What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths to start negotiations with Hayne this week

Parra Guru

Coach
tbh I don't think it's fair to whinge about Souths needing to buy talent though. I thought that to get them to be more competitive it was obvious that's what needs to be done. While I think some of the extras they receive are a bit wanky, they definately needed a massive player cleanout to rebuild.

Souths have watched a lot of juniors slip away to richer clubs in the past, let them have their day in the sun.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Parra Guru said:
Souths have watched a lot of juniors slip away to richer clubs in the past, let them have their day in the sun.

By stealing ours? When's our day in the sun? 21 long seasons ago. This batch of youngsters we have coming through are special, I can't cop Souths pinching them just because Russ wants his plaything to be successful. Not just Hayne either, if they took Folau from Melbourne that would annoy the sh*t out of me too. Throwing all this money at teenagers is low IMO.

watatank

Coach
how can they afford to throw this money at players? hayne is pushing it, folau in addition is well past the limit...

Agent Mulder

Bench
That'll be right, After all these years waiting for all these Jr's of ours to come into 1sts and then we let them go.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Agent Mulder said:
That'll be right, After all these years waiting for all these Jr's of ours to come into 1sts and then we let them go.

who's letting them go???? :?

Tizzun

Juniors
I think the early 2000's saw Parra build a reputation (whether deserved or not) of being a team which lets players go a little too easily. Given we lost PJ, Tonga, and Ryan in the space of a few years. I think that reputation has lingered and people just expect Parra not to fight hard (that is pay overs) to retain Hayne and INU... I'm of the belief we will only be able to sign one, which one is anyones guess.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Tizzun said:
I think the early 2000's saw Parra build a reputation (whether deserved or not) of being a team which lets players go a little too easily. Given we lost PJ, Tonga, and Ryan in the space of a few years. I think that reputation has lingered and people just expect Parra not to fight hard (that is pay overs) to retain Hayne and INU... I'm of the belief we will only be able to sign one, which one is anyones guess.

massive diference mate between now and then. Between 1997 and 2006 the decision on the retention of players came down to Brian Smith, Brian was interviewed a few years just prior to his departure with the club and was asked the simple of question of how many players did he try to retain but couldn't and was genuinely sorry to see leave, and he said and I quote, "just 1, J. Cayless" unquote.

I know this seems hard to beilieve, but the club hasn't lost many players that they genuinly wanted to keep and they will fight tooth and nail to keep those they want to keep, but the problem we and the 14 other clubs a dealing with a genuine monster who, in my opinion have unlimited influence in Australia and Abroad.

People say how would Souths fit Hayne and Israil into their cap, my question is does it matter???? we will never know and they just can, there's just no point in trying to reason with it.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
eelavation said:
People say how would Souths fit Hayne and Israil into their cap, my question is does it matter???? we will never know and they just can, there's just no point in trying to reason with it.

damn right it matters.

1. if it is illegal - blow the whistle. bulldogs 2002 premiers.
2. if it is legal - find out how they are able to do it and see if we can do the same thing. if they have a different structure that is giving them an advantage over us, get in there and fight fire with fire.

Tizzun

Juniors
eelavation said:
massive diference mate between now and then. Between 1997 and 2006 the decision on the retention of players came down to Brian Smith, Brian was interviewed a few years just prior to his departure with the club and was asked the simple of question of how many players did he try to retain but couldn't and was genuinely sorry to see leave, and he said and I quote, "just 1, J. Cayless" unquote.

I know this seems hard to beilieve, but the club hasn't lost many players that they genuinly wanted to keep and they will fight tooth and nail to keep those they want to keep, but the problem we and the 14 other clubs a dealing with a genuine monster who, in my opinion have unlimited influence in Australia and Abroad.

No doubt there is a difference, I was more pointing out what non-Parra fans think.

I'm not sure the NRL needs another club which will constantly try to buy a premiership, Manly and the Roosters have been trying for years. Now Newcastle, Brisbane and Souths have joined in. These days cheque book rugby league seldomly works, Parra showed this in the late 90's and Manly have proved that more recently (and in the early 80's :)). As a fan I would cherish a premiership more than anything else, and I would love it even more if most of the players were Parra juniors.

MrT

Juniors
anyone care to guess what PJ marsh was on?
I'd say 150-200k max. This should be more than enough to re-sign both Inu and Hayne.
I'm sure the club has already had money aside for that purpose and this could just help things.

I feel if any of them leave the club buying them will be paying massive overs

Stagger eel

Staff member
Tyler Durden said:
damn right it matters.

1. if it is illegal - blow the whistle. bulldogs 2002 premiers.
2. if it is legal - find out how they are able to do it and see if we can do the same thing. if they have a different structure that is giving them an advantage over us, get in there and fight fire with fire.

I never said what they do is illegal, all i know is that we'll never know if what they're doing is illegal, and isn't it funny that the 3 privately ownrd clubs don't seem to have a problem signing who they want to sign and never lose players that they wanted to keep.

so in saying that..

1 find a disgruntled inside worker..
2 the NRL have been trying to find out for years with plenty of clubs.

no doubt that they have an adavantage and if a private consortium was to knock on our door in 3 seconds I'd welcome them with open arms, but I'm not in the board. ;-)

Stagger eel

Staff member
MrT said:
anyone care to guess what PJ marsh was on?
I'd say 150-200k max. This should be more than enough to re-sign both Inu and Hayne.
I'm sure the club has already had money aside for that purpose and this could just help things.

