What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smash Hunt !

Status
Not open for further replies.
DACSSDOWN said:
So has Willy Mason, (who was born in Auckland.) What is your point. He also was considering playing for the Kiwis in 2001, but decided on the Aussies. I don't see anyone bagging him on here.

yes they have, and mason still travels on his nz passport.

Thomas

First Grade
So f**king what...they were born in Australia and therefore are Australians.

My mother is Scottish, but that doesn't make me a bloody sweatie, now does it.

Thomas said:
Where were the Cayless brothers born? (kiwi parents living abroad)

Where was Jake Webster born? (look above)

Where was Frank Pritchard born? (look above)

Where was Webb born??

All born in Australia which means they are ALL AUSSIES.......ffs you guys whinge about Hunt when 5 of your team where not even born in the Shaky Isles.

Hunt came to Australia when he was 10...he is an Australian citizen therefore he is elligible to play for Australia, end of story.

sh*t my cousin is an papua new guinean and my nephew is scot. since they was born in those countries, even though their parents are both kiwis.

Thomas said:

hunt wasn't born in aussie neither was his parents or their parents or their parents.

while pritchard, cayless and webster have 100% kiwi blood in them.

Scott

Bench
Mr Saab said:
Australians are very funny lot. We accept overseas sports stars as our own, like Kostya and Vic Darchinian, yet we cant accept Hunt.
When an overseas star gets caught with performance enhacing drugs we rubbish them...when an australian is caught with the same thing we blame :
Mothers.
3 yr old headache tablets
Drink spiking
Didnt know it was on the banned list.

Bunch of bloody hypocrites.

I have no problem with Hunt choosing Australia as the nation he wants to play for. My problem is that it should have been Inglis or Bowen.

That is one of the most intelligent thing i've ever read. Ever.

Ozbash, get a grip. Hunt has been consistent, saying he wants to play for Qld and therefore is eligible for Australia. Sure, I hope we smash him too, but some of the stuff on here is ridiculous.

Garts

Bench
DACSSDOWN said:
So has Willy Mason, (who was born in Auckland.) What is your point. He also was considering playing for the Kiwis in 2001, but decided on the Aussies. I don't see anyone bagging him on here.
I don't agree with the selection of Hunt, but I don't think you can bag one player in particular for doing the same thing as other players before him.

and I did not agree with that either but we are not talking about that now are we.

I dont agree with Hunt playing as it is better for the international game if played for NZ, he has spent more time in NZ that in Aus, he is full blood NZ and he is not the form the fullback at this point in time.

I didnt agree with Thorn playing for us or Tony Carroll either.

Iafeta

Referee
kickback said:
http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/story/0,20797,18994749-5003409,00.html

AN angry New Zealand has lit the fuse for Friday's trans-Tasman Test by vowing to punish Australian fullback Karmichael Hunt for turning his back on the country of his birth.

The Kiwis gathered on the Gold Coast yesterday as news of Auckland-born Hunt's elevation to the Australian squad filtered through the camp.

Hunt, who moved to Australia from New Zealand when he was 10, earlier this year considered making himself available for the Kiwis after his chances of representing Queensland in State of Origin appeared slim.

The Kiwis tried to be diplomatic when told of Hunt's selection in place of injured fullback Anthony Minichiello, but several players were privately seething at his perceived lack of loyalty.

It was too much for young Kiwi stars Jake Webster and Frank Pritchard – both Australian-born – who said Hunt would finish the Test wishing he had never made it on to the field.

Melbourne Storm winger Webster claimed Hunt would "pay the consequences" for his swinging allegiances.

"It doesn't look good for him and I think he's going to find that out," he said.

"He's going to get it. You can't do what he has done and expect to get off lightly.

"We will definitely be out to make him pay. He'll get his share of treatment.

"It's pretty ordinary, really. A lot of the boys will be out to touch him up. I know I will be."

Pritchard, the Penrith Panthers second-rower, claimed Hunt had proved he only cared about himself by failing to commit himself to one country or the other.

He said there was no place in the New Zealand squad for players who were unsure where their loyalties rested.

Several Kiwi representatives have made their choices. Fullback Brent Webb was born in Cairns, Webster in Melbourne, while Pritchard and the Cayless brothers, Jason and Nathan, were born in Sydney.
"It's his decision. Come Friday, just bring it on," Pritchard said.

"All the boys, out of respect for the black and white jersey, are going to show him what he has turned his back on."

Hunt said he was expecting a backlash from the Kiwis as he prepares to become one of Australia's youngest debutants.

"I'm expecting it quite a bit, even the dirty stuff," he said yesterday after he was rushed into the Australian camp following Minichiello's withdrawal because of a lower back complaint.

At 19 years and 169 days, Hunt will be the youngest Australian fullback in 95 years and the fifth youngest national team debutant.

Wests Tigers five-eighth Benji Marshall said he had accepted Hunt's decision but was far from happy.

He said he had previously tried to convince Hunt to play for NZ in the belief the Kiwis could dominate the international game with him in the team.

