What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Queensland Crushers

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I went to most of their games. At the time it was the only way to see Rugby League at Suncorp Stadium outside of Origin as the Broncos had moved to ANZ Stadium (QE2). I wasn't necessarily a Crushers fan but loved having two teams in Brisbane to watch. Great we have that again now.

From memory, Ampol used to give away free Crushers tickets back then when you filled up with fuel there so I don't think I actually ever paid to watch them though - lol.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I went to most of their games. At the time it was the only way to see Rugby League at Suncorp Stadium outside of Origin as the Broncos had moved to ANZ Stadium (QE2). I wasn't necessarily a Crushers fan but loved having two teams in Brisbane to watch. Great we have that again now.

From memory, Ampol used to give away free Crushers tickets back then when you filled up with fuel there so I don't think I actually ever paid to watch them though - lol.
I don't think anyone paid to watch them! You couldn't give away tickets towards the end...

King hit

Coach
Was listening to Matty Johns podcast a few years back and the Crushers came up. The point was made if they were never kicked out they could have been very successful. Thurston, Smith & Cronk would all have likely come into grade at the club, with several others like Slater, Ballin, Munster and Inglis also potential players for the club. Obviously the challenge would have been retention. It took 10 seasons for the Cowboys to fully kick on and fulfil their potential so it’s definitely possible the plug was pulled here a few years early, although there probably wasn’t room for the Broncos, Chargers and Crushers in the 14 team competition in 2000 (the Crushers probably would have been the better choice than the Chargers in hindsight).
Some of the Crushers players really kicked on after they folded as well. Schifoske (don't know if it's spelled like that), Nutley, Tookey, Norton, McKenna, Moule, Sattler from the top of my head. Could've moulded themselves into a decent team if they were given a fair go at establishing themselves.

Wb1234

Referee
Why was the game so big in the early 90’s? Whats changed that it doesn’t seem as big now as it was back then despite all the money in the game now and a bigger population?

interesting read on the crushers. Such a shame we lost those important clubs in the SL fall out.
Rugby league was booming in the 90s you say

wow great observation

Canard

Immortal
I maintain that, back in 1987, they should have extended an offer for two BRL sides to join. Redcliffe (focusing on the northside of Brisbane) and then Wynnum- Manly (focusing on the south-east) would have been my picks

Neither of those clubs would have been able to compete without serious financial backing.

The Broncos worked because of the combination of the best of the BRL talent, and the financial backing of Porky Morgan and Barry Maranta.

I have no doubt, that if poker machines were legalised in QLD at the same time as NSW, that up to 3 or 4 BRL teams would have merged into the NSWRL.

Some of the Crushers players really kicked on after they folded as well. Schifoske (don't know if it's spelled like that), Nutley, Tookey, Norton, McKenna, Moule, Sattler from the top of my head. Could've moulded themselves into a decent team if they were given a fair go at establishing themselves.

Justin Hodges (whilst from Cairns) was a Crushers junior also.

kdalymc

Bench
from one dumb name to another.
Sth Qld, when there was already 2 other teams in Sth Qld.
and then THE. Where the f**k is THE

Dogs Of War

Coach
from one dumb name to another.
Sth Qld, when there was already 2 other teams in Sth Qld.
and then THE. Where the f**k is THE
If you watch the Becoming the Dolphins they sort of explain it. I guarantee in a few more years they will add a location, but they want it to be as broad as possible. It's hard to try and represent Brisbane, Moreton Bay, Sunshine Coast and Central QLD (Thats all the places they believe support is coming from). I feel they will go with Moreton Bay at some point. That does a wide area (Not the council region, but the actual bay).

They definitely had a lot of potential that was never realised. we would probably say the same about the Cowboys had they been cut in the late 90s. Probably the Warriors too (although that was never really on the table from memory).

MugaB

Coach
If you watch the Becoming the Dolphins they sort of explain it. I guarantee in a few more years they will add a location, but they want it to be as broad as possible. It's hard to try and represent Brisbane, Moreton Bay, Sunshine Coast and Central QLD (Thats all the places they believe support is coming from). I feel they will go with Moreton Bay at some point. That does a wide area (Not the council region, but the actual bay).
Sunshine State

Perth Red

Post Whore
isnthere really any geographical description that covers Moreton bay and Sunshine Coast and northern city suburbs of brisbane? Trying to be all things to all people rarley works.

Latest posts