What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So Where's the Mongrel?

hardbaby

Coach
I've calmed down now and think I can be trusted to write a balanced post.
I wasn't pissed off that the boys lost.
It's how they lost.

Firstly the good:
1) We haven't lost since September - it had to happen eventually.
2) The Sharks were awesome - shows how tight the comp is that the wooden spoon favourite can play that well. They thoroughly deserved the win.
3) Trent Merrin and Beau Scott ripped in hard.
4) Jamie Soward seems to have fixed his defence.

Now the bad:
1) Once again our forwards proved that they have a very soft under belly. We were shown up last year (Manly, Souths, Canberra) but the team was just so good they were able to win anyway. I don't think they'll get away with it this year.
2) You are either tough or you aren't. It can't really be taught. I wonder what we do to fix this problem.
3) Was Creagh even playing? No wonder he gets over-looked for Origin. Great club player but goes missing when it gets tough.
4) Does Bennett coach them not to put the hit on? I just can't believe guys can cop that all game and not try to get square. I am not advocating high shots and penalties but for god's sack, if you get smashed, get even!

That's the worst we will play all year. If we played the Sharks tomorrow we would probably win by 30 points. But if you ever wanted a lesson in how to beat the Dragons, you just got it. Kick sand in their faces and watch them imitate Gandhi.

Southernsaint

Staff member
I'm very dissapointed, and cannot believe we lost to Cronulla.

We can't possibly win the comp now we've lost a game and should probably withdraw from the competition to save further pain and embarrassment.

Finally, congratulations to Cronulla - if we were going to lose to anyone, I am glad it was to a team with the pedigree and glittering history of the Sharks.

I'm very dissapointed, and cannot believe we lost to Cronulla.

We can't possibly win the comp now we've lost a game and should probably withdraw from the competition to save further pain and embarrassment.

Finally, congratulations to Cronulla - if we were going to lose to anyone, I am glad it was to a team with the pedigree and glittering history of the Sharks.

*snicker*

Godz Illa

Coach
"So, professor, would you say it's time for everyone to panic?"
"Yes I would, Kent."

People need perspective. We dropped a year's worth of ball, lost our best prop early, and you surely need to take into account the customary early-season fatigue after the UK trip. And Cronulla played great.

Or we can crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Godz speaks the truth. It's round 2 people, not round 22.

Same side next week, give the boys a chance to redeem themselves and I guarantee you we'll be looking angry against the Warriors come the weekend.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Or we can crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside.

homer.jpg

Godz speaks the truth. It's round 2 people, not round 22.

Same side next week, give the boys a chance to redeem themselves and I guarantee you we'll be looking angry against the Warriors come the weekend.

Warriors are coming off too close losses, should be a cracker

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Manly lost their first 4 games in 09. Melbourne lost 2 of their first 3 in 08.

So we're really ahead of the curve in that area too...

Good stats. Be patient guys, we just need Top 4 by Origin then we're well and truly in the game. I'm confident we can get there.

saint_girl

Juniors
Its only 1 loss and it's round 2. Our boys will be better for the loss and get there heads back into the right space.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Conditions were not good and the loss of Weyman hurt. The Dragons lost 5 from 7 last season without Weyman.

Looks like he may be out for a while to. The forwards need to step up the next few weeks. Merrin and Beau Scott were good last night and It was a game I think where Dean Young would of made a difference. Deano is perfect for them type of games.

It's early days. They will come good.

Bring back choc

Juniors
We need to win next week. Simple as that. Confidence can be taken away so quickly....even when it's so hard to get. Weyman out, Scott will probably be out. Makes the job harder. I will be looking for far more from Mark Gasnier out wide. He has been great in defence but looks to be not running with any conviction. Anyway, if dean is back i think wayne will run with the following:

Green
Fien
Hunt
Creagh
Young
Prior

Bench: Merrin, Greenfield, Bosden, Stanley. ( I would like to see Cuthbo in for Greenfield).

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
"so.. where's the mongrel?"

a phrase that still sends shudders throug the raiders...

saint06

Juniors
Dont think for a minute that the performance last night was acceptable. Both teams had to play in those conditions. The mongrel doesn't exist unless Scott delivers it. Merrin has some catching up to do, but he will get there. The others, forget it.

I'm confused as to why they repeatedly ran from the open side, behind the ruck tothe blind all niht. They went nowhere.

Jono1987

Juniors
Can't just replace guys like Smith, Costigan, Saffy and not have a leader like Young available and think we'd be the same side. People here are going off too early, give the boys a chance to show what they're made of instead of judging them by a game or two. Sheesh...It's not like the boys threw the towel in last night, they tried right down to the 80th minute to win that game.

13Dragons

Juniors
Absolutely agree with Jono.. we got owned all over the park last night, but only lost by 6. If I was the Sharks I would be more worried that they can be that dominant and only win by 6.
In Wayne we trust.

Latest posts