"I'm a little bit disappointed to be honest, but that's life," Marshall said.

"I've always expressed that I wanted him to play for New Zealand."

Marshall can also expect to be targeted, with Australian players yesterday admitting they would test the condition of the young star's suspect shoulder.

Well all you kiwi heros on here giving it to Hunt for playing for OZ why dont you have a closer look at your own team.

Bowen is very unlucky but Hunt is in great form and his combinations with Locky will crave the Kiwi's up!!!!!!!!!

Good on you Hunt for keeping to your guns, Hope you Play a blindder!!!

Whats their parentage?

Cayless: New Zealand family, through and through. Work with close relatives to his, passionate New Zealanders.

Pritchard: New Zealand family.

Webster: New Zealand father, always wanted to play for Kiwis.

Webb: Shouldn't be playing for the Kiwis.

If I had children, being born in Australia, it'd be their choice. But much like the above, growing in a heavily influenced New Zealand family I'd imagine they'd choose New Zealand.

Iafeta

Referee
Thomas said:

What a load of horsesh!t.

Seriously. Hittler was born in Austria, but led Germany for instance.

It does not come down to birth-location. It comes down to your heritage, your roots, what would happen if your mother passed through New Zealand for a day, dropped you out on your head - are you a New Zealander?

F*ck no, and we wouldn't have you either.

Location is one thing, heritage and family roots is another thing. Pretty clearcut really.

shiznit

Coach
this is my opinion on the whole thing. from what ive read in the papers and things Karmichel Hunt's family moved from NZ when he was 14 and has lived in Australia for 4-5 years. i dont know if i was in the same position i would be able to do that, but thats his choice and now he will need to live with the consequences of his choice. they maybe good, they maybe bad.

what will piss me off is if he decides to get a Tamoko(maori body tatoo) next week. the way i feel is that your whatever is in your roots. i have cousins who were born in australia have australian passports but there parents are maori so they are Kiwi's through and through.

on Brent Webb i dont think he should be playing for the kiwis thats for sure. i would rather pick a young kid straight out of Bartercard Cup than have Webb who has no ties at all with NZ. but hey.... im not bluey so its not upto an armchair selector like me to pick the side.

Thomas

First Grade
Iafeta said:
What a load of horsesh!t.

Seriously. Hittler was born in Austria, but led Germany for instance.

It does not come down to birth-location. It comes down to your heritage, your roots, what would happen if your mother passed through New Zealand for a day, dropped you out on your head - are you a New Zealander?

F*ck no, and we wouldn't have you either.

Location is one thing, heritage and family roots is another thing. Pretty clearcut really.

Ahhh okay....gotcha.

I'll throw out my allegiance to Australia (y'know, coz I was born here) and start following Scotland in everything...because my Mum has Scottish heritage.

My thoughts: You are born in a country....you represent that country unless you are a citizen of another country.

You Kiwis are wanting to have your cake and eat it too. On your team are people who were born in Australia, live in Australia but are representing NZ.

In the Aussie team there is a player who was born in NZ but now lives and works in Australia and is representing Australia.

Can't you see the irony in your posts?????? :?

JJ

Immortal
shiznit said:
this is my opinion on the whole thing. from what ive read in the papers and things Karmichel Hunt's family moved from NZ when he was 14 and has lived in Australia for 4-5 years. i dont know if i was in the same position i would be able to do that, but thats his choice and now he will need to live with the consequences of his choice. they maybe good, they maybe bad.

what will piss me off is if he decides to get a Tamoko(maori body tatoo) next week. the way i feel is that your whatever is in your roots. i have cousins who were born in australia have australian passports but there parents are maori so they are Kiwi's through and through.

on Brent Webb i dont think he should be playing for the kiwis thats for sure. i would rather pick a young kid straight out of Bartercard Cup than have Webb who has no ties at all with NZ. but hey.... im not bluey so its not upto an armchair selector like me to pick the side.

I thought Hunt moved over at 10 or 11

it was Benji and SBW that went over a bit later

miccle

Bench
Hunt moved here aged 9 IIRC.

Nothing more to say here that hasn't already been said. Five "kiwis" born here and they kick up such a pansy little stink about "smashing" someone just because he is an Australian citizen. I hope Hunt plays an absolute blinder, and I can't wait until the mighty Roos demolish the Kiwis this Friday night. I was going to say it will send all NZ folk on here a message, but it looks like ozbash has already disappeared :)

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Murphdogg1 said:
I think if he was a genuine nice guy people wouldnt care.....

I've actually met and spoke with the guy a few times and can tell you he is one of the nicest footballers you'll ever come across. He is a very approachable, level headed young man always willing to have a chat with friends, fans or strangers. To call him arrogant is a downright lie.

Hindyscrack said:
The bloke is a terrible last line of defence
Often gets stood up (by players with little speed)
Has very poor positional play
Fairly slow for a back

Have you been watching the same player as I? I've lost count of the number of try saving tackles he's made this year for the Broncos. Look back at any of his games this season and I guarantee you will see this.

