What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southern Sharks

joshreading

Staff member
BEFORE Sharkies fans go crazy about their stability etc. WHAT IF the NRL offered four million for a PARTIAL relocation in that 4 - 6 games would be moved to Adelaide for a contracted period of say Ten years. Thus making a gaurantee for both the Sydney based home and Adelaide base of stability and consistency. The SA government and business would need to be involved. (think the Rams had SEVEN thousand members when they were shut)

Shark Park would be retained and games against the Sharks by other teams in Sydney would be sought to bring the Cronulla based homes games back up to say ten.

A slight name change to Southern Sharks would be made still being relevant to both areas (and maybe even the South Coast could be an aim) The Sharks are a marketable name and image.

Could it work? Pros and Cons (and maybe another team is a better option)

joshreading

Staff member
It would kill two birds with one stone - stability for a Sydney club and presence in another market for the NRL.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Cronulla currently average 15,000 so let's move them to Adelaide where there are no juniors and crowds of 10,000 and Harry's Hardware can sponsor them, as the Crows and Power have the bulk of the corporate market.

Great suggestion.

gregstar

Referee
i believe that at some stage maybe within 5-8 years, the sharks, dragons & steelers will all be one team.

i thought about a year after the saints / steelers merger, that at some atge the sharks would be incorporated.

i hope it doesn't happen - but i feel that's where it's headed.

lockyrulz

Juniors
Cronulla currently average 15,000 so let's move them to Adelaide where there are no juniors and crowds of 10,000 and Harry's Hardware can sponsor them, as the Crows and Power have the bulk of the corporate market.

Great suggestion.

And what is Adelaides potential market as opposed to Cronullas?

The Tank

Bench
I wouldn't be totally against Penrith relocating to Adelaide or merging with Parramatta if it weren't for the fact we have a massive junior base and faggotball is targetting our region.

joshreading

Staff member
I didn't suggest moving them lock stock and barrel BUT extending their reach. Cronulla also has a tendancy to desert fairly quickly as well and whilst they are popular where they are, they have little popularity outside of the Shire. The future (and dare i say it present - see euro soccer etc.) of successful sporting enterprise is gathering support from outside your area.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Point missed is not that you are transferring 15,000 Cronulla fans for 15,000 Adelaide fans but hopefully you keep the bulk of Cronulla fans and DOUBLE them by adding Adelaide fans. 12,500 in Cronulla and 15,000 in Adelaide with the current Cronulla sponsors PLUS new SA sponsors adds up to a much healthier scenario for the long term survival prospects of Cronulla (or whichever Sydney team is in danger of going under).

Add to that a new NRL "initiative" grant of $1million a year for clubs willing to do this and suddenly we have a national game and vibrant Sydney clubs. Worth a consideration surely? Cronulla fans get to watch 6 home games + 6 Sydney based away games and Adelaide fans get 7 home games. The NRl gets a national league and better moeny deals becasue of it, everyones a winner!

nqboy

First Grade
NOt a bad plan but I think it should be phased in. 2 games the first year, 4 the second and 6 the third. Give it time to build support.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Won't happen. Won't need to happen. Sharks will stand alone. The goose that lays the golden eggs is coming........

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Eitehr move there fulltime or just play a game or two there every year. None of this half & half stuff would work. Look at the AFL, whenever they tried it they failed every single time.

In saying that I've always liked the idea of the Sharks relocating to Adelaide. It'd make so much more sense in the long term (which is how we should looking at any possible relocations) and we'd have a team in a relatively uncompetitive sports market with great potential.

Vossy

Bench
how about no!..roosters offer nothing to this league except a fat chequebook to buy all there stars..they HAVE no juniors and they have no fans..more relevant to move them to the adelaide

Ricky Stuart is doing a good job at killing them off

no that was what chris anderson tried to do..we are going in the right direction under sticky..hell of alot better position that where ando put us..at the bottom of the ladder..

Wicks

Juniors
how about no!..roosters offer nothing to this league except a fat chequebook to buy all there stars..they HAVE no juniors and they have no fans..more relevant to move them to the adelaide

no that was what chris anderson tried to do..we are going in the right direction under sticky..hell of alot better position that where ando put us..at the bottom of the ladder..

Plenty of opportunities with all the imports you are bringing in :p

Roosters is an easy one as Politis is not a patient man but you dont want to be in with them

There seems to be more Saint George juniors around and playing in first grade than the Sharks and there would be even more at the Dragons if not for the quality of the Illawarra juniors

Sea Eagles and Balmain are doing a better job too

You made superficial moves with Stuart but junior players can see what is really going on

The best ones can only hope they will be elevated to test level if they stick around behind the imports

T to the T

Juniors
This smacks of a half-assed job and thats what it will continue to be. The Sharks should merge with the Saints, but Illawarra should have it's own side again. This lessens the burden on Sydney but gives a regional centre a team of it's own.

WA Reds, Northern Bears, SQ Crushers and Wellington Jets should make a nice 20. If Adelaide were to get a team, it would then really have to be at the expense of a Sydney team (ducks) but only after then.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Forget Adelaide for the moment - it's just not worth the angst. Too many other problems to sort out first.

They do have good chocolate milk though.

mark123

Juniors
This sounds like a good idea in principal.

Love to see some studies into it to show the potential of it working out.

Lets face it. Sutherland shire is a bit limited.

Adelaide is far far far greater.

Many hands make light work, and this means the game doesnt have too much on its plate for Adelaide to come in...anytime Adelaide is ready, do it.

Latest posts