What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stephen Kearney takes break from Four Nations to lay down law to Eels players

forward pass

Coach
By the way guys, that run was 8 kilometres long! Stephen Kearney sure cuts to the chase on their first day back at training.....guess he really wants to get them into shape.
Big news is that Shane Shackleton completed the run perfectly fine!

I am pretty sure Hayden Knowles would set the early training program I imagine.

Stagger eel

Staff member
According to several articles, there are rumours he could be playing in the NRL next year....strange.

And before you criticise me, I know his age. It's just rumours being circulated in some media articles.

Boxhead, I think I've seen several various articles about our club and not one mentions the possability of him playing NRL, I'd be interested to see where you're getting it from..

I am pretty sure Hayden Knowles would set the early training program I imagine.

he would be consulted by the head coach regarding team and individual programs.

SDM

First Grade
A professional footballer ? LOL

5137246334_526e4204fc_b.jpg

The black shoes are very slimming

http://www.centralwesterndaily.com....al/tough-first-day-back-for-eels/1984883.aspx
Tough first day back for Eels

BY NICK MCGRATH
01 Nov, 2010 07:16 PM
RUGBY LEAGUE
YESTERDAY was a new day for the Parramatta Eels in more ways than one.
November 1 marked the blue and golds’ first day back at training in preparation for the 2011 NRL season and for former Orange CYMS half Daniel Mortimer, getting back into the groove of things proved a bit harder than he thought it would.
But yesterday’s date also signalled the beginning of Stephen Kearney’s reign as Eels coach.
Mortimer said the NRL squad had a short meeting with the club’s new mentor yesterday morning, and Kearney’s attitude had already become infectious.
“He was only here for a little while and then he had to jet back to camp with New Zealand in Melbourne,” Mortimer said.
“He basically came in and laid down the law. He said if everyone wants it as much as he does then the club would be successful.”
Mortimer said a number of new faces were at the club’s first session.
“A lot of the younger boys are training with us and guys like Casey Maguire and Carl Webb, the experienced guys, were all there,” he said.
“It was good to get back into things, catch up with everyone, and then get stuck into training.”
And that’s where the enjoyment ended.
Eels conditioner Hayden Knowles put the squad through their paces, running them to a stand still around Parramatta Park.
“We did two laps around the park and I think one lap is 10 kilometres,” Mortimer said.
“We did a lot of running. It was a big shock to a few of the boys including me.”
Kearney, the New Zealand national coach for the past three years, takes over from Daniel Anderson as the Eels head coach in 2011.
What plans Kearney has for Mortimer are unknown.
It’s widely tipped that former Manly premiership winning halfback Matt Orford will sign on with the club after receiving a release from his contract with Bradford in the English Super League.
Mortimer could partner Orford in the halves but the 21-year-old said nothing was set in stone at this early stage.
“Not at all. It’s only the first day. There are a lot of new players and guys that can play in a few positions. I don’t think anything will be decided until next year,” he said.
Regardless of all that, Mortimer is just keen to get back out on the field.
Last season was a forgettable one for Mortimer and he believes 2011 will be a big one for himself, and the club.
“I’m definitely excited for this year (2011) to begin,” he said.
“I really want to get out there and prove myself and really take my skills to the next level.” The Eels will head to the New England region today as part of the club’s Blue and Gold Deadly Heart program.

webby does look a little trimmer than durning the season with the cowboys, he looked like he wore a 5XL jersey up there, looks like a 3XL will fit him now.

SDM

First Grade
It reflects worse on the big bloke who has chosen Big Carl as a running partner, and is blowing harder.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Lol Poor guys 8 km runs, here I thought my hour at the gym was painful .

^^ Carl Webb is going to kill it next year just watch !! Can't wait to see him in the eels jersey.

Our defensive line in the middle third is gonna look great, not many gaps there, especially with Carl wearing canary yellow

Noise

Coach
looks like mortz is looking for another big year of quotes in the papers. Can we get some kind of tally going?

^b0ss^

Juniors
Yea as aboved posted 8km is nothing. i use to swim 6 kms a day and cycle and run in parra park for triathlons. 8km for young men is warm up. harden up Australia. :)

Gronk

Staff member
It reflects worse on the big bloke who has chosen Big Carl as a running partner, and is blowing harder.

They didn't chose each other. They were just the tail enders. Both very unfit obviously.

boxhead

First Grade
Look, Mortimer is good with the media. There's no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to talk, he is one of our most well known and popular players.

Good article. It also confirms Casey Mcguire was there, and it also reveals a strong chance for us to sign Matt Orford.

That's good to hear about all the players, Kearney and the staff.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I suppose you fellas would take the piss out of and knock back Sam Thaiday, too, because he has a gut and doesn't look "like a professional footballer". :roll:

Gronk

Staff member
http://www.centralwesterndaily.com....al/tough-first-day-back-for-eels/1984883.aspx
Tough first day back for Eels

BY NICK MCGRATH
01 Nov, 2010 07:16 PM
RUGBY LEAGUE
YESTERDAY was a new day for the Parramatta Eels in more ways than one.
November 1 marked the blue and golds’ first day back at training in preparation for the 2011 NRL season and for former Orange CYMS half Daniel Mortimer, getting back into the groove of things proved a bit harder than he thought it would.
But yesterday’s date also signalled the beginning of Stephen Kearney’s reign as Eels coach.
Mortimer said the NRL squad had a short meeting with the club’s new mentor yesterday morning, and Kearney’s attitude had already become infectious.
“He was only here for a little while and then he had to jet back to camp with New Zealand in Melbourne,” Mortimer said.
“He basically came in and laid down the law. He said if everyone wants it as much as he does then the club would be successful.”
Mortimer said a number of new faces were at the club’s first session.
“A lot of the younger boys are training with us and guys like Casey Maguire and Carl Webb, the experienced guys, were all there,” he said.
“It was good to get back into things, catch up with everyone, and then get stuck into training.”
And that’s where the enjoyment ended.
Eels conditioner Hayden Knowles put the squad through their paces, running them to a stand still around Parramatta Park.
“We did two laps around the park and I think one lap is 10 kilometres,” Mortimer said.
“We did a lot of running. It was a big shock to a few of the boys including me.”

Kearney, the New Zealand national coach for the past three years, takes over from Daniel Anderson as the Eels head coach in 2011.
What plans Kearney has for Mortimer are unknown.
It’s widely tipped that former Manly premiership winning halfback Matt Orford will sign on with the club after receiving a release from his contract with Bradford in the English Super League.
Mortimer could partner Orford in the halves but the 21-year-old said nothing was set in stone at this early stage.
“Not at all. It’s only the first day. There are a lot of new players and guys that can play in a few positions. I don’t think anything will be decided until next year,” he said.
Regardless of all that, Mortimer is just keen to get back out on the field.
Last season was a forgettable one for Mortimer and he believes 2011 will be a big one for himself, and the club.
“I’m definitely excited for this year (2011) to begin,” he said.
“I really want to get out there and prove myself and really take my skills to the next level.” The Eels will head to the New England region today as part of the club’s Blue and Gold Deadly Heart program.

10k ? LOL one lap of Parra Park is 3km. Man these guys are soft. No wonder we are crap.

boxhead

First Grade
Boxhead, I think I've seen several various articles about our club and not one mentions the possability of him playing NRL, I'd be interested to see where you're getting it from..

he would be consulted by the head coach regarding team and individual programs.

I forget where it was, I believe I saw it in two articles that talked about his signing. Again though, it was just some little rumour they were spreading for excitement value.

Latest posts