What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sponsor

Vin Fizz

Bench
The big question is.... why did he do that interview?QUOTE]

To save face primarily is my guess. He's a business man and wants to distance his predominant business dealings that might be affected by a loss of reputation i'd say. He's connected and i dont think he'll buy into it further.

Frailty

First Grade
The big question is.... why did he do that interview?

To save face primarily is my guess. He's a business man and wants to distance his predominant business dealings that might be affected by a loss of reputation i'd say. He's connected and i dont think he'll buy into it further.

I don't think this was necessarily the reason. His reputation was not harmed at all prior to his interview. He was portrayed as the good guy, and the evil sharks club didn't like him.

Vin Fizz

Bench
He was portrayed as the good guy, and the evil sharks club didn't like him.

Yeah...thats what I mean by connected. Im only guessing (as always). His reputation might not have suffered publically but those people dealing with him on a business level might have been wondering just a little wether everything was ok. He doesnt want to look weak among his peirs. If Aunty gave me the opportunity to give my side of the story without being fettered by the ARLC broadcaster (he didnt go to Fox or nein and both have shat on the story a little) i'd go to town as well. Apparently he is a nice fella but like most at that level is ruthless with their business interests. I dunno though boss.

Last edited:

spider

Coach
Does anyone really believe anything coming from club or media at the moment. Only yesterday on the Grill Team Cullen claims Fitness First booting the sharks from their gym was the catalyst for the HPU account and fiasco. Time will allow that furfie to come full circle.

El Diablo

Post Whore
No clues, I'll just type it.

The club lost $350,000 of sponsorships today. 2 have walked due citing bad publicity and lack of faith in the current board.

Luxbet and Onsite cleaning.

ggggoooorrrrnnnnnnneeeeeeeee

At least one has asked for their logo to be taped up or removed before the next game and have directed all signage be removed by Monday.

GO UNITY!! Yay!!!

amazing if true seeing as Essingbong have not lost one sponsor

If those figures are correct gee we are a Shiite value brand.

Company I work for is sponsoring the Wanderers this season. No spot on the strip just some signage at ground, little kids at the start of the game wearing shirts with our logo,couple of visits by the captain a year , a corporate box for 2 games only and 5 free tix to each game sets us back $100k a year.

Demand and supply people, old Adam Smith keeps being proven right.

taipan

Referee

Company I work for is sponsoring the Wanderers this season. No spot on the strip just some signage at ground, little kids at the start of the game wearing shirts with our logo,couple of visits by the captain a year , a corporate box for 2 games only and 5 free tix to each game sets us back $100k a year.

If any brand took a decent hit in the past,try the Dogs and even the Storm.Both penalised severely ,both lost sponsors,none relocated or removed,all regained their branding.
Look at precedents.We are worse off financially understandably ,but we have doubled membership,have a development that will finally bring in revenue and a passionate support base with a big junior league.The ARLC are rational thinkers one would have thought,they would hardly ignore these factors and the potential loss of this grassroots and fan base support.

Pig Champion

Juniors

Not looking very Sunni.

bluey

Bench
I actually doubt if his heart was in in from the outset.
It just doesn't look right from where i am standing

Special K

Coach
Dogs and storm were one offs with either a different market or a large fan base. We are a small fan base in a saturated market... Very different

spider

Coach
Sponsors cant be blamed for pulling the pin. Its amazing how negative perception can effect a business, which for some people that may pay the mortgage and feed the family.

If the brand is so good then it wont be an issue replacing any sponsor that leaves, or attracting new ones.

If you stand back and take an objective view of the brand over this season with the off-field allegations, its a dead set rabble, and whilst it drags on each day the legal bills for the club are on the rise.

It would be interesting to know what legals are up to currently.

Special K

Coach
Spider is correct. We don't have a great brand or a good brand. I work in sales so I would be selling this as an opportunity to connect with a passionate fan base, while small very loyal. I still drink Pepsi due to that deal...

Problem is the fan base is so small and we have a history of f**k ups. Even with all their problems(and its just as bad as us)the tigers won't be battling to get sponsors on the front of their jersey. We positioned ourselves this year to cash in on a good roster and good publicity, ASADA screwed that - can't blame the commercial staff IMO.

taipan

Referee
Dogs and storm were one offs with either a different market or a large fan base. We are a small fan base in a saturated market... Very different

Dogs: Pretty serious issue in Coffs plus a big salary cap issue,not exactly a one off.Their brand according to one high profile PR guru Max Markson ,was supposedly beyond repair.The anti dogs sentiment at the time was all pervasive in the media and on talkback.

