What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stephen Kearney and Parra

SDM

First Grade
The Tigers looked like making a break every set today. More often than Hindy it was MK working his guts out from the inside shutting it down. He is our future clean up man. Look forward to his 250th.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
C'mon Poupou, Keating is to hookers what Robson is to halves, they fill in because you've got noone else. Keating is slow passing the ball, doesn't know when to run and more importantly doesn't know when NOT to run, Avenger is right on this one.

Difference is Keating's a first grader. That's why he was re-signed, and why Anthony Mitchell was given the arse mid-season.

Keating's as good as Matt Ballin, and Manly's running second with him in their side.

You're right he's not the smartest or most skillful hooker but he only has to listen to the calls, slow the markers down, and pass it where he's been told to. He's created loads of space for our useless halves this year.

His running game is fine. He's no Isaac Luke but he's got nearly as many LBs (3) as Cam Smith (4) despite playing fewer games and with shittier teammates.

Not all gameplans are built around playmaking or running from dummy half, including half the teams in the top 8 (Manly, Brisbane, Newcastle and the Dragons).

ThirdEye

Juniors
Put everything in perspective how well do you think Anderson would have gone with the same team this year? He had a team that made a grand final in 09 then added Poore Timana and Shack, we went from Grand Final to nothing.

Mooks was given this team this year, next year he will have a team that he wants and his tenure should be judged from next year on.

Mooks has made this club consistent we had a 10 week period where we were in every match we have played all year with no7 , no 6 and an average 9 and our best option for fullback playing 6 because he has to.

next year we will have a 7 and a 6 and hayne will go back to full back, we will have centers and we will be even more competitive by having the class to actually score points and finish of the games.

Mooks will be a good coach for the eels short term pain for long term gain ...
Pardon my ignorance, but who is 'Mooks'?

IFR33K

Coach
Had ando stayed I don't think we would have come last ... I think Eric would have stayed and I think he makes a massive difference if he stays healthy

It's impossible to say how things would have turned out tho. I don't think anyone should find coming last in any way acceptable, it's total crap . Sure we have massive holes in our roster but so do some other teams, we should not be last. But we've had some promising times this year so there's plenty of hope for next year

But, but, but, I read a post that said the coaching staff or the admin wouldn't be to concerned about getting the spoon.

It's been a very very long season. Hopefully SK can get us out of this mess come 2012

CrazyEel

Bench
Difference is Keating's a first grader. That's why he was re-signed, and why Anthony Mitchell was given the arse mid-season.

Keating's as good as Matt Ballin, and Manly's running second with him in their side.

You're right he's not the smartest or most skillful hooker but he only has to listen to the calls, slow the markers down, and pass it where he's been told to. He's created loads of space for our useless halves this year.

His running game is fine. He's no Isaac Luke but he's got nearly as many LBs (3) as Cam Smith (4) despite playing fewer games and with shittier teammates.

Not all gameplans are built around playmaking or running from dummy half, including half the teams in the top 8 (Manly, Brisbane, Newcastle and the Dragons).
He was resigned, at bargain rates, because he's all we have. Have no idea what point you're trying to make about Mitchell, unless you're trying to do a Robson/Morts comparison.

I'll grant you he's a solid fill in with good defence but the exact same can, and often has been, said about Robson and Morts. None of the 3 are anything more than fringe 1st graders IMO. For me it's not so much Keating's lack of skill but his obvious lack of being able to read play, he just chooses the wrong option too many times for my liking.

eel01s

Bench
I think we have to stick with SK, given his medium and long term plans for the club.

The culture of the club needs to change, to do that there has to be some hard decisions made. I reckon SK and Co. might just have the balls to do it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He was resigned, at bargain rates, because he's all we have. Have no idea what point you're trying to make about Mitchell, unless you're trying to do a Robson/Morts comparison.

I'll grant you he's a solid fill in with good defence but the exact same can, and often has been, said about Robson and Morts. None of the 3 are anything more than fringe 1st graders IMO. For me it's not so much Keating's lack of skill but his obvious lack of being able to read play, he just chooses the wrong option too many times for my liking.

What I'm saying is, in the structure Kearney wants to play, we don't need so much from a hooker.

80 minutes, plenty of defence, give the ball where you've been told to give it.

Manly, St George-Illawarra, Brisbane and Newcastle all play that way and they all save money at dummy half.

It's not comparable to Robson because every team needs more from a halfback than Robson offers. The only exception was the 2009 Eels offloading kings. But that style is shit without a lot of luck.

CrazyEel

Bench
What I'm saying is, in the structure Kearney wants to play, we don't need so much from a hooker.

80 minutes, plenty of defence, give the ball where you've been told to give it.

Manly, St George-Illawarra, Brisbane and Newcastle all play that way and they all save money at dummy half.

It's not comparable to Robson because every team needs more from a halfback than Robson offers. The only exception was the 2009 Eels offloading kings. But that style is shit without a lot of luck.
I know what you're saying Poupou, that's why I'm f**king arguing with you because I don't agree with you.

Are we a bucket load under the cap? That has something to do with our position on the ladder as well as a new coach. What about our inability to get cranky and play for each other. We dont sting in defence and there seems to be no great camaraderie when we do good things. Billy Slater scores and his team mates are there to congratulate him as hard as they are to tackle the opposition. Parra's job is to win but the difference between that and a desire to win are two different things.

CrazyEel

Bench
What don't you agree with? My points about the way those four teams use their dummy half is not opinion, it is demonstrable fact.
I don't agree that it's the best use of a dummy half which is probably a good pointer as to why all 4 of those teams are behind the team who uses the position as it should. Dummy half is a very key position today and should not be ignored, it is a huge advantage to have someone in that position who is capable of reading the play.

leo9999

Juniors
I Really dont understand Kearney he says its a rebuilding year ? Right ok, So why play McGuire Halfback. Just play him starting hooker or off the bench and have a morts or humble at halfback ? Chris Hicks why is he even considered ? Reason because SK wants him to reach 200 NRL Appearances before he retires.

Seriously iam nervous even for next season. The way Kearneys wanted us to play this season, is just run kick and pass, nothing fancy no skill no offloads just boring tactics, no real set plays we dont look dangerous in attack, And our defence is crap, i dont want to bag any players, But Lasalo is a waste in our 2nd row, he's not good enough. I just hope next season he's not starting ahead of benny smith.

And about Jarryd Hayne, Next Season, ide like to see him at Centre. Our backline would look really dangerous, Knowing you have Tonga and Hayne in the Centres. And Esi and Loko on the wing. Ide love to see that backline, With Burt Fullback.

Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach
And about Jarryd Hayne, Next Season, ide like to see him at Centre. Our backline would look really dangerous, Knowing you have Tonga and Hayne in the Centres. And Esi and Loko on the wing. Ide love to see that backline, With Burt Fullback.

I think playing Hayne on one side of the field is just a waste. The defence only has to defend on one side of the field.... Why not play him at full back where he can bob up wherever he needs to be?

Eels Dude

Coach
I think playing Hayne on one side of the field is just a waste. The defence only has to defend on one side of the field.... Why not play him at full back where he can bob up wherever he needs to be?

Agreed. If you play Hayne in the centres he'd rarely see the ball.