What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smith v Hagan - who is Mr Popular?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I think both coaches are crap now, know way i want Smith back, but at the same time i want Hagan to go.

Hagan is a good coach for one year then turns toi sh*t.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Have faith, Ron. Black Sabbath releast an abysmal Never Say Die, got rid of their wandering alcoholic into rehab, and came up with Heaven and Hell, with Ronnie Dio winning the Clive Churchill Medal.

September, mate!

NthKnight

I think both coaches are crap now, know way i want Smith back, but at the same time i want Hagan to go.

Hagan is a good coach for one year then turns to sh*t.

Because he is master of using the fantastic player stocks and setups left behind by far better coaches..then destroying it all the next year with his "it'll be alright boys, lets have a beer" attitude. Just ask the Qld SOO team of a few years back.

keeney

First Grade
Smith Smith Smith Smith.

Honestly though, I feel sorry for Hages, there is clearly an attitude problem at Parra, which is partially his fault and partially not. Doesn't help that he's a fraud but it still sucks for such a nice guy.

Patorick

Staff member
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22218364-5001023,00.html

I knew Smith would be trouble: Newton
Article from:
By Dean Ritchie
August 10, 2007 12:00am

NEWCASTLE's number one fan, former golf champion Jack Newton, has long held fears the Knights' experiment with coach Brian Smith would "end in tears".
Although reluctant to discuss the coaching drama after his son Clint was forced to Melbourne, Jack questioned Smith's selections and philosophies.
"There's trouble here for sure," Newton told The Daily Telegraph.
"I thought it was always going to end up in tears.
"And nothing I've seen in recent times has made me change my mind."
Newton's fears started when Smith was given the job after four previous coaches had rejected the Knights coaching position.
"I don't think it's any secret that there were three or four on their hit list and they didn't get one of them," Newton said.
"Smith then got the gig.
"Personally I don't think he understands Newcastle.
"I thought he was smart enough to know this isn't Sydney.
"It is totally different to Sydney."
Newton remains confused over Smith's selection policies.
"I might have a limited knowledge of rugby league, but you need some senior players on the field," he said.
"I have been very disappointed in a couple of the team selections.
"Last week we needed to win to keep alive our chances of making the top eight and he rests Daniel Tolar, Adam Woolnough and Kirk Reynoldson.
"I don't understand that - maybe someone could explain it."
Newton is angry at how Clint was portrayed when he left the Knights.
"My son is not a quitter but that is how he has been painted up here," Newton said.
"He left because the coach didn't respect him.
"There needed to be some changes but having said that, there wasn't much wrong with the club.
"I'm not sure what is going on or what the answer is.
"He (Smith) has a history of doing this at all his previous clubs."
:crazy:

Patorick

Staff member
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22291264-5001023,00.html
0,,5622073,00.jpg
Heartfelt plea ... the letter angry Knights fan Sarah Matterson, 9, wrote to Newcastle management.

The face of the Knights crisis

Article from:

