What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Queensland Crushers

steeden.

Juniors

Vee

First Grade

MRN

Juniors
The first ever game I attended was Crushers v Bears at the old Lang Park. Bears won. I'm pretty sure Crushers scored first. I remember their mascot was like a caricature train driver. They tried to start a Crushers chant but the crowd wasn't having it. At least around the area I was in.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why was the game so big in the early 90’s? Whats changed that it doesn’t seem as big now as it was back then despite all the money in the game now and a bigger population?

interesting read on the crushers. Such a shame we lost those important clubs in the SL fall out.

Brian potter

Bench
Why was the game so big in the early 90’s? Whats changed that it doesn’t seem as big now as it was back then despite all the money in the game now and a bigger population?

interesting read on the crushers. Such a shame we lost those important clubs in the SL fall out.
Super league.

Front-Rower

First Grade

Why were the 5 cricket fields in my area always full on a Saturday afternoon in the 90’s and now they are empty, with the wickets been ripped up?

Life has changed, the population has changed. Lots more going on in life these days, and interests change.

t-ba

Post Whore

Some morons who worried about dumb shit like how many teams Sydney had did stupid things.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Arko said his biggest mistake was not adding two Brisbane teams at once

but their concern was to ensure the broncos were competitive

the broncos did a great job killing off the crushers then putting a condition that no second team in brisbane be allowed until around 2015

blue bags

First Grade

the broncos did a great job killing off the crushers then putting a condition that no second team in brisbane be allowed until around 2015
And salary cap exemption 😎

Was listening to Matty Johns podcast a few years back and the Crushers came up. The point was made if they were never kicked out they could have been very successful. Thurston, Smith & Cronk would all have likely come into grade at the club, with several others like Slater, Ballin, Munster and Inglis also potential players for the club. Obviously the challenge would have been retention. It took 10 seasons for the Cowboys to fully kick on and fulfil their potential so it’s definitely possible the plug was pulled here a few years early, although there probably wasn’t room for the Broncos, Chargers and Crushers in the 14 team competition in 2000 (the Crushers probably would have been the better choice than the Chargers in hindsight).

blue bags

First Grade
Gold coast. Surfer's paradise.
Tweed heads. Northern NSW
It's more of a regional team. Club
And there was no major sports club in that area. That's why it was ripe to pick up
And the amount of rugby league juniors around that region
Gold coast Tweed heads seagulls are the original club
Tweed seagulls has long rugby league history
Broncos. Crushers. Were manufactured from nothing. With no history at all.
Dolphin's has been a established club for many decades
Who was the cowboys before they entered the NRL ? Did they start from zero. Nothing ?

Reflector

Juniors

I maintain that, back in 1987, they should have extended an offer for two BRL sides to join. Redcliffe (focusing on the northside of Brisbane) and then Wynnum- Manly (focusing on the south-east) would have been my picks

Wb1234

Referee
I maintain that, back in 1987, they should have extended an offer for two BRL sides to join. Redcliffe (focusing on the northside of Brisbane) and then Wynnum- Manly (focusing on the south-east) would have been my picks
Yep

Latest posts