What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Aragorn

First Grade
Episodes VIII and IX were scheduled for May '17 and May '19 releases originally I think.

I don't understand why they need to delay them so long. It works with Marvel because they also have individual movies to release in the time between which all continue the same storyline, but thats not happening here. They only have origin story movies scheduled for release which all occur before Force Awakens.

I wish they would have just punched out 3 movies in 3 years ala the LOTR trilogy. Much more satisfying.

Two years is nothing relative to the 30 odd most die hard fans have had to wait.

Toys, games, dvd sales will all maintain demand and then hit fever pitch again come Christmas of 2017. Its genius marketing the more I think about it, and it gives the producers plenty of time to perfect any flaws they might find along the way.

Danish

Referee
Two years is nothing relative to the 30 odd most die hard fans have had to wait.

Toys, games, dvd sales will all maintain demand and then hit fever pitch again come Christmas of 2017. Its genius marketing the more I think about it, and it gives the producers plenty of time to perfect any flaws they might find along the way.

If the other star wars universe movies they are releasing bomb, then 4 years is a long time for them to be able to maintain that level of excitement. Mind you it is Star Wars. They could release 3 movies of Jar Jar just standing there slowly shitting his pants and they'd still make $1 billion+ per episode :lol:

Looking at it from a non "lets try to suck as much f**king money out of this as possible" perspective, though, releasing them once per year would be much better from a storytelling perspective. 12 months is just enough time to sit there stewing on theories and analysing the blu ray before seeing the next installment of the story.

Problem is they are instead just going to be releasing Star Wars movies every year in perpetuity until the entire concept has been f**ked out ala the Marvel Universe

Danish

Referee
It will be interesting to see if they can explain how Vader will go from being all powerful right hand man to the Emperor at the end of 3 into a somewhat dismissed annoyance by some of the higher ranking officers at the start of 4.

Leia would need to be in Rogue One as well, surely? She is a leader of the rebellion after all. I suppose it depends where exactly in between 3 and 4 it is set though

LESStar58

Referee
It will be interesting to see if they can explain how Vader will go from being all powerful right hand man to the Emperor at the end of 3 into a somewhat dismissed annoyance by some of the higher ranking officers at the start of 4.

Leia would need to be in Rogue One as well, surely? She is a leader of the rebellion after all. I suppose it depends where exactly in between 3 and 4 it is set though

I've had this discussion with mates so many times before; how does Tarkin have such an influence over Vader to the point he can get him to stop force choking Admiral Motti and order him around?

Apey

Staff member
Shame there wasn't twitter 40 years ago we could have had a Docile Darth writing funny tweets about Tarkin.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
It will be interesting to see if they can explain how Vader will go from being all powerful right hand man to the Emperor at the end of 3 into a somewhat dismissed annoyance by some of the higher ranking officers at the start of 4

Lazy writing.....

Caped Crusader

Juniors

Repeated failures to crush the rebellion maybe? Pretty sure his awe would have worn off if he was failing to get the job done

Actually, Mon Mothma is the head of the Rebel Alliance

Rogue One is more military focused and likely one a squad of commandos/Intel troops. It could easily be done without either Vader or Leia appearing. The Galaxy is a large place

Aragorn

First Grade
Repeated failures to crush the rebellion maybe? Pretty sure his awe would have worn off if he was failing to get the job done

Actually, Mon Mothma is the head of the Rebel Alliance

Rogue One is more military focused and likely one a squad of commandos/Intel troops. It could easily be done without either Vader or Leia appearing. The Galaxy is a large place

Darth is easy enough to replicate on the big screen given he's wearing a mask and all....

I hope they have him in there for nostaligic value. Will add more bumps on seats as well....

Danish

Referee
I've had this discussion with mates so many times before; how does Tarkin have such an influence over Vader to the point he can get him to stop force choking Admiral Motti and order him around?

I think the honest to goodness answer stems form Lucas not actually having put as much weight in Vader in the original trilogy, and only when writing the prequels did he try to shoe horn him into being this all powerful chosen one. There are a mega amount of plot holes when moving between Revenge of the Sith and New Hope after all.

I would like them to try and go some way towards fixing them up with these movies though. Perhaps having a cocky Vader being the one who is responsible for losing the death star plans. Maybe some regular empire generals come up with the death star, and the Rebels try - but fail - to steal the plans. Vader then steps in and declares that the plans would be safer in his hands than anyone elses and takes them to his own hiding place where he believes he can use his mastery of the force to protect them. However, he is taken off guard by feeling a presence in the force that he could swear is Padme (which in actual fact is his presumed dead daughter), and this allows the Rebels to capture the plans and cause great embarrassment to Vader amongst the Empires leaders.

Thats just me spitballing of course :lol:

adamkungl

Immortal
Vader has always been a pawn. As a jedi he is not particularly powerful by the time 4 5 6 rolls around. He is a crippled shadow of his former self. His power/infuence stems from the fact that
a) He has the backing of the Emperor with a huge fleet and army, which protects him from any real threats
and b) Even weakened, as the only remaining Jedi he has power over almost anyone else

Aragorn

First Grade
I'd love it if they dive a little deeper into Vader, and similiar to Kylo Ren, what you actually find is an insecure person who is easily mis-lead and manipulated.

Not the strong person he makes himself to be.

A storyline that portrays him as a bad guy, but a bad guy, even the bad guys all hate ie the empires generals etc.

That would be an interesting twist to the character - although everyone will just point and say they're ripping off Kylo Ren!

You can't just have him go from an arrogant, whiny bitch like Anakin, then to an insecure, pussy like Kylo and then to the beast that is Vader.

His character doesn't need to change, just have him appear.

vvvrulz

Coach
You guys are right back there, Vadar was never intended to me anything particularly massive.
He gets ridiculed, talked down on, sent out to do the dirty work. He was just a henchman who grew in stature over time.

Hard to disagree Aragorn. Given that Lucas said that the story arc of the six movies was meant to be about Anakin/Vader you'd think he'd have been portrayed a little differently, particularly in the prequels.

Latest posts