What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stephen Kearney waits on rubber stamp for Eels job [AND THURSTON!]

TheRam

Coach
This Ram guy has got up me before for no good reason. I think he has some issues he needs to sort out. I wouldn't worry too much about his insults.

Hey Bra, I'm sure it was warranted, but don't take things to seriously, I know I don't, no matter how I sound in my posts. As I keep saying, this is just a footy forum, not a courtroom hearing.

Stagger eel

Staff member
great our defence has never been the problem. From what i remember lowrie rated hagan so i really dont give a f**k what he thinks of a coach.

Manu is a winger & at the end of the day he has been involved in a team that has cheated for the last 5 years & the year they didnt start cheating they didnt make the semi's

Dream on about kearney. If he dont make the semi's i expect the same treatment DA got

so does that mean your opinion carries more weight than blokes you mentioned, if so, what are your qualifications?

TheRam

Coach
I'll tell the old girl she is 'green'...She get a good laugh out of that...
I'm too old for boilers now...:lol:

Maybe I should have said blue...blue rinse that is. D'oh...#-o

Too old for boilers, are you kidding Pete? You are an old boiler the way you carry on. :lol:

boxhead

First Grade
Mate of mine went on a harbour cruise yeaterday. Brett Kenny was one of the guests. He did a half hour talk during the luncheon. Basically confirmed that Kearney will be taking over, which is no surprise anyway.
Kenny also said that one of Andersons major problems was that he was a very poor communicator. Gave the example of several times this season, Ando called up players from Wenty, and Kenny wasn't told. He would find out about it in the media. Make of it what you will. I'm just passing on the info.

Source: My mate, Matt.

Suity

Thanks for the information mate, that is good news to hear :) I guess we all sort of knew it was happening, but you never know until confirmation comes out :cool:
With the information that is coming out, sadly, it does seem like the board were justified in what they did.....but then again, I don't think it is really our place to say whether they were justified or not....they had the opinion I guess.....

great our defence has never been the problem. From what i remember lowrie rated hagan so i really dont give a f**k what he thinks of a coach.

Manu is a winger & at the end of the day he has been involved in a team that has cheated for the last 5 years & the year they didnt start cheating they didnt make the semi's

Dream on about kearney. If he dont make the semi's i expect the same treatment DA got

I strongly disagree with everything in this post.........firstly, in my view if you combine our recent defensive structure with Kearney's defensive structure, it could turn us into a team that is even better defensively.....potentially. It doesn't hurt to have a coach who is defensive minded, but the thing is, if he imparts on us the structure and confidence/culture that Melbourne have, we will be 100% better already. What we have lacked under Anderson in structure in attack, something that Kearney will most definitely bring, as well as confidence and far better man-management/communication. Kearney also isn't a complete hard-ass like Anderson was, and potentially may have better relationships with other plays.......plus, the suggestion has been raised before that some of the New Zealand International players may follow Kearney here.....I don't think there is any substance to that but it is interesting nonetheless.

What does Manu being a winger have to do with whether his opinion is valid or not? You will find that players not heavily involved in the play can give feedback as good if not better than what props and second rowers do; Luke Burt is a smart guy as we all know, and if you asked him on the team what the coach was doing, he would be able to tell you all the deep nuances of what's happening and also report on the effectiveness of the training and the coach......Manu played under Kearney in an international team, and everyone respects the Beast, so if he gives a wrap to Kearney that is a very good thing....
Also, what's with that particular sentiment about the Warriors? That is a bit of a bad allegation to raise.....and what does it have to do with Manu's credibility?

Kearney will stay for more than one year, I could guarantee.......why? The board came out and said they will stick with the new coach for an extended period of time, even if he under-performs; for a 'junior' first-grade coach like Kearney, they will have to stick true to this. Kearney could very well take us to the minor premiership and the grand final, you never know. There is a proven record of first-year coaches winning premierships, I don't know about you but junior coaches seem to start very well in Rugby League.....and when Wayne Bennett has a big wrap on Kearney as well, you know that he is going to be one of the great coaches of the future......

That's just my opinion anyway...

parra pete

Referee
Maybe I should have said blue...blue rinse that is. D'oh...#-o

Too old for boilers, are you kidding Pete? You are an old boiler the way you carry on. :lol:

I sure am an old boiler....no denial from me on that count.....

parra pete

Referee
These days I like to think of myself as 'experienced'.

Interested to read Brett's comment of coach Anderson, as posted by Suity.
Wonder how Brett saw his own coaching performance in 2010 with the Wenty boys?
He should be mindful of the song lyric that warns every time you throw a little dirt, you lose a little ground.

big boppa eel

Juniors
Mate of mine went on a harbour cruise yeaterday. Brett Kenny was one of the guests. He did a half hour talk during the luncheon. Basically confirmed that Kearney will be taking over, which is no surprise anyway.
Kenny also said that one of Andersons major problems was that he was a very poor communicator. Gave the example of several times this season, Ando called up players from Wenty, and Kenny wasn't told. He would find out about it in the media. Make of it what you will. I'm just passing on the info.

Source: My mate, Matt.

Suity
Very poor form on Anderson's part if true, its not even a communication problem, I c it as more of a respect issue.

big boppa eel

Juniors

Manu Vatuvai not Sika Manu.

big boppa eel

Juniors
Thanks for the information mate, that is good news to hear :) I guess we all sort of knew it was happening, but you never know until confirmation comes out :cool:
With the information that is coming out, sadly, it does seem like the board were justified in what they did.....but then again, I don't think it is really our place to say whether they were justified or not....they had the opinion I guess.....