I feel if any of them leave the club buying them will be paying massive overs

the whisper I'm hearing is that's what they're trying to do, will it succede??? don't know.

MrT

Juniors
eelavation said:
I never said what they do is illegal, all i know is that we'll never know if what they're doing is illegal, and isn't it funny that the 3 privately ownrd clubs don't seem to have a problem signing who they want to sign and never lose players that they wanted to keep.

so in saying that..

1 find a disgruntled inside worker..
2 the NRL have been trying to find out for years with plenty of clubs.

no doubt that they have an adavantage and if a private consortium was to knock on our door in 3 seconds I'd welcome them with open arms, but I'm not in the board. ;-)

I've been saying this for a while.
Look at manly re-signed all their off cotract players to 3 year deals.
Fought off other clubs for Cuthberson.
Don't be fooled, yes they lost Monaghan and Burns but only because they weren't playing in their rightful positions. Burns wasn't playing much at all.

On top of this they sign Josh perry.
They would have had to upgrade all those contracts, Watmough and B. Steward considerably, yet they have 2 players that make up $1m a year, Orford and Lyon.

Dogs have 2 players on big money, Mason and SBW, yet they continued to lose stars because of this.

How is it Manly jave lost no one they didn't want to lose?
Ever heard of the McIntyre system?

Stagger eel

Staff member
MrT said:
I've been saying this for a while.
Look at manly re-signed all their off cotract players to 3 year deals.
Fought off other clubs for Cuthberson.
Don't be fooled, yes they lost Monaghan and Burns but only because they weren't playing in their rightful positions. Burns wasn't playing much at all.

On top of this they sign Josh perry.
They would have had to upgrade all those contracts, Watmough and B. Steward considerably, yet they have 2 players that make up $1m a year, Orford and Lyon.

Dogs have 2 players on big money, Mason and SBW, yet they continued to lose stars because of this.

How is it Manly jave lost no one they didn't want to lose?
Ever heard of the McIntyre system?

they've been trying to get rid of Monaghan for years and they certainly relished the opportunity to grant him a release when he approached the club about 6 months ago..

I heard the actual figure that Lyon is on and whether it's true or not is another thing but the figure is absolutely staggering and laughable at best..

they're certainly the 8th wonder of the world..

Parra Guru

Coach
ParraDude_Jay said:
By stealing ours? When's our day in the sun? 21 long seasons ago. This batch of youngsters we have coming through are special, I can't cop Souths pinching them just because Russ wants his plaything to be successful. Not just Hayne either, if they took Folau from Melbourne that would annoy the sh*t out of me too. Throwing all this money at teenagers is low IMO.

I was talking about as a whole, not Parra's juniors.

But it's not like these kids make the decisions on their own. They have managers and a heap of family and coaches to help them. Jarryd's got high opinion of himself. Whatever he decides, it will be good for Parra. If he goes to Souths because of all the baby carrots being waved in front of him, and decides to turn his back on the players and coaches who have held his hand for the last 2 years, then honestly, he's not the type of kid I'd want around the club. If he stays, I'd be impressed with his attitude.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Kris Inu's a guy I'd be devastated to see leave.

TheParraboy

Staff member
ParraDude_Jay said:

agree

anyone under 20yo should only be offered 50k a year max, from a rival club

:roll:

yy_cheng

Coach
They should chnage the salary cap to

if it is a junior (need to define what is a junior is) that has gone through the grades and have made first grade, there should be a $X amount of dollars that is not included in the cap if that Player has not left the club.

Someone like Hindmarsh would still be allowed that exclusion of $X

bartman

Immortal
I think with all the focus on particular clubs and how they can do it/afford it and salary caps changes etc, we are missing out on the key element that makes this all take place - players and their managers trying to extract the very top dollar they can from anywhere they can.

Sure, that's their entitlement to do so, but it kind of shows you what type of people these guys are, and how much their current club and loyalty and satisfaction etc mean to them. Obviously great players that we should try to keep, but within reason. We have to operate and pay a squad as a whole, and have that as balanced as can be within what we can afford and what the rules lay down.

Players deserve an increase when they've achieved at higher levels eg rep selection, stepping up a grade, constant selection and performance etc. But if the players and managers are trying to extract maximum coin just for the sake of it, then in my opinion there's a limit to how much higher as a club we should try to follow the demands. If it means we lose the more greedy players after a few years of good service, then we and other clubs just have to wear that.

It seems players like Tahu and PJ left because they wanted different challenges (eg code swap, more game time/starting etc) more so than it being purely about the money. Anyone that's not prepared to do what's best for their (current) team/club as part of their personality (eg Willie) is setting themselves up to be someone who becomes of the outer of their club and who won't succeed in getting the increase they desire unless they head elsewhere anyway.

Whether Hayne and his manager (is it Manoa?) fall into this category is debatable. But I hope not, but the longer it takes them to commit to a decent offer from his current club that he should be happy with, the more it looks like he's just following the Joey Johns model of being a money hungry grub trying to extract the most for himself to the detriment of others in his current or future team...