhuyzen or Ponga or Walsh or Hammer or etc etc.. hes not even Kennedy or Talagi or Bula or etc etc.. he has a certain skillset and he has pace.. and he is learning.... and Flanno's job is to come up with a gameplan to work to his strengths, like he does with Ben Hunt and really all of his player... but particularly the spine players.
There's a critical factor people tend to overlook when pointing out Sloan's faults. And yeah he has faults.
He went straight from kid's football to NRL because of COVID. No lower grade football was played in that time - the time when Sloan would have been learning his craft. He's literally been learning on the job - and until 2024 - under shite coaching.
All the other players you've referenced were eased into first grade after learning their craft in lower grades against men. Walsh, now a superstar was borderline terrible in his first NRL experience at the Warriors.
I'm not trying to make excuses for Sloan but trying to explain why in his particular case, patience is important. He's a few years in development behind the players you've mentioned. Flanno wouldn't have re-signed Sloan out of sentimentality. He sees something is in there. Now he has 2 years to unlock it. We've seen what he did with Lomax. Lomax has taken 5 or seasons to finally bloom.

Victoire

Juniors
This is easily your worst continual take Rev, I rate your contributions here but your Sloan bashing is getting petty now. I’d really like to revisit this thread in a few years time, I reckon you’ll be eating your words.

For me the most impressive thing I see in Sloans game is his desire to become better, the one percenters he’s competing on, the talking he does in the huddle, that’s someone who is maturing in front of our eyes. He knows he’s not a finished product but is willing to put in the effort to become better, that’s a common trait of all champions.

Besides being an absolute sook of a human, Duftys biggest problem was his lack of desire in those areas. I saw absolutely no maturation during his stint with us, and whether you put it down to bad coaching or a lack of maturity he never looked like he wanted to listen to what his coaches were telling him. He somehow always knew better, and it was infuriating to watch. To me Sloan has listened to everything Flano has asked of him, and is responding with more improvement in half a season then the duffman did in 3.
Top post Mr Spritzer. Nailed it

FlickFlano

Juniors

Of those named, i think Walsh is the only one with more try invovlements this year than Sloan. For a team still finding its form Sloan is doing his bit in attack for us.

There are other fullbacks i would prefer 100%, but his trajectory is very much on the rise now. He is at least a competent 1st grader now.

Lennyb

Juniors
This is easily your worst continual take Rev, I rate your contributions here but your Sloan bashing is getting petty now. I’d really like to revisit this thread in a few years time, I reckon you’ll be eating your words.

For me the most impressive thing I see in Sloans game is his desire to become better, the one percenters he’s competing on, the talking he does in the huddle, that’s someone who is maturing in front of our eyes. He knows he’s not a finished product but is willing to put in the effort to become better, that’s a common trait of all champions.

Besides being an absolute sook of a human, Duftys biggest problem was his lack of desire in those areas. I saw absolutely no maturation during his stint with us, and whether you put it down to bad coaching or a lack of maturity he never looked like he wanted to listen to what his coaches were telling him. He somehow always knew better, and it was infuriating to watch. To me Sloan has listened to everything Flano has asked of him, and is responding with more improvement in half a season then the duffman did in 3.
He hates contact.

If he was a huge talent, Flanno would have locked him up for longer.

2 year contract was max and also keeps the Soian fan base happy.

His offer was on the table for months and the confirmation came as Matt was getting his shot for firsts again. Coincidence maybe, maybe not.

VodkaSaint

Juniors

very well said mate

Victoire

Juniors
He hates contact.
Rubbish. A lot of of his defence this year proves this is bogus.

His body is light and tall. He's smart enough and well coached enough to know he's not built to be a battering ram. If he tried that he'd be carried back 10 metres every time which would hurt the team. It seems nuts, to me, to ask him to do that.

He's a major attacking threat for us and it's not just in running through and scoring tries, but in attracting or beating defenders and making space for other backs, which he does on a weekly basis now.

since77

Juniors
He hates contact.

If he was a huge talent, Flanno would have locked him up for longer.

2 year contract was max and also keeps the Soian fan base happy.

His offer was on the table for months and the confirmation came as Matt was getting his shot for firsts again. Coincidence maybe, maybe not.
So Flanno resigns Sloan to keep the Sloan fan base happy?
I guess Sua isn't a huge talent either because he only got a 2 year contract?

Congrats, thats' going into my top 5 dumbest things I've ever read on this forum.

justadragon

Bench
There's a critical factor people tend to overlook when pointing out Sloan's faults. And yeah he has faults.
He went straight from kid's football to NRL because of COVID. No lower grade football was played in that time - the time when Sloan would have been learning his craft. He's literally been learning on the job - and until 2024 - under shite coaching.
All the other players you've referenced were eased into first grade after learning their craft in lower grades against men. Walsh, now a superstar was borderline terrible in his first NRL experience at the Warriors.
I'm not trying to make excuses for Sloan but trying to explain why in his particular case, patience is important. He's a few years in development behind the players you've mentioned. Flanno wouldn't have re-signed Sloan out of sentimentality. He sees something is in there. Now he has 2 years to unlock it. We've seen what he did with Lomax. Lomax has taken 5 or seasons to finally bloom.
Plus also unlike the others , Sloan came into a struggling side expected to be the messiah, if he would have come into a Penrith or Melb side it would have been seamless, without the added pressure.

Lennyb

Juniors
Rubbish. A lot of of his defence this year proves this is bogus.

His body is light and tall. He's smart enough and well coached enough to know he's not built to be a battering ram. If he tried that he'd be carried back 10 metres every time which would hurt the team. It seems nuts, to me, to ask him to do that.

He's a major attacking threat for us and it's not just in running through and scoring tries, but in attracting or beating defenders and making space for other backs, which he does on a weekly basis now.
Penrith winger brought the ball back with gusto, got smashed.

Not long after. Sloan avoided contact on the kick and the young riff winger scores.

That kid, doesnt mind contact.

Just like Sloan to show some mongrel.50 games in for godsake.

Lennyb

Juniors
So Flanno resigns Sloan to keep the Sloan fan base happy?
I guess Sua isn't a huge talent either because he only got a 2 year contract?

Congrats, thats' going into my top 5 dumbest things I've ever read on this forum.
Sloan fan base was a jab at the sloan fan base on here.

Knew I would get a few takers, haha.

If he doesnt toughen up there is no way he will be resigned(he isnt on that much).

Sua has come good for this year. If he can maintain, he may get 2 more. But thats a fair way off.

Lennyb

Juniors
Yep we need a fullback on the books (rly we need 2), until we can actually sign players reliably.. its a very delicate juggling act of retaining what we have without any long contracts.
We have had two. Both been hit with big injuries.

Sloan has had a dream run and I say good on him.

All he needs to do is get angry, fire up, get some mongrel, etc.

He has the talent, but without the above.

Maybe at 100 games.

Latest posts