What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smith court action looms

nqboy

First Grade
DT
By Josh Massoud | June 07, 2008 12:00am

CANBERRA and Penrith are headed for court after lock forward Nathan Smith last night ignored the Raiders' legal threats to formally re-sign with the Panthers for a further three years. As revealed in The Daily Telegraph, Canberra's lawyers had warned Smith and Penrith they would sue for breach of contract if the 25-year-old reneged on his deal to head to the ACT next season.

Smith and the Raiders agreed to a three-year contract on 29 April, but the NRL's new transfer rules allowed Penrith to lodge a final bid to retain his services before the end of this round. Unable to find a replacement back rower, Penrith exploited that option late yesterday.

During a meeting with Panthers coach Matt Elliott, CEO Mick Leary and the club's lawyers, Smith was assured he would not be liable for damages if he backed-out of the Canberra deal. It is understood the Panthers even provided him with an indemnity against any court action before he agreed to put pen to paper.

Having recently purchased a house at the foot of the mountains, Smith and his girlfriend had settled into Sydney's west and never wanted to leave. But when Canberra weighed in with a offer $50,000-a-year greater than Penrith's, the big money proved too much to refuse.

After witnessing teammate Luke Lewis successfully wriggle out his deal with Souths to remain at Penrith last week, Smith started to have second thoughts. He approached Leary late last week and the Panthers indicated they would match Canberra's offer. "I just have to do what's best for me and my family,'' Smith told The Saturday Daily Telegraph. "Staying in Penrith is what's best for us.''

Livid Raiders officials beg to differ. Upon learning Smith had re-signed with Penrith, Canberra chairman John McIntyre said he was "even more confident'' they could now successfully sue for breach of contract. "It only strengthens our case because we've now got physical evidence of a breach of contract,'' he said. "Our advice is that a contract is a contract - no matter what the NRL rules say. I wish Penrith good luck.''

McIntyre slammed Penrith for sneaking Smith back into its roster, and lamented "the death of a contract'' in rugby league. "For all of my talking and walking life my passion has been for this game,'' he continued. "But I don't know any other sport that allows this type of thing to happen.''

Raiders lawyers fired a letter to Smith's agent Sam Ayoub last weekend, giving the player until Tuesday night to sign his deal with Canberra. In failing to inform them of his intention to stay a Panther, Canberra allege Smith has acted "unconscionably''. They are also confident damages should result from the fact Canberra stopped looking for back rowers under the belief they had Smith secured.

The NRL last night said Smith and Penrith had complied with its rules. For Canberra to enjoy a wholesale right over Smith's services, Penrith had to notify NRL salary cap auditor it had rescinded its option to re-sign the player. But the Panthers did not, and their lawyers believe that will ensure a successful defence should the matter end up in court.

NRL boss David Gallop was in Brisbane yesterday, but will speak with Penrith and Canberra officials over the weekend. Smith is also a member of the Rugby League Players' Association, whose president Matthew Rodwell is also understood to be part of the negotiations.

Ayoub said his client had been placed in an unfair dilemma. "As much as I'm not happy with the situation there are rules in place that allow people to renege on contracts and that's an issue the NRL need to take a long, hard look at.''

Raider_69

Post Whore
i dont know the laws of it, contract law as i understand it has many grey areas, but im not fussed about losing smith, however if the club can get some sort of finacial compensation for the reneg then that'd be tops

smeghead

Bench
Clubs fighting over Nathan Smith???

Jesus titty****ing crisht what has the world come to.

This is a guy who Ryan O'Hara has a pic of on his Facebook on all fours with a blindfold in his underwear. And that is the most memorable thing he will ever do

smeghead

Bench
l_650f61221c85d2b9af47f05ad4ee7825.jpg

Matrix

Juniors
Clubs fighting over Nathan Smith???

Jesus titty****ing crisht what has the world come to.

This is a guy who Ryan O'Hara has a pic of on his Facebook on all fours with a blindfold in his underwear. And that is the most memorable thing he will ever do
Perhaps penrith will claim he was blindfolded on all fours when he signed the contract with canberra.

Scorpio30

Bench
"Raiders lawyers fired a letter to Smith's agent Sam Ayoub last weekend, giving the player until Tuesday night to sign his deal with Canberra"
So he hadnt signed?

Perth Red

Post Whore
"Raiders lawyers fired a letter to Smith's agent Sam Ayoub last weekend, giving the player until Tuesday night to sign his deal with Canberra"
So he hadnt signed?

Doesn't matter, if they can prove a verbal agreement was made it is as good as a signed one. This could see the NRL ruling blown out the water, and a good thing too.

skeepe

Immortal
I hope for three outcomes from any legal action that the Raiders may (and should) launch.

1 - Nathan Smith is found to have breached his original contract, but is permitted to remain with Penrith
2 - The NRL rules governing this aspect of contracts is found to be illegal and throw out
3 - The Raiders receive substantial remuneration from the morally bankrupt scum Panthers.

Joe Davola

Juniors
DT
By Josh Massoud | June 07, 2008 12:00am

It is understood the Panthers even provided him with an indemnity against any court action before he agreed to put pen to paper.

I hope Ian Schubert has taken note of this Indemnity.

If the Raiders sue Nathan Smith and win and Smith is liable for a payout that is then paid for by the Panthers under this indemnity, then surely that is a financial benefit to Smith from the Panthers that should be included in the Panthers' salary cap.

Loudstrat

Coach
Apparently the problem is that players can sign contracts at any time, but the NRL won't register them until (I think) June 30. Which is friggin stupid because a player can sign with 10 clubs and the one that registers him first gets him.

Funny how all these players who wanted out of Penriff suddenly are happy to stay. Either 1) Elliot has found the keys to Roycies old grog cabinet, or 2) The local Vinnies has donated the club a stack of ugh boots.

Wonder if Folau will end up at Brisbane?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Apparently the problem is that players can sign contracts at any time, but the NRL won't register them until (I think) June 30. Which is friggin stupid because a player can sign with 10 clubs and the one that registers him first gets him.

Just because the NRL don't recognise the contract doesn't mean it isn't a legally binding employment contract between the player and the club! Once again the NRL has stuffed up by not getting all clubs onside and signed up to this agreement.

Just because the NRL don't recognise the contract doesn't mean it isn't a legally binding employment contract between the player and the club! Once again the NRL has stuffed up by not getting all clubs onside and signed up to this agreement.

On the other hand, just because a contract has been signed that doesn't mean it's necessarily legally binding.

I'm not familiar with NRL contracts but there could be a term that means the contract is not binding until registered by the NRL.