What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southern Orcas (NZ2)

toomuchsoup

Juniors
I’m curious to see what happens to the Warriors if covid is still around next year or even the year after. How long can they stay ‘on the road’ like they are. I could imagine that being a perfect in for Brisbane2 without having to go to 17 teams if it becomes untenable for the Warriors. Then maybe bring back the Warriors and NZ2 in a few years once there’s some normalcy in the world.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’m curious to see what happens to the Warriors if covid is still around next year or even the year after. How long can they stay ‘on the road’ like they are. I could imagine that being a perfect in for Brisbane2 without having to go to 17 teams if it becomes untenable for the Warriors. Then maybe bring back the Warriors and NZ2 in a few years once there’s some normalcy in the world.
They’ve just signed a new nz tv deal with an alleged $64million increase. Warriors are going nowhere.

flippikat

Bench
Covid will likely always be around - well, if not always, then for a very long time.

I can't see it being globally eradicated like smallpox.

The key is getting vaccination rates in NZ/Australia up as much as possible, so the borders can be open (not just trans Tasman). With both countries clamoring for "everyone who wants jabs, has gotten jabs" by the end of this year, it's perfectly reasonable to expect season 2022 will launch as a normal, pre-Covid competition.

Season kicks off mid-Mar, trials in mid-Feb, so that's already an in-built 2-month-ish "slippage" contingency if the vaccine rollout isn't done by end of this year.

siv

First Grade
They’ve just signed a new nz tv deal with an alleged $64million increase. Warriors are going nowhere.
I think your reading too much into it

Maybe more about trying to lock out upstart streaming services who won the RLWC broadcast rights

The Great Dane

First Grade
Life long Auckland Rugby League supporter here.

I would welcome a 2nd franchise with open arms and they would have my full support.

In fact I would give them more support than the Warriors who have failed to deliver for so long, that I am keen to support any NZ franchise without a hint of guilt about the Warriors.

A new franchise would be my team one and the Warriors team two.
God damn that's cold lol.

MugaB

Coach
we need another NZ team and the name "Orca" is a great name for a club
Interesting fact Orcas or Killer whales, are not whales at all, they are a part of the dolphin family... so 17th club is Dolphins, you want 18th to become Another one hehe

I am against one let alone two Kiwi teams in our NRL. Why do we continue to groom future Kiwi internationals in the strongest domestic comp in world league.. Perhaps a touch harsh but that is what we are doing. Instead of grooming Australian players in Australian teams to actually take on the Kiwis in Tests and hopefully whip them. I want a Perth team as our next Aussie team. Then perhaps an Adelaide team. These two AFL strong states defied the odds and made league work for their states once. Only then will we be viewed as a national sport.

jim_57

Staff member
They should relocate Bulldogs to Canterbury/Christchurch.

Black and yellow home jersey.
Blue and white away jersey.

Orcas would be a great brand, but I do think a relocation could work well in NZ if an existing club were to fail in Sydney.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I am against one let alone two Kiwi teams in our NRL. Why do we continue to groom future Kiwi internationals in the strongest domestic comp in world league.. Perhaps a touch harsh but that is what we are doing. Instead of grooming Australian players in Australian teams to actually take on the Kiwis in Tests and hopefully whip them. I want a Perth team as our next Aussie team. Then perhaps an Adelaide team. These two AFL strong states defied the odds and made league work for their states once. Only then will we be viewed as a national sport.
Because a strong NZ as competition is good for the international game and the Kangaroos brand.

flippikat

Bench
Interesting fact Orcas or Killer whales, are not whales at all, they are a part of the dolphin family... so 17th club is Dolphins, you want 18th to become Another one hehe
Yeah, I'm not convinced about the Orca either... I'd go for a Kea - especially if the club was based in Christchurch.

I mean, what's not to live about a clever mountain-parrot with a huge freaking beak?

Plus, if the club was decked out in green, brown & orange (or any combination of them, green & orange with brown trim?), it'd be unique in the NRL AND neutral as far as NZ cities go - not Christchurch's red & black, not Wellington's black and yellow.

Attachments

• images (3) (1).jpeg
    images (3) (1).jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 3

Perth Red

Post Whore
Biggest problem for NZ2 is where? no other cities are very big and having RL as a second sport in a small population could be a disaster financially and from a fanbase. I guess if Sky NZ is going to stump up $20mill a year more for another club then that would motivate this current mob in charge. I dont think sharing a team around cities will work anymore than sharing the Tigers around Sydney has. In a direct comparison Perth would be ahead of Christchurch in pretty much every metric right now.

Pippen94

First Grade
Biggest problem for NZ2 is where? no other cities are very big and having RL as a second sport in a small population could be a disaster financially and from a fanbase. I guess if Sky NZ is going to stump up $20mill a year more for another club then that would motivate this current mob in charge. I dont think sharing a team around cities will work anymore than sharing the Tigers around Sydney has. In a direct comparison Perth would be ahead of Christchurch in pretty much every metric right now.

Shitting on Brisbane bids didn't get Perth in. Won't work doing same with kiwi clubs.

flippikat

Bench
I think the three selling points of NZ2 are...

1 - Possibly more money from Sky for the extra NZ-focused content (they've already upped their money, so this is a big assumption)

2 - Pathway for more NZ talent, close to home - especially poaching RU talent.
(Another assumption.. does it make a difference to NZ talent? Would an NRL team sway RU juniors?)

3 - Potential for more "early Friday" games to be in NZ - 8pm NZ on Friday is the 6pm Friday eastern time slot that's not popular with Australian clubs.
(That's assuming both NZ teams are on board with playing that time slot.. I imagine the Warriors would wanna keep some Sunday afternoon games.. that's been a great timeslot for them)

Some assumptions in there, then.. and to be honest I think Perth makes far better sense BEFORE NZ 2.