I strongly disagree with everything in this post.........firstly, in my view if you combine our recent defensive structure with Kearney's defensive structure, it could turn us into a team that is even better defensively.....potentially. It doesn't hurt to have a coach who is defensive minded, but the thing is, if he imparts on us the structure and confidence/culture that Melbourne have, we will be 100% better already. What we have lacked under Anderson in structure in attack, something that Kearney will most definitely bring, as well as confidence and far better man-management/communication. Kearney also isn't a complete hard-ass like Anderson was, and potentially may have better relationships with other plays.......plus, the suggestion has been raised before that some of the New Zealand International players may follow Kearney here.....I don't think there is any substance to that but it is interesting nonetheless.

What does Manu being a winger have to do with whether his opinion is valid or not? You will find that players not heavily involved in the play can give feedback as good if not better than what props and second rowers do; Luke Burt is a smart guy as we all know, and if you asked him on the team what the coach was doing, he would be able to tell you all the deep nuances of what's happening and also report on the effectiveness of the training and the coach......Manu played under Kearney in an international team, and everyone respects the Beast, so if he gives a wrap to Kearney that is a very good thing....
Also, what's with that particular sentiment about the Warriors? That is a bit of a bad allegation to raise.....and what does it have to do with Manu's credibility?

Kearney will stay for more than one year, I could guarantee.......why? The board came out and said they will stick with the new coach for an extended period of time, even if he under-performs; for a 'junior' first-grade coach like Kearney, they will have to stick true to this. Kearney could very well take us to the minor premiership and the grand final, you never know. There is a proven record of first-year coaches winning premierships, I don't know about you but junior coaches seem to start very well in Rugby League.....and when Wayne Bennett has a big wrap on Kearney as well, you know that he is going to be one of the great coaches of the future......

That's just my opinion anyway...
Sorry boxhead way too long, but in previous post sounded like u preferred Stuart now u saying Kearney could be one of the greates coaches, Im confused.:?

boxhead

First Grade
Sorry boxhead way too long, but in previous post sounded like u preferred Stuart now u saying Kearney could be one of the greates coaches, Im confused.:?

Sorry, my previous post did make it look like I would prefer Stuart, but in reality my preference is far and away Kearney :)

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Hey Bra, I'm sure it was warranted, but don't take things to seriously, I know I don't, no matter how I sound in my posts. As I keep saying, this is just a footy forum, not a courtroom hearing.

I'm just stirring most of the time. I guess we sort of knew Kearney was the coach already. Just funny that the announcement came from Bert. But hey nothing surprises me with the communication of info from the eels anymore.

TheRam

Coach
These days I like to think of myself as 'experienced'.

Interested to read Brett's comment of coach Anderson, as posted by Suity.
Wonder how Brett saw his own coaching performance in 2010 with the Wenty boys?
He should be mindful of the song lyric that warns every time you throw a little dirt, you lose a little ground.

Funny you should say that Raider Pete cos I was watching the footy show on channel One the other day, I forget what it was called TCL or something like that. Anyway they asked Matt Elliott to be Wayne Bennett for a minute and to tell us all what his tactics would be on how to defeat the Chooks in the Grand Final.

Well in probably less then 30 secs he summarized a thorough and detailed plan of attack on what needed to be done and sounded just as you would expect from a 1st grade coach and was spot on in his analysis.

Then it was Kenny's go to be Brian Smith. To say it was disappointing is putting it mildly. He seemed uncomfortable to start with and then not convincing at all. I can't really remember what he said, it wasn't that he was wrong in what he was saying either, but it was lame and unconvincing in the way he said it and in noway as complete as you would expect from a coach and legend of the sport.

I love Bert as a legend of our club, but as a coach, a coach he does not make.

Suitman

Post Whore
I'm just stirring most of the time. I guess we sort of knew Kearney was the coach already. Just funny that the announcement came from Bert. But hey nothing surprises me with the communication of info from the eels anymore.

Apparantly, Kenny back tracked a little when he realised what he'd said.
He ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, ol' Brett.

Suity

parra pete

Referee
I had a good day and an evening with Brett at SOO in Brisbane a couple of years ago. I enjoyed his company. I sat next to him at the match and also enjoyed his analysis of the State of Origin match we were at.
Very interesting indeed to say the least. Brett was good company and willing to take a joke at himself.
At the end of the match, when the Queensland SOO blokes were doing their lap of honour..he stood and yelled "Quuuuuuueeenslander"...:lol: much to the delight of the other blokes in the SouthsLogan box ...

strider

Post Whore
but of course we are told to believe that there are not any leaks coming from within the inner circle

I know kearney being coach is the worst kept secret in the world, but this is just an example of loose lips within our club .... kenny's been told - how many others? - he's blabbed - how many others have blabbed? ..... sure who cares on this occasion - but who says this isn't a repeating pattern for plenty of sh*t which finds its way to the media?

too many people being told a bit too much imo

Stagger eel

Staff member
Brett's comments are interesting considering the fact he's got his own coaching issues, mind you, we made sure we didn't miss him when it came to critisism, and no one seemed to have a problem with that..

I agree with Jake I hope the Wenty coaching job goes to someone more worthy, Like assistant Aaron McDonald.

Latest posts