What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sonny Bill Williams

Murphdogg1

Juniors
Drew-Sta said:
underrate verb [T]
to fail to understand how skilful, important, etc. someone or something is.

And...

In modern Australasia, tall poppy syndrome is frequently invoked as an explanation when a public figure is on the receiving end of negative publicity

Did you even read the links I posted? Are you trying to tell me that people fail to understand how skillful and important SBW is?

SBW is one of the most skilled players running around. If you're trying to tell me he's underrated because he recieves some bad press from some of the people on this forum who think he's inconsistent, then you're wrong.

He received universal accolades for his debut performance in which, playing at centre/three quarter he scored a try against the Parramatta Eels, outclassing prominent Kangaroo representative, Jamie Lyon. He went on to establish himself in the Bulldogs team, and played a big part in their Grand Final success that year, where he was deemed a 'revelation' by many members of the press. He made his debut for the New Zealand national side at the end of the year, aged only 18. ~ Source

People would not say he was a 'revelation' or outclassing an International in his debut if they thought he was underrated.

By your theory, any good player that is bagged means they're underrated, which is pure stupidity. Secondly, I dare you to find 5 Dogs fans who have a general low opinion of him. It's rediculous, you're making him out to be some kid who's been publicly vilified for some unknown reason. The only reaons I can see him recieving bad press is because morons who listen to the Telecrap then watch his game and expect him to walk on water. It doesn't happen like that. He's 21 and people expect so much of him that when he only delivers an 8/10 game, people seem to think he's inconsistent.

It's rubbish. The kid isn't underrated, if anything he's unjistifiably overhyped and has unreasonable expectations placed on him.

Im not sure how credible your source is when it is factually incorrect

it states SBW made his Test debut at the 'end of the year', that year being 2004, the year Bulldogs won the GF, however SBW actually made his NZ debut in April of 2004, in the ANZAC test in Newcastle, off the interchange bench.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Murphdogg1 said:
Im not sure how credible your source is when it is factually incorrect

it states SBW made his Test debut at the 'end of the year', that year being 2004, the Bulldogs won the GF, however SBW actually made his NZ debut in April of 2004, in the ANZAC test in Newcastle, off the interchange bench.

A slight tarnish that doesn't discount the point I'm trying to prove.

Which is that SBW isn't underrated.

johns_reds

First Grade
i think he is slightly over-rated - he receives praise every second week and he isn't even that good, if you ask me he is a bit of a girl

by the way under-rated is someone like cooper cronk who does not get as much praise as he should

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
A bit of a girl? :lol:

He's got more guts than you do.

Phillips

Referee
he is slightly overated.. no doubt he has alot of talent and is one of the best in the game, but every single thing he ever does.. people orgasm over it

The Dominator

Juniors
His last game was good to see, cos it's the 1st time we have seen him totally dominate a game for a couple of years. It shows he is just about back to his best. I think we need to remember just how serious his injuries have been . He was producing similar performances to his game on the weekend on a regular basis in 2004 and early 2005. His game in the world club challenge and 1st round against St.George in 2005 are among the best individual performances i have ever seen. If he is regaining that form then he will repay every cent of his contract.

D-Titan

Juniors
SBW has played well all year and is one of the games biggest drawcards because he can entertain. He has skills that no other forward in the comp has...

First player picked in my team

A man was drinking in a bar with a giraffe when it collapsed.
"Don't leave that lyin' on the floor" said the barman.
"That's not a lion!" said the man.

Charlie124

First Grade
Lay off the cocain mate, Money Bags Williams was average at best again tonight, constantly trying to offload and squeeze stupid passes that either went to ground or to a broncos player. Kouparitsas was impressive.

Charlie124

First Grade
There are many MANY players in the NRL that are much better value than SBW, he isn't worth half the money hes on even if he wasnt so injury prone (good on him for conning the Dogs out of their cash BTW). I think all the hype surrounding his "potential" is a desperate/hopeful attempt to justify the obscene amount of money he is being paid.

If i hear the terms "getting back to his best", "almost back to his best", "yet to get back to his best" or "not quite back to his best yet" i think ill cry.

Heres a thought, maybe THIS is all his "best" is. FFS he even tried one of his trademark shoulder charges on a much smaller winger tonight and couldnt manage to rattle him.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
He's been outstanding for the Dogs this season.

Therefore, he's earning his money. Big money, big performances.

Furthermore, he's been more or less injury free since 2005.

You're simply proving yourself incapable of recognising ability.

mattyg

Bench
i thought he was good again tonight. Yeah one dumb offload towards the end but he had to do something, we were way behind. He was involved in both tries, and he set up plenty of breaks on that right hand side.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
He set up a line break or half break with just about every touch.

fmd

The Dogs scored 2 tries. SBW scored one, had the try assist for the other.

They had 2 tries disallowed, one came after Hughes dove over from dummy half after an El Masri run from a brilliant SBW offload. The other came after Phelps should have scored from a SBW pass!

2 tries- one for SBW, 1 from his try assist. 2 disallowed tries, 1 he set up, the other his try assist. What exactly do you want?

Latest posts