If he considers himself an Australian and wishes to represent his country then so be it. I for one will be cheering him on.

and BTW

SBW shoulder charges Hunt------------>Hunt and SBW both go down----------->Hunt shrugs it off like he always has-------------->SBW staggers away favouring his shoulder.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
I really don't know what all you Kiwis are complaining about. Reckon anyone cheering for the Australian team has more reason to feel aggrieved. We could have had Bowen. We're getting Hunt instead. And whilst he's a good fullback, and he's done a lot for Brisbane, he's not the best we have to offer. That title (at least in Minichello's absence) belongs to Matt Bowen. He has played brilliantly for the Cowboys this year. He played brilliantly for them last year, and for Queensland in State of Origin. He is better in his position than Hunt, and consequently he should be playing instead of Hunt. He has earned the spot. Hunt quite simply hasn't.

Which is why I don't get all the complaints I'm hearing coming from New Zealand. Instead of the greater player, you're facing the lesser one. Moreover, he's going to give your boys something extra to play for, and something more to drive them. His placement in the Australian team is one of the best things you could hope for.

kay

Juniors
douglasallen91 said:
while pritchard, cayless and webster have 100% kiwi blood in them.

one of webster's parents is greek.
and whats this talk about karmichael only living here for 4 to 5 years. its in an inside sport magazine where it has hans and tera relocate to brisbane when hunt was 11. they interviewed hunt and his parents. so mclennan now being bitter that hunt thinks hes an aussie after only 4-5 years and a third of his life in australia is mistakened.

hutch

First Grade
for the record, i dont think hunt should have been picked on form, there are better fullbacks.
BUT.....

he has every right to choose to play for australia. hunts family moved here when he was young, he did not come here on a footy scholarship, they came here for a better life. when he moved to australia, he started playing rugby league. he was good, moved through the aussie junior system, and now has been picked for australia. he will live in australia for the rest of his life.

who the hell are we to tell him who he has to play for? unless you are aboriginal, you or your ancerstors made the trek to australia at sometime and have become australian, hunt did it later than others. if he considers himself aussie, then good on him.

people say hunt, petero, mason shouldnt play for australia. what do they consider an australian?

if you break down the nz team, yes 5 of them were born and grew up in australia, they came through the aussie junior system. nathan cayless captained the australian schoolboys for gods sake. they all chose to represent nz, that is their choice, i dont hear anyone whinging about that.

in summary, typical kiwi whinging. thousands of nz's are moving over here every year, this issue will probably come up again. we are giving you players from our junior system and we have never "stolen" a junior from your junior leagues (or any other countries for that matter).

get over it!

shiznit

Coach
im a typical kiwi and ive got no problem with hunt playing for aussie. i just dont understand how he can stomach playing against NZ and facing up against the Haka.

I think its hard for most kiwis to understand how Hunt can go against his own people. it isnt as much of an issue for aussies as they have next to no culture or identity(i know its a cheap shot but its the week leading upto a ANZAC test so we gotta have a dig when we can) so they think that you belong to where you born. its not as simple as that for country's with herritage.

i assume that he will be part of a iwi and hapu which means more to most Maori people than if your born in NZ or from Australia. if im not mistaken Hunt is Maori. correct me if im wrong.

also about when he moved over... i just took it from what i read in the papers.

hutch

First Grade
shiznit said:
im a typical kiwi and ive got no problem with hunt playing for aussie. i just dont understand how he can stomach playing against NZ and facing up against the Haka.

I think its hard for most kiwis to understand how Hunt can go against his own people. it isnt as much of an issue for aussies as they have next to no culture or identity(i know its a cheap shot but its the week leading upto a ANZAC test so we gotta have a dig when we can) so they think that you belong to where you born. its not as simple as that for country's with herritage.

i assume that he will be part of a iwi and hapu which means more to most Maori people than if your born in NZ or from Australia. if im not mistaken Hunt is Maori. correct me if im wrong.

also about when he moved over... i just took it from what i read in the papers.

hmm heritage hey. well in that case ruben wiki, sonny bill, faalogo, tame tupou, vagana, faimu and pritchard better not play for new zealand as they are of samoan heritage. and louis anderson better wait until the tongan tour of england and france at the end of the year, because hey, that is his heritage.

mate, dont get me wrong, heritage is important, but your heritage does not decide which country you are from. i was under the impression the hunt was of samoan and cook islander heritage, but as we all know now, he is an aussie.

NPK

Bench
hutch said:
hmm heritage hey. well in that case ruben wiki, sonny bill, faalogo, tame tupou, vagana, faimu and pritchard better not play for new zealand as they are of samoan heritage. and louis anderson better wait until the tongan tour of england and france at the end of the year, because hey, that is his heritage.

mate, dont get me wrong, heritage is important, but your heritage does not decide which country you are from. i was under the impression the hunt was of samoan and cook islander heritage, but as we all know now, he is an aussie.
Good post. It's not Australia vs. New Zealand. It's Australia vs. all the Pacific Island countries, including NZ and Samoa.

Status
Not open for further replies.