Storm: The only saving feature ATT was News ltd behind them.They are in a big market and I agree they should be there from a long term perspective and the city itself, but they are barely sighted in their media

As to ourselves re fan base, well considering all the dramas this year their average is above Manly/Parra/Dragoons/Tigers/Penriff.Three of which supposedly heartland.
Look at the current Wests v Tigers infighting and need for money.
Look at the dramas at the Titans last year.

Whilst our brand has been tarnished,it is BS to suggest it cant be resurrected.A classic example is our 5/8th.
I have been on this rock long enough to note,people have short memories and after a couple of years get on with life .
Whilst we are going through hell ATM,and a costly one at that.I am optimistic about the future.
I spent 4 years in sales eons ago as a rep,and one thing I learned ,alienate(insert by NRL orders) your long term loyal customers(insert fanbase and juniors in a middle class area) ,and they will go elsewhere,because in a free enterprise society there are alternative products and services.The NTh Sydney Bears is a classic example of my commentary.

Last edited:

Special K

Coach
Ok if you believe the dogs brand was beyond repair how do you see ours? Go ahead and factor in fan bases the lot.

taipan

Referee
Ok if you believe the dogs brand was beyond repair how do you see ours? Go ahead and factor in fan bases the lot.

I stated Markson viewed the brand as being beyond repair.He is supposedly a PR ,marketing guru to the masses and the elite whatever.
The results at the dogs showed it was not beyond repair,their barnd is up there with the best now,that;s my point.

Lets take a worst case scenario from a layman's perspective.
This is what I understand and I amy have missed something.
!) serious governance issues due to underfunding,hence the board being kept in the dark..The board gets a legal investigative expert(Kavanagh) in to do her homework They acted staright away.
2) Allegations about missuse of supplements to footballers ,yet to be proven.
3) Cullen appointed to get new structures in place.He makes a comment about the financials of the club being better than quite a few other NRL clubs.
4) Noyce a respected CEO comes in to get the football side in order and leave the other dramas to ASADA and the NRL.
5) Noyce responds to ABC allegations some of which are a rehash and others made with inferences.
6)The Flanno account I suggest will be shown to be nothing more than a holdoing account for gym materials,Coulda been done better,but I suggest no dark secrets like ABC does.
7)The ARLC/NRL will no doubt be fully aware of the $300m development,which incorporates the licensed club and field and will eventually lead to a much upgraded fully owned facility.The development after all was approved under a State govt D/A clausing.
8) The team has been competitive since the dramas began with the odd hiccup.The community despite the copuple of sponsorship drops,has given them decent support.

spider

Coach
Finance will be the hurdle in resurrecting the brand over the short term now that there are even stricter covenants in place from the bank.

Hence why the legal bills are going to be a major pain in the ass.

taipan

Referee
Finance will be the hurdle in resurrecting the brand over the short term now that there are even stricter covenants in place from the bank.

Hence why the legal bills are going to be a major pain in the ass.

Totally agree.The bills are the biggest stumbling block.

The way I see it, provided the NRL wants to see us remain in situ.
We will have to go cap in hand to them and secure short term repayable funding with interest, to cover these debts.
It may come to a reduction in annual grants,but this could be offset by decent new sponsorship.
Sponsors are testy to commit to a deal,when they are unsure a club will be around long term.if the NRL commits thus,and the dramas are sorted out by whatever means,then that is a better opportunity to secure further funding.

From outside the square ,the retail development in particular whilst servicing the local community on a day to day basis,would be further enhanced with NRL games,bringing more custom into the licensed club and retail outlets.
Owning one's own ground offers opportunities not just for rl,but for the new incorporated within the NRL sport of touch .

Megalodon

Juniors
Keep in mind that the Leagues Club will have to find an estimated $10M for the rejuvenation & remodelling of the Leagues Club.

spider

Coach
And don't they have to initiate that move within 12 months?

They will have their doors closed in the next couple of years, and that's a generous time frame.

Latest posts