What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southern Sharks

bobmar28

Bench
i believe that at some stage maybe within 5-8 years, the sharks, dragons & steelers will all be one team.

i thought about a year after the saints / steelers merger, that at some atge the sharks would be incorporated.

i hope it doesn't happen - but i feel that's where it's headed.
And call them the Southern Sharks?

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
For the Roosters gloating - my other thought is to merge the Sharks and Roosters - East City Sharks. Playing out of Shark Park and major games at the SFS. Money and juniors and an actual heartland you can dominate.
That's a better idea. Someone suggested this before as the East Coast Sharks.

Last edited:

joshreading

Staff member
I can hardly believe that people would give up their team if they play 3 or 4 games in another city to ensure they thrive in every area. I am not even talking about relocation, only playing some home games elsewhere to expand your supporter base.

If the Storm decided that it was best to play 3 or 4 games in Tassie to thrive and change their name to Southern Storm I would still support them with the same passion. They would still represent Victoria.

In the long run RL needs to support RL, not all the developments and leagues clubs and yes News. Use them as a safety net but not as the key income.

The Sharkies fans need to realise the potential benefit of opening up another million plus potential supporters. The corporate and governement support, more juniors, tv money. The potential is endless and they don't lose their home base.

Alan Shore

First Grade
It will be a similar model as Penrith where there is private investment etc.
The issue is that a lot of the income that will be produced will still have to go into servicing the dept that would be incured to do the development and wont automatically tranfer to $$$ in Sharks football club.And they will have ot pay off shareholders.

They are using equity to finance the investment, creating a separate holding company that the Sharks football club will retain a substantial shareholding in. Moreover, dividends are only payable if the company makes a profit, and paying off "shareholders" would include the Cronulla DRLFC.

joshreading

Staff member
I don't think that there is really much need to merge anyone. Teams need to start thinking outside the box however, that is why I think the Southern Sharks (Shire and SA) might work.

The Dodger

First Grade
it will never happen.

a merge with stgeorge illawarra would happen before the sharks get relocated to another area.

you guys need to realise that it will be someone elses team that will be relocating if thats the case.

west tigers, penrith, parramatta.

i reckon one team will merge with the tigers and the other will be relocated.

Last edited:
it will never happen.

a merge with stgeorge illawarra would happen before the sharks get relocated to another area.

you guys need to realise that it will be someone elses team that will be relocating if thats the case.

west tigers, penrith, parramatta.

i reckon one team will merge with the tigers and the other will be relocated.

Not having a go, but what would the Sharks offer St George Illawarra?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hawthorne are paid $5mill a year to play 3 games in Tassie by the State Govt and Mars has just chipped in $12mill to establish AFL in the State. Shows what can happen if you have proactive clubs and a leadership in your code that is pushing your game forward without the traditionalist mentality.

Loudstrat

Coach
Hawthorne are paid $5mill a year to play 3 games in Tassie by the State Govt and Mars has just chipped in $12mill to establish AFL in the State. Shows what can happen if you have proactive clubs and a leadership in your code that is pushing your game forward without the traditionalist mentality.
Yeah - best chance to expand is on the most remote island on the planet into Australia's weakest economy.

Shows how stupid Mars is -though AFL was already established in Tassie?

Still, dickbrained snack food manufacturers throwing money at pointless ideas would be something that appeals to you.

I guess if Lifesavers paid Penrith $5 mil to play 3 games on Easter Island you'd proclaim that League was saved?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah - best chance to expand is on the most remote island on the planet into Australia's weakest economy.

Shows how stupid Mars is -though AFL was already established in Tassie?

Still, dickbrained snack food manufacturers throwing money at pointless ideas would be something that appeals to you.

I guess if Lifesavers paid Penrith $5 mil to play 3 games on Easter Island you'd proclaim that League was saved?

It'd be a start for saving Penrith!

Only you could miss the signifigance of the point! You asking if I would be happy if a corporate threw money at RL to establish it in a non RL area? Hell yes!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Why would any team go to Adelaide, before Perth, Wellington etc.

It is a shyte hole with fugg all population, who are reject Victorians.

I would support the NRL bypassing that place all together.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Adelaide has virtual zero population growth over the next 30 years. It is a stagnate city.

It still has over a million people living there.

Not to mention that we've had a team in Adelaide before and it had better crowds and higher membership numbers in its first season 10 years ago than almost every team does today.

fatshark

Bench
Not to mention that we've had a team in Adelaide before and it had better crowds and higher membership numbers in its first season 10 years ago than almost every team does today.
show us this fact.
Crowds dont make a club, they are only a very small part.

Loudstrat

Coach
It'd be a start for saving Penrith!

Only you could miss the signifigance of the point! You asking if I would be happy if a corporate threw money at RL to establish it in a non RL area? Hell yes!

First of all, Tassie is NOT a non AFL area.

Second, $5 mil is peanuts. The NRL has $8 mil on offer for relocation to Gosford - with the promise of more if clubs really need it. No takers.

rabbitohs

Juniors
Adelaide has virtual zero population growth over the next 30 years. It is a stagnate city.

Rubbish, the growth in the state here is good and in actual fact the slightly lower than desired rate is offset by the changing demographics (unlike elsewhere SA population is not aging as fast). The green belts are being developed for housing etc just like everywhere else.

We also have the beginnings of a resources boom with country towns like Whyalla and Roxby Downs growing exponentially.

Adelaide also have the tradition of big membership crowds may not make a team but membership subscriptions etc certainly attract sponsors. Mining complanies etc. would be ideal.

Latest posts