What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smith v Hagan - who is Mr Popular?

Hanscholo

Bench
I'm happy with what Smith did at the club overall. Before he announced he was leaving we were sitting 5th or 6th and looking very good.

Once he took the Roosters job he should have been let go straight away, but the few weeks since have been the only real negative of his tenure.

No amount of revision will change those facts. Well said.

Hanscholo

Bench
I think the sour taste for me is left with the management that gave out a 1 year contract extension to Smith when it was clear the side was improving rapidly and going places. There has been a lot of dredging up of crap lately, Reynoldson, Newton etc. Neither can hold a candle to the guys that replaced them.

People that have a problem with Smith will call upon whatever they like to put down his efforts in Newcastle, but clearly he did enough to earn a 4 year deal for huge dollars at a rival club. The results of the club during his tenure, when taken in context of where the team was when he started are pretty good. They played an entertaining brand of footy, they have been hanging around the top 8/4 all year. The downsides have been our juniors, and the fact he signed mid season for another side which is regrettable, but how much of that was his fault. He was granted a release, permission to talk to other clubs, clearly they werent that impressed with the bloke, so why wouldnt he look elsewhere when the offer was there.

One thing is for sure, he has left the club a much better place than it was under Hagan.

voltron

Juniors
for me what bothered me about this whole saga was the way smith was commenting on the roosters already
he shouldve been professional and just said no comment, im at the knights now. you can ask me all those things later on
but his comments made it feel like he's head was already in next yr
which was really bad

but im glad with the clean out
those overpaid nuffies needed to go

Loudstrat

Coach
Well the Knights had the traditional "new coach blinder" tonight. I wonder if their season ends up derailing whether much can be lumped on Smith. As Voltron says, maybe his head is at Bondi already. Apparently he's been banging on Politis' door all year. Still, the Knights under him have done well this year.

But get back to basics. Do Knights fans prefer season 2009 over 2001? Eels fans sure prefer season 2007 over any season since 01.

Id hate for Newcastle's sake to realise that Smith was like John Lang at Cronulla - having his players play out of their skin each week, only to realise their mediocrity when the master coach left. I hope they kick on. Time will tell.

K-Man

Bench
I think the sour taste for me is left with the management that gave out a 1 year contract extension to Smith when it was clear the side was improving rapidly and going places. There has been a lot of dredging up of crap lately, Reynoldson, Newton etc. Neither can hold a candle to the guys that replaced them.

People that have a problem with Smith will call upon whatever they like to put down his efforts in Newcastle, but clearly he did enough to earn a 4 year deal for huge dollars at a rival club. The results of the club during his tenure, when taken in context of where the team was when he started are pretty good. They played an entertaining brand of footy, they have been hanging around the top 8/4 all year. The downsides have been our juniors, and the fact he signed mid season for another side which is regrettable, but how much of that was his fault. He was granted a release, permission to talk to other clubs, clearly they werent that impressed with the bloke, so why wouldnt he look elsewhere when the offer was there.

One thing is for sure, he has left the club a much better place than it was under Hagan.

I can't disagree with any of that.

Smith has his downsides no doubt, but only people with an axe to grind can't at least admit that he has plenty of positives as well.

The vast improvement of players such as Taia and Fa'aoso under his tutelage speak volumes in my opinion.

If not for the whole contract saga I think the Knights would be sitting reasonably comfortably in the top 6 right now.

macavity

Referee
Id hate for Newcastle's sake to realise that Smith was like John Lang at Cronulla - having his players play out of their skin each week, only to realise their mediocrity when the master coach left. I hope they kick on. Time will tell.

IMO Smith was the circuit breaker we needed to force some modern ideas into the place.

But he was never a good fit for Newcastle - and while we needed his techniques, he never really "got" our culture (as an aside, he has now found his perfect club).

I truly believe we have come out the other end much better for his tenure - and "new coach blinder" or not, I think Stone is the man to take us to the next level. He is a successful career coach, and just as importantly he "gets" Newcastle. I think he will be to us what Kevin Moore is to the dogs.

It will be very interesting to see how things play out.... but for the first time in a few months I'm feeling fairly positive about the future.

Bigfella

Coach
Although reluctant to discuss the coaching drama after his son Clint was forced to Melbourne, Jack questioned Smith's selections and philosophies.

Yes, what stands out most out of all this, is how reluctant jack was to get involved ...:sarcasm: