What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stalled and stagnant Sydney clubs

Wb1234

Referee
Im not, I’m talking the 2023-2027 tv deal!
I know you and Perth red probably struggle to find Cronulla on a map of Sydney but the area is amazing. It’s got loads of local beach’s and nice restaurants on the water.

it’s really a small version of the Gold Coast but right in a major city.

the fact they have a thriving junior league and the club is now rich doesn’t hurt either

the area has houses worth more than 10 million.

I know you and Perth red probably struggle to find Cronulla on a map of Sydney but the area is amazing. It’s got loads of local beach’s and nice restaurants on the water.

it’s really a small version of the Gold Coast but right in a major city.

the fact they have a thriving junior league and the club is now rich doesn’t hurt either

the area has houses worth more than 10 million.
It's a beautiful area, like the Gold Coast and Perth. I just don't think Sutherland has enough people to support an NRL team. Its population is less than 250k, making it around the size of Ipswich. There's no team in Ipswich.

Logan has around 330k, produces more NRL talent than Sutherland and is arguably the most parochial rugby league region in Australia, yet it doesn't have a team. There are plenty of affluent suburbs in Logan, too, but I don't see people rallying for a team based on that reason alone. There's no way Logan will get a team of its own because it would be sandwiched between Broncos and Titans, but for that reason Sharks shouldn't be in the NRL.

If Sharks were to represent all of Southern Sydney and Illawarra then they would be strong and a valuable asset to the NRL, but they don't and cannot while the Dragons are in the competition and have them sandwiched into Sutherland.

siv

First Grade
What makes you so confident it couldn't happen?

We've already seen seven established NSWRL clubs bite the dust despite having gaming machine revenue as an income stream. South Sydney, North Sydney, Western Suburbs, Balmain, Manly Warringah, St George and Newtown. Cronulla Sutherland needed to be bailed out. That's eight clubs bankrolled by gaming machines who've found themselves in financial strife over the last forty years. They couldn't handle the transition from semi-professionalism to professionalism.

What makes you think they would fare any better without pokies?

Balmain went from being the senior partner of the Wests Tigers to owning just 10% after getting rid of their pokies. That pretty much sums up what would have happened to most Sydney clubs if they never had access to gaming machines from 1956 in an alternate universe where BRL clubs had pokies to fill their coffers. See the current day Redcliffe Dolphins, Easts Tigers and Wynnum Manly Seagulls to see how powerful BRL can be with pokies in their Leagues Clubs. That's after less than 30 years of having gaming machine revenue available in Queensland, compared to the NSWRL clubs having it for 66 years.
You cant argue about Balmain

The NRL Grant and sponsorships and merchandise. They main revenue stream other than LC grant moved directly to Wests-Tigers

Wests technically had the same issue, but they survived because of their LC

Its the Balmain council who stopped the Balmain LC redevelopment

Something similar happened up in the Gold Coast when their CoE ran into issues

Wb1234

Referee
It's a beautiful area, like the Gold Coast and Perth. I just don't think Sutherland has enough people to support an NRL team. Its population is less than 250k, making it around the size of Ipswich. There's no team in Ipswich.

Logan has around 330k, produces more NRL talent than Sutherland and is arguably the most parochial rugby league region in Australia, yet it doesn't have a team. There are plenty of affluent suburbs in Logan, too, but I don't see people rallying for a team based on that reason alone. There's no way Logan will get a team of its own because it would be sandwiched between Broncos and Titans, but for that reason Sharks shouldn't be in the NRL.

If Sharks were to represent all of Southern Sydney and Illawarra then they would be strong and a valuable asset to the NRL, but they don't and cannot while the Dragons are in the competition and have them sandwiched into Sutherland.
Dragons will move to the gong leaving the sharks to cover the far southern Sydney area

western Brisbane will be the 19 th in the nrl

siv

First Grade
Telstra just bought a 51% stake in Fetch TV, pending ACCC approval. It'll be interesting to see if Telstra retain their 35% stake in Foxtel. I'm hoping it leads to an agreement between Fetch and Foxtel to share NRL games. That can only be good for the game.
Sounds like one of those deals to capture customers

You saw something similar happen to bigger small providers in the mobile phone industry

will move to the gong leaving the sharks to cover the far southern Sydney area western Brisbane will be the 19 th in the nrl
Wollongong cannot support a team on its own and it would be an insult to give them one when larger regional cities like Sunshine Coast are unrepresented. Not every small region of NSW can have a team.

Last edited:

yadamisha

Juniors
Dragons will move to the gong leaving the sharks to cover the far southern Sydney area

western Brisbane will be the 19 th in the nrl
Its already happening with the junior league with the Shire's CSDJRL basically running the combined comps from U12s up (under the Southern District banner) due to the St George Junior clubs not having enough teams to run their own comp. As a result they come and join in with the Sharks juniors who do have enough teams in each age group to still be running their own standalone comp. St George Juniors need the Cronulla comp, the Cronulla comp does not need the St George teams.

The ironic thing about posters having a go at Sydney clubs for support (sometimes fairly and sometimes not) is that the Roosters are often missed and they stick out like the proverbial.

Their membership numbers are on par with Canterbury (who can’t win a game) and less than the Tigers (who haven’t made the finals in what 10 years). Can you imagine the membership numbers for those clubs if they had 20 years of almost uninterrupted success?
That's rubbish a very small percentage of people take up memberships- The Easts Group League/Sporting clubs have over 50 thousand members who all could be Roosters fans.

One could add those to membership numbers in that case.

Wb1234

Referee
Wollongong cannot support a team on its own and it would be an insult to give them one when larger regional cities like Sunshine Coast are unrepresented. Not every small region of NSW can have a team.
Sunshine Coast has an nrl team

wollgongong certainly can support an nrl team as the crowd showed today

the Gordon’s are billionaires.

Colk

First Grade
That's rubbish a very small percentage of people take up memberships- The Easts Group League/Sporting clubs have over 50 thousand members who all could be Roosters fans.

One could add those to membership numbers in that case.

Could being the very operative word. It would be easier to suggest that they are just members because it is their local or they like the facilities.

For example, I am a member of Wests Leagues Club in Newcastle and I don’t follow either the Knights or have ever watched a Wests Newcastle game - and I have watched many local league games.

CM67

Juniors
First and foremost I’m a fan of the game and want to see it reach its full potential.
You are definitely following the wrong game my friend.I once lived in hope of that too but the PVL era has shown me that the insular,self protecting agenda of many will prevail.

Colk

First Grade
Not long for the CC Bears

Everything is ready and 17k turning up to local games

I’m sorry to break the news to you but that’s never going to happen. You can still catch the Bears in the NSW Cup though

Wb1234

Referee
I’m sorry to break the news to you but that’s never going to happen. You can still catch the Bears in the NSW Cup though
I wouldn’t necessarily say never

the arlc seems to want conferences. If so there’s certainly a place for a central coast team

the central coast is in a high growth area, the population just keeps growing

Colk

First Grade
I wouldn’t necessarily say never

the arlc seems to want conferences. If so there’s certainly a place for a central coast team

the central coast is in a high growth area, the population just keeps growing

That doesn’t make sense. If they want conferences (which is the stupidest thing ever to happen) they could literally pick anyone outside of Sydney.

In any case there is absolutely no commercial value in a CC side and you aren’t adding any active supporters by putting them in.

Colk

First Grade
Its already happening with the junior league with the Shire's CSDJRL basically running the combined comps from U12s up (under the Southern District banner) due to the St George Junior clubs not having enough teams to run their own comp. As a result they come and join in with the Sharks juniors who do have enough teams in each age group to still be running their own standalone comp. St George Juniors need the Cronulla comp, the Cronulla comp does not need the St George teams.

That doesn’t mean they should move to Wollongong though. In order to conclude that they should you need to know what the junior participation rates are in the Illawarra region.

Without knowing that and even more so if the numbers indicate that they are low in the Wollongong region, that would suggest that not enough talent can be generated for two sides from Cronulla to Wollongong

Ozzi_78

First Grade
50 pages of wasted time.

Lets be realistic for a moment;

There is absolutely zero chance any clubs in Sydney will ever be forced by the NRL to relocate, merge or be kicked out.

The only rationalisation that may come from Sydney is if a club dies naturally so cut to discussing the financial viability of clubs and guess/discuss/curse or wish your hearts away.

I don’t profess to know everything about all Sydney clubs but from my limited knowledge there is 1 maybe 2 that are a small chance of busting and even that seems highly unlikely for the 2 clubs I’m thinking of.

But by all means please carry on….

Colk

First Grade
50 pages of wasted time.

There is absolutely zero chance any clubs in Sydney will ever be forced by the NRL to relocate, merge or be kicked out.

The only rationalisation that may come from Sydney is if a club dies naturally so cut to discussing the financial viability of clubs and guess/discuss/curse or wish your hearts away.

I don’t profess to know everything about all Sydney clubs but from my limited knowledge there is 1 maybe 2 that are a small chance of busting and even that seems highly unlikely for the 2 clubs I’m thinking of.

That’s true but that doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be some attempt at improvement.

It also doesn’t mean we should be adding a CC team (which is the most ridiculous suggestion ever - if you want a CC side move a f****** Sydney side). We should be looking to grow the sport - add a Perth side, add a NZ 2 side and then maybe an Adelaide/Brisbane 3/NZ 3 for the 20th side - you know places outside of NSW.

Wb1234

Referee
That doesn’t make sense. If they want conferences (which is the stupidest thing ever to happen) they could literally pick anyone outside of Sydney.

In any case there is absolutely no commercial value in a CC side and you aren’t adding any active supporters by putting them in.
Of course there is commercial value to broadcasters. And they will add lots of active fans too

Reactions: siv

Wb1234

Referee
50 pages of wasted time.

Yep there’s no chance a Sydney club will move now with the funding the way it is

Latest posts