By Josh Massoud
August 23, 2007 12:00am

MEET Sarah Matterson, the little girl who captures the disillusionment of Newcastle - Australia's crumbling rugby league stronghold.
After watching Penrith flog her beloved Knights 46-12 on Sunday, the nine-year-old decided to speak up on behalf of Newcastle fans young and old.
With a purple texta, she penned a hand-written plea to club management for the sacking of coach Brian Smith.
"Why has he wreked (sic) our team?" Sarah wrote.
"I reckon you should SACK him because you need to start winning."
Her simple sentiments were widely echoed when The Daily Telegraph visited Newcastle yesterday to gauge the city's reaction to Smith's first year as Knights coach and the controversial non-selection of Kirk Reynoldson.
But Sarah does not live among the other pained supporters. Instead, she was compelled to speak up from Albion Park on the South Coast - almost 400km away from Energy Australia Stadium.
The Year Three pupil watched Sunday's thrashing on television and, without being prompted by her Knights-mad mother Fiona, put pen to paper immediately after the coverage ended.
Ms Matterson posted the letter yesterday and is expecting a response from Newcastle CEO Steve Burraston when he receives it this morning.
"Sarah said, 'Mummy I think I'm going to write a letter to tell them they should do something'," Ms Matterson told The Daily Telegraph.
"I said, 'Okay, if you think that will help then go right ahead and I'll post it for you'.
"She even went onto the Internet to get the Knights' postal address from their website."
Asked why she decided to write the letter Sarah said: "When the game finished I looked at the score.
"They were really high and we were really low.
"That's when I decided to write it."
Sarah said she could hardly bear to watch her team lurch to its seventh straight loss at the hands of the wooden-spoon favourites.
"It hurt my eyes," she added.
"We need to start winning a bit. I want to get people thinking they should sack Brian Smith.
"We need someone who is good at coaching - maybe like the Storm's coach."
Although she lives in the shadows of the state's other steel city - Wollongong - Sarah supports Newcastle because her mum is a Knights member.
Ms Matterson said it was "out of character" for her daughter to write letters.
"She's never done it before," Ms Matterson said.
"She will normally just blow up and then calm down. This time she felt strongly enough and hoped that by doing this she might be able to stop them losing."

Mr Saab

Referee
What an article that was...Josh Massoud at his "brilliant best".
Where is that little girl now? Any follow up Josh? I know you troll LU.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Glad to see the flow of morons coming out of Newcastle hasn't slowed down at all.

They think Smithy is the messiah, I read in their forum all the players that will improve under his coaching. Which I find funny because after he paid about $300k for Aaron Cannings, he went from one of the brightest foward prospects to a bum in a year.

And I'd like to know how you'd know how much the Eels paid for Lowrie? And why you think he will be our five-eighth? We just re-signed a very bright five-eighth prospect in Blake Green and are chasing Scott Hill so unless you think they'll be playing reserve grade then it's just more proof you Knights fans know jack sh*t.

Brian Smith: Choker, 20 years coaching and he's won jack sh*t!
Michael Hagan: Premiership in his first year, and his side is always well prepared for big games.

But don't let me (or the facts) stop you from hailing Smithy, the new messiah of Newcastle.

:crazy::lol:

hybrid_tiger

Coach
What an article that was...Josh Massoud at his "brilliant best".
Where is that little girl now? Any follow up Josh? I know you troll LU.

The criticism and constant hammering of Smith from geniuss like Massoud was beyond a joke.

Compare this to the free ride that someone like Tim Sheens gets.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Glad to see the flow of morons coming out of Newcastle hasn't slowed down at all.

They think Smithy is the messiah, I read in their forum all the players that will improve under his coaching. Which I find funny because after he paid about $300k for Aaron Cannings, he went from one of the brightest foward prospects to a bum in a year.

And I'd like to know how you'd know how much the Eels paid for Lowrie? And why you think he will be our five-eighth? We just re-signed a very bright five-eighth prospect in Blake Green and are chasing Scott Hill so unless you think they'll be playing reserve grade then it's just more proof you Knights fans know jack sh*t.

Michael Hagan: Premiership in his first year, and his side is always well prepared for big games.

But don't let me (or the facts) stop you from hailing Smithy, the new messiah of Newcastle.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

perverse

Referee

ahahaha this whole post is a gem. parramatta sure were prepared last night, the biggest game of their season, hahaha.

perverse

Referee
PDJ has been a Smith hater for a long time

I've found ignoring him is the best option
yeah, it's getting easier with time to do that.

for the record, the level headed group of parra supporters i have no problem with (hurri, baz, there are others). it's the bandwagoners that jumped on the smithy hate train last year who i'm inclined to enjoy watching suffer.

Loudstrat

Coach
Bump. Interesting to revisit this in the light of Smith's defection to the Chooks, and becoming the only Knights coach ever not to take 'em to the finals.

Knights fans, did he leave your mouths with the same sour taste he left at Parramatta?

Johns Magic

Referee
I'm happy with what Smith did at the club overall. Before he announced he was leaving we were sitting 5th or 6th and looking very good.

Once he took the Roosters job he should have been let go straight away, but the few weeks since have been the only real negative of his tenure.

